The CDC Yellow Book Is Your Secret Weapon Against Measles (And Other Diseases You Can Get While Traveling)
This post contains references to products from one or more of our advertisers. We may receive compensation when you click on links to those products. Terms apply to the offers listed on this page. For an explanation of our Advertising Policy, visit this page.
If you’re traveling abroad, you should be reading the Yellow Book, says Dr. Manisha Patel.
Patel is the team leader for measles epidemiology for the Centers for Disease Control and Prevention (CDC) and has been busy lately discussing the recent, frequent measles outbreaks. In a conversation we had with her in March, she emphatically recommended that all travelers planning on venturing outside the US get familiar with the 2018 CDC Health Information for International Travel guide. Or, in more colloquial terms, the CDC Yellow Book.
The CDC Yellow Book is an exhaustive guide of health advice tailored to international travelers. It’s published every two years and can be used as a reference for health professionals, or a resource for everyday tourists visiting other countries. The book covers a wide range of topics including the US government’s current travel health guidelines, pre-travel vaccine recommendations, and health advice specific to your destination. It also provides useful maps, tables and many, many charts.
The Yellow Book has been around, in some form, for quite a while (the oldest incarnations we’ve found dated back to the early 90s.) In its most recent version, health professionals added a recommendation that travelers should absolutely be vaccinated against measles, mumps and rubella (MMR) before leaving the US. It also has an entire chapter (Chapter 3 in the “Infectious Disease Related to Travel” section) that breaks down nearly every known aspect of the measles virus from epidemiology, diagnosis, prevention, treatment, vaccination and beyond. Within this section, the CDC also recommends that all international travelers who aren’t sure about their MMR immunity status check to see if they have had two rounds of shots before leaving the country. The best way to prevent measles is the vaccine — which offers 97% immunity.
Aside from measles information, the 2018 edition of the Yellow Book includes up-to-date advice on Zika, Ebola, MERS and cholera (with vaccine recommendations). It also has a wealth of destination-specific guides with considerations for different types of travel like wilderness expeditions, studying abroad, work trips and more.
The CDC Yellow Book is available in multiple forms. You can download it onto your smartphone (Androids included), peruse it here, on the CDC website, or buy your very own physical copy if you’re thinking of traveling off the grid.
For the latest travel news, deals and points and miles tips please subscribe to The Points Guy daily email newsletter.
Image courtesy of Shutterstock.
Welcome to The Points Guy!
Earn 50,000 bonus miles and 5,000 Medallion® Qualification Miles (MQMs) after you spend $2,000 in purchases on your new card in the first three months of card membership. Plus, earn up to $100 back in statement credits for eligible purchases at U.S. restaurants in the first three months of card membership.
With Status Boost™, earn 10,000 Medallion Qualification Miles (MQMs) after you spend $25,000 in purchases on your Card in a calendar year, up to two times per year getting you closer to Medallion Status. Earn 3X Miles on Delta purchases and purchases made directly with hotels, 2X Miles at restaurants and at U.S. supermarkets and earn 1X Mile on all other eligible purchases. Terms Apply.
- Earn 50,000 Bonus Miles and 5,000 Medallion® Qualification Miles (MQMs) after you spend $2,000 in purchases on your new Card in your first 3 months.
- Plus, earn up to $100 back in statement credits for eligible purchases at U.S. restaurants with your card within the first 3 months of membership.
- Earn up to 20,000 Medallion® Qualification Miles (MQMs) with Status Boost® per year. After you spend $25,000 in purchases on your Card in a calendar year, you can earn 10,000 MQMs two times per year, getting you closer to Medallion® Status. MQMs are used to determine Medallion® Status and are different than miles you earn toward flights.
- Earn 3X Miles on Delta purchases and purchases made directly with hotels.
- Earn 2X Miles at restaurants worldwide, including takeout and delivery and at U.S. supermarkets.
- Earn 1X Miles on all other eligible purchases.
- Receive a Domestic Main Cabin round-trip companion certificate each year upon renewal of your Card. *Payment of the government imposed taxes and fees of no more than $75 for roundtrip domestic flights (for itineraries with up to four flight segments) is required. Baggage charges and other restrictions apply. See terms and conditions for details.
- Enjoy your first checked bag free on Delta flights.
- Fee Credit for Global Entry or TSA Pre✓®.
- Enjoy an exclusive rate of $39 per person per visit to enter the Delta Sky Club® for you and up to two guests when traveling on a Delta flight.
- No Foreign Transaction Fees.
- $250 Annual Fee.
- Terms Apply.
- See Rates & Fees