Amtrak taps another aviation executive to lead the railroad
This post contains references to products from one or more of our advertisers. We may receive compensation when you click on links to those products. Terms apply to the offers listed on this page. For an explanation of our Advertising Policy, visit this page.
Amtrak seems to see some benefit in remodeling itself in the image of an airline.
William J. Flynn, the CEO of freight carrier Atlas Air, will take charge of the intercity railroad beginning April 15.
Amtrak has been led by former Delta Air Lines CEO Richard Anderson since July 2017. He’ll stick around at Amtrak through the end of 2020 to ease Flynn’s transition.
Under Anderson’s leadership, Amtrak has become more like an airline, bit-by-bit. Acela first class passengers have been able to select seats in advance since 2018, and the railroad said it plans to roll that option out to more routes and classes of service in the future. For the routes that don’t have assigned seating, Amtrak operates more like Southwest, in that passengers can take any seat on a first come, first served basis.
(Amtrak does not, however, employ Southwest’s grouped boarding procedure, which — at New York Penn Station, the company’s busiest — can lead to a mad dash to the platform when a train’s track is announced, as passengers race to their preferred seats.)
Amtrak also introduced more restrictive policies on its cheapest tickets this month, making them non-refundable and unchangeable more than 24 hours after booking.
The railroad has also recently been cutting costs, including by changing its onboard catering practices and considering suspending some low-revenue routes. The New York Times reported that Amtrak will turn a profit this year for the first time in a number of decades.
Amtrak’s board seems confident that Flynn will keep the railroad on its current track.
“Bill is the right executive to lead us into the future,” Tony Coscia, Amtrak’s board chairman, said in a statement. “We’ve never been stronger as a company than we are today. We are modernizing the customer experience and delivering our service to more people. Bill has a consistent track record of growing and improving complex transportation businesses. We are confident he will build upon the strong foundation of record-setting growth and improvement set by the Board, Richard and the entire Amtrak team.”
Flynn also said he’s excited to keep improving the railroad and the customer experience.
“Amtrak’s future is incredibly bright and I’m excited to join the team,” he added in the release. “Amtrak service is vital to millions of Americans across the nation and by improving the customer experience, driving safety, and strengthening our partnership with states and other stakeholders, we can do much more for the American people.”
Among those improvements, the Northeast Corridor between Boston and Washington will see new Acela train sets introduced into service next year. The updated Acela trains will be more energy efficient and have a higher top speed than the current rolling stock.
Featured photo by Andrew Harrer/Bloomberg via Getty Images
Welcome to The Points Guy!
Earn 90,000 bonus miles after you spend $3,000 in purchases within the first three months of card membership. Plus, earn a $200 statement credit after your first Delta purchase within the first three months. Offer ends 7/28/21.
With Status Boost™, earn 10,000 Medallion Qualification Miles (MQMs) after you spend $25,000 in purchases on your Card in a calendar year, up to two times per year getting you closer to Medallion Status. Earn 3X Miles on Delta purchases and purchases made directly with hotels, 2X Miles at restaurants and at U.S. supermarkets and earn 1X Mile on all other eligible purchases. Terms Apply.
- Limited Time Offer: Earn 90,000 Bonus Miles after spending $3,000 in purchases on your new Card in your first 3 months and a $200 statement credit after you make a Delta purchase with your new Card within your first 3 months. Offer expires 7/28/2021.
- Limited Time Offer: Plus, get a 0% intro APR on purchases for 12 months from the date of account opening, then a variable 15.74%-24.74%. Offer expires 7/28/2021.
- Accelerate your path to Medallion Status, with Status Boost®. Plus, in 2021 you can earn even more bonus Medallion® Qualification Miles (MQMs) to help you reach Medallion Status.
- Earn 3X Miles on Delta purchases and purchases made directly with hotels.
- Earn 2X Miles at restaurants worldwide, including takeout and delivery and at U.S. supermarkets.
- Receive a Domestic Main Cabin round-trip companion certificate each year upon renewal of your Card. *Payment of the government imposed taxes and fees of no more than $75 for roundtrip domestic flights (for itineraries with up to four flight segments) is required. Baggage charges and other restrictions apply. See terms and conditions for details.
- Enjoy your first checked bag free on Delta flights.
- Fee Credit for Global Entry or TSA Pre✓®.
- Enjoy an exclusive rate of $39 per person per visit to enter the Delta Sky Club® for you and up to two guests when traveling on a Delta flight.
- No Foreign Transaction Fees.
- $250 Annual Fee.
- Terms Apply.
- See Rates & Fees