An Airline With No Planes Just Bought 20 Boeing Dreamliners
This post contains references to products from one or more of our advertisers. We may receive compensation when you click on links to those products. Terms apply to the offers listed on this page. For an explanation of our Advertising Policy, visit this page.
Boeing announced Monday a new order for 20 787-9 Dreamliners, in a deal that would be worth $5.6 billion at current list prices. The customer? An airline you’ve probably never heard of — Bamboo Airways.
Bamboo Airways is a Vietnamese startup airline that plans to begin commercial operations in 2019 out of Hanoi’s Noi Bai International Airport (HAN). It’s wholly-owned by the FLC Group, a conglomerate, focusing on aviation, real estate, resorts, farming, and golf. Yes, you read that right: commercial aviation and farming both being offered by the same company. The airline currently has zero planes in its fleet, but it does have a memorandum of understanding with Airbus for up to 24 A321neo aircraft so it’s an ambitious airline for sure.
The 787-9 has a range of over 8,700 miles and is the same type of aircraft which Qantas uses to operate the world’s second-longest flight — between Perth (PER) and London Heathrow (LHR) — indicating that the airline has major growth plans. “Our long-term vision is to connect Vietnam to key markets within Asia, Europe and North America and the capabilities of these new state-of-the-art Dreamliners will help us achieve our goals,” said FLC chairman Trinh Van Quyet, in a statement emailed by Boeing.
Bamboo Airways has completed the deposit requirement to reserve the 20 aircraft and expects to take delivery of them from April 2020 through 2021. However, Flight Global reports that the airline is working with Boeing to take delivery of the aircraft earlier so that it could begin international service in 2019.
This order comes amidst a major growth of low-cost carriers in Asia, such as Air Asia X. However, the newcomer airline plans to run a “hybrid” business model, offering passengers low fares while maintaining services you’d expect from a full-service carrier — somewhat similar to JetBlue.
Featured image courtesy of Boeing.
Welcome to The Points Guy!
Earn 50,000 bonus miles and 5,000 Medallion® Qualification Miles (MQMs) after you spend $2,000 in purchases on your new card in your first three months of card membership. Plus, earn up to $100 back in statement credits for eligible purchases at U.S. restaurants with your card within the first 3 months of membership.
With Status Boost™, earn 10,000 Medallion Qualification Miles (MQMs) after you spend $25,000 in purchases on your Card in a calendar year, up to two times per year getting you closer to Medallion Status. Earn 3X Miles on Delta purchases and purchases made directly with hotels, 2X Miles at restaurants and at U.S. supermarkets and earn 1X Mile on all other eligible purchases. Terms Apply.
- Earn 50,000 bonus miles and 5,000 Medallion® Qualification Miles (MQMs) after you spend $2,000 in purchases on your new Card in your first 3 months.
- Plus, earn up to $100 back in statement credits for eligible purchases at US restaurants with your card within the first 3 months of membership.
- Accelerate your path to Medallion Status, with Status Boost®. Plus, in 2021 you can earn even more bonus Medallion® Qualification Miles (MQMs) to help you reach Medallion Status.
- Earn 3X Miles on Delta purchases and purchases made directly with hotels.
- Earn 2X Miles at restaurants worldwide, including takeout and delivery and at U.S. supermarkets.
- Earn 1X Miles on all other eligible purchases.
- Receive a Domestic Main Cabin round-trip companion certificate each year upon renewal of your Card. *Payment of the government imposed taxes and fees of no more than $75 for roundtrip domestic flights (for itineraries with up to four flight segments) is required. Baggage charges and other restrictions apply. See terms and conditions for details.
- Enjoy your first checked bag free on Delta flights.
- Fee Credit for Global Entry or TSA Pre✓®.
- Enjoy an exclusive rate of $39 per person per visit to enter the Delta Sky Club® for you and up to two guests when traveling on a Delta flight.
- No Foreign Transaction Fees.
- $250 Annual Fee.
- Terms Apply.
- See Rates & Fees