Book by Thursday to save 25% on Amtrak award trips
This post contains references to products from one or more of our advertisers. We may receive compensation when you click on links to those products. Terms apply to the offers listed on this page. For an explanation of our Advertising Policy, visit this page.
Back in 2016, Amtrak’s Guest Rewards program moved from a fixed zone system to revenue-based redemptions, with point requirements tied to the cash price of a ticket. Redemptions are generally paired to the “Value” category and above, with rates varying depending on the product you book.
TPG values Guest Rewards points at 2.5 cents apiece. During a recent search, meanwhile, a standard Northeast Regional train redemption offered a value of 2.89 cents, while an Acela train offered a redemption value of 1.7 cents, based on cash fares.
This week, however, redemption amounts have dropped across the board, as part of Amtrak’s three-day flash sale, running from today, Jul 14, through Thursday, July 16. While rates vary depending on the train and route you select, Amtrak’s quoting the following redemption values for popular trips:
I’m actually seeing slightly lower rates on a route I’ve traditionally traveled quite often, between my home in New York City and my family in Philadelphia. Even for same-day travel, award rides are available for just 1,449 points.
Compared with the “Value” category fare of $56, that represents a redemption value of 3.87 cents, in line with Amtrak’s advertised 25% discount.
Note that Amtrak doesn’t partner with the most popular transferable points programs, like American Express Membership Rewards or Chase Ultimate Rewards, but you can still transfer points from the below programs into your Amtrak account. Be sure to check with your program of choice before initiating a transfer, as the sale may end before your points arrive.
|Hertz Gold Plus Rewards||600:500|
|Wyndham Rewards||5:1 (6,000:1,200)|
The terms and conditions state that blackout dates apply, but I was able to book with the discount all the way through the end of the current schedule, in June of 2021. Awards can generally be canceled and refunded before departure with a 10% penalty, or within 24 hours of departure with a 20% penalty — if you’re reasonably certain you’ll be able to ride as booked, it could make sense to take advantage of this sale, even if you aren’t expecting to travel for quite some time.
Featured photo by Melanie Lieberman/The Points Guy.
Welcome to The Points Guy!
Earn 90,000 bonus miles and 10,000 Medallion® Qualification Miles (MQMs) after you spend $3,000 in purchases on your new card in the first three months of card membership. Offer ends 11/10/2021.
With Status Boost™, earn 10,000 Medallion Qualification Miles (MQMs) after you spend $25,000 in purchases on your Card in a calendar year, up to two times per year getting you closer to Medallion Status. Earn 3X Miles on Delta purchases and purchases made directly with hotels, 2X Miles at restaurants and at U.S. supermarkets and earn 1X Mile on all other eligible purchases. Terms Apply.
- Limited Time Offer: Earn 90,000 Bonus Miles and 10,000 Medallion® Qualification Miles (MQMs) after you spend $3,000 in purchases on your new Card in your first 3 months. Offer expires 11/10/2021.
- Earn up to 20,000 Medallion® Qualification Miles (MQMs) with Status Boost® per year. After you spend $25,000 in purchases on your Card in a calendar year, you can earn 10,000 MQMs two times per year, getting you closer to Medallion® Status. MQMs are used to determine Medallion® Status and are different than miles you earn toward flights.
- Earn 3X Miles on Delta purchases and purchases made directly with hotels.
- Earn 2X Miles at restaurants worldwide, including takeout and delivery and at U.S. supermarkets.
- Earn 1X Miles on all other eligible purchases.
- Receive a Domestic Main Cabin round-trip companion certificate each year upon renewal of your Card. *Payment of the government imposed taxes and fees of no more than $75 for roundtrip domestic flights (for itineraries with up to four flight segments) is required. Baggage charges and other restrictions apply. See terms and conditions for details.
- Enjoy your first checked bag free on Delta flights.
- Fee Credit for Global Entry or TSA Pre✓®.
- Enjoy an exclusive rate of $39 per person per visit to enter the Delta Sky Club® for you and up to two guests when traveling on a Delta flight.
- No Foreign Transaction Fees.
- $250 Annual Fee.
- Terms Apply.
- See Rates & Fees