You can now buy a brand-new Apple iPhone for just $399
This post contains references to products from one or more of our advertisers. We may receive compensation when you click on links to those products. Terms apply to the offers listed on this page. For an explanation of our Advertising Policy, visit this page.
I’ve been spending the past few months with the iPhone 11 Pro Max, Apple’s flagship smartphone, with three cameras, a super-speedy processor and a giant 6.5-inch screen. It’s an exceptional device, with photography chops unlike anything else I’ve encountered with a device of its size. But at $1,099, it’s also a splurge — especially at a time when consumers are being especially mindful about how they spend.
At the same time last year, Apple launched a similarly capable lower-cost device, the iPhone 11, which starts at $699. But even still, that price tag makes the device out of reach of some.
That’s where the new iPhone SE comes in — it has the same A13 Bionic processor in a smaller, scaled-down handset, with a 4.7-inch Retina display, a single 12-megapixel camera and a far lower, $399 starting price tag. It’ll be available to pre-order this Friday, April 17, and ships the following Friday, on April 24.
While the SE doesn’t have the same camera capabilities as Apple’s more premium devices — there’s no 2x telephoto or 0.5x ultra-wide cam to speak of — the A13 Bionic processor does support Portrait Mode, one of my favorite iPhone camera features. With that mode enabled, you can capture a subject and adjust the lighting and depth of field later, giving you a ton of flexibility, even after you capture a shot.
You can also shoot 4K video, at up to 60 frames per second, and there’s built-in optical image stabilization, support for slow-mo video at 240fps, a Portrait Mode option for the selfie camera and more. The device also sports dual SIM card support, via a nano-SIM and eSIM, so you can use your home SIM card and a local international SIM at the same time.
Also on the travel front, iPhone SE supports Apple Pay, including the Apple Card, and has IP67 water resistance, so you don’t have to worry about damaging your device, even if it takes an accidental dip in the pool or gets caught in a rainstorm. If you decide to place an order, be sure to make your purchase using a card that offers purchase protection, or loss and damage protection, as outlined in far more detail in this post.
Featured photo courtesy of Apple.
Welcome to The Points Guy!
Earn 50,000 bonus miles and 5,000 Medallion® Qualification Miles (MQMs) after you spend $2,000 in purchases on your new card in your first three months of card membership. Plus, earn up to $100 back in statement credits for eligible purchases at U.S. restaurants with your card within the first 3 months of membership.
With Status Boost™, earn 10,000 Medallion Qualification Miles (MQMs) after you spend $25,000 in purchases on your Card in a calendar year, up to two times per year getting you closer to Medallion Status. Earn 3X Miles on Delta purchases and purchases made directly with hotels, 2X Miles at restaurants and at U.S. supermarkets and earn 1X Mile on all other eligible purchases. Terms Apply.
- Earn 50,000 bonus miles and 5,000 Medallion® Qualification Miles (MQMs) after you spend $2,000 in purchases on your new Card in your first 3 months.
- Plus, earn up to $100 back in statement credits for eligible purchases at US restaurants with your card within the first 3 months of membership.
- Accelerate your path to Medallion Status, with Status Boost®. Plus, in 2021 you can earn even more bonus Medallion® Qualification Miles (MQMs) to help you reach Medallion Status.
- Earn 3X Miles on Delta purchases and purchases made directly with hotels.
- Earn 2X Miles at restaurants worldwide, including takeout and delivery and at U.S. supermarkets.
- Earn 1X Miles on all other eligible purchases.
- Receive a Domestic Main Cabin round-trip companion certificate each year upon renewal of your Card. *Payment of the government imposed taxes and fees of no more than $75 for roundtrip domestic flights (for itineraries with up to four flight segments) is required. Baggage charges and other restrictions apply. See terms and conditions for details.
- Enjoy your first checked bag free on Delta flights.
- Fee Credit for Global Entry or TSA Pre✓®.
- Enjoy an exclusive rate of $39 per person per visit to enter the Delta Sky Club® for you and up to two guests when traveling on a Delta flight.
- No Foreign Transaction Fees.
- $250 Annual Fee.
- Terms Apply.
- See Rates & Fees