Another Potential Measles Exposure at Newark Liberty International Airport
This post contains references to products from one or more of our advertisers. We may receive compensation when you click on links to those products. Terms apply to the offers listed on this page. For an explanation of our Advertising Policy, visit this page.
The New Jersey Department of Health has reported yet another potential measles exposure at Newark Liberty International Airport (EWR).
According to CBS New York, a measles-infected traveler arrived at EWR in Terminal B from Tokyo, Japan, and left for Quebec Airport (YQB), Canada, on May 29. They warn that anyone in the airport between 5pm on May 29 and 3:30pm on May 30 may have been exposed to the highly-contagious virus. New Jersey residents aboard the same flights as the individual will be contacted by their local health department.
If you’re concerned you might have been exposed, common measles symptoms include fever, coughing, runny nose, sore throat, inflamed eyes, conjunctivitis and Koplik’s Spots — which is a rash of small white spots with bluish-white centers on a red complexion that can be found inside the mouth or on the inner lining of the cheek. It takes an average of 10 to 12 days for symptoms to develop.
This is one of several exposures that have occurred at EWR this year. The Centers for Disease Control and Prevention (CDC) reported that there have been 971 cases confirmed in the US at the end of May — a majority of which have been concentrated in New York City. This comes amid the largest-ever measles outbreak in the US since its elimination in 2000, and stats continue to grow.
The most effective method of preventing measles is by getting two doses of the measles, mumps and rubella vaccine (MMR). This offers 97% immunity to the virus, according to Dr. Manisha Patel, team leader for measles epidemiology at the CDC. If you’re unsure if you’ve been inoculated, or only had one round of the vaccine, the CDC also suggests you check your medical records or visit a physician.
Health professionals, in the most recent edition of the CDC Yellow Book, which advises travelers on vaccinations, added a recommendation that travelers should absolutely be vaccinated against MMR before leaving the US.
Featured image by Ryan Patterson/The Points Guy.
Welcome to The Points Guy!
Earn 90,000 bonus miles and 10,000 Medallion® Qualification Miles (MQMs) after you spend $3,000 in purchases on your new card in the first three months of card membership. Offer ends 11/10/2021.
With Status Boost™, earn 10,000 Medallion Qualification Miles (MQMs) after you spend $25,000 in purchases on your Card in a calendar year, up to two times per year getting you closer to Medallion Status. Earn 3X Miles on Delta purchases and purchases made directly with hotels, 2X Miles at restaurants and at U.S. supermarkets and earn 1X Mile on all other eligible purchases. Terms Apply.
- Limited Time Offer: Earn 90,000 Bonus Miles and 10,000 Medallion® Qualification Miles (MQMs) after you spend $3,000 in purchases on your new Card in your first 3 months. Offer expires 11/10/2021.
- Earn up to 20,000 Medallion® Qualification Miles (MQMs) with Status Boost® per year. After you spend $25,000 in purchases on your Card in a calendar year, you can earn 10,000 MQMs two times per year, getting you closer to Medallion® Status. MQMs are used to determine Medallion® Status and are different than miles you earn toward flights.
- Earn 3X Miles on Delta purchases and purchases made directly with hotels.
- Earn 2X Miles at restaurants worldwide, including takeout and delivery and at U.S. supermarkets.
- Earn 1X Miles on all other eligible purchases.
- Receive a Domestic Main Cabin round-trip companion certificate each year upon renewal of your Card. *Payment of the government imposed taxes and fees of no more than $75 for roundtrip domestic flights (for itineraries with up to four flight segments) is required. Baggage charges and other restrictions apply. See terms and conditions for details.
- Enjoy your first checked bag free on Delta flights.
- Fee Credit for Global Entry or TSA Pre✓®.
- Enjoy an exclusive rate of $39 per person per visit to enter the Delta Sky Club® for you and up to two guests when traveling on a Delta flight.
- No Foreign Transaction Fees.
- $250 Annual Fee.
- Terms Apply.
- See Rates & Fees