Book by Thursday to save 25% on Amtrak award trips
This post contains references to products from one or more of our advertisers. We may receive compensation when you click on links to those products. Terms apply to the offers listed on this page. For an explanation of our Advertising Policy, visit this page.
Back in 2016, Amtrak’s Guest Rewards program moved from a fixed zone system to revenue-based redemptions, with point requirements tied to the cash price of a ticket. Redemptions are generally paired to the “Value” category and above, with rates varying depending on the product you book.
TPG values Guest Rewards points at 2.5 cents apiece. During a recent search, meanwhile, a standard Northeast Regional train redemption offered a value of 2.89 cents, while an Acela train offered a redemption value of 1.7 cents, based on cash fares.
This week, however, redemption amounts have dropped across the board, as part of Amtrak’s three-day flash sale, running from today, Jul 14, through Thursday, July 16. While rates vary depending on the train and route you select, Amtrak’s quoting the following redemption values for popular trips:
I’m actually seeing slightly lower rates on a route I’ve traditionally traveled quite often, between my home in New York City and my family in Philadelphia. Even for same-day travel, award rides are available for just 1,449 points.
Compared with the “Value” category fare of $56, that represents a redemption value of 3.87 cents, in line with Amtrak’s advertised 25% discount.
Note that Amtrak doesn’t partner with the most popular transferable points programs, like American Express Membership Rewards or Chase Ultimate Rewards, but you can still transfer points from the below programs into your Amtrak account. Be sure to check with your program of choice before initiating a transfer, as the sale may end before your points arrive.
|Hertz Gold Plus Rewards||600:500|
|Wyndham Rewards||5:1 (6,000:1,200)|
The terms and conditions state that blackout dates apply, but I was able to book with the discount all the way through the end of the current schedule, in June of 2021. Awards can generally be canceled and refunded before departure with a 10% penalty, or within 24 hours of departure with a 20% penalty — if you’re reasonably certain you’ll be able to ride as booked, it could make sense to take advantage of this sale, even if you aren’t expecting to travel for quite some time.
Featured photo by Melanie Lieberman/The Points Guy.
Welcome to The Points Guy!
WELCOME OFFER: 80,000 Points
TPG'S BONUS VALUATION*: $1,600
CARD HIGHLIGHTS: 2X points on all travel and dining, points transferrable to over a dozen travel partners
*Bonus value is an estimated value calculated by TPG and not the card issuer. View our latest valuations here.
- Earn 80,000 bonus points after you spend $4,000 on purchases in the first 3 months from account opening. That's $1,000 toward travel when you redeem through Chase Ultimate Rewards®.
- 2X points on travel and dining at restaurants worldwide, eligible delivery services, takeout and dining out & 1 point per dollar spent on all other purchases.
- Get 25% more value when you redeem for airfare, hotels, car rentals and cruises through Chase Ultimate Rewards. For example, 80,000 points are worth $1,000 toward travel.
- Get unlimited deliveries with a $0 delivery fee and reduced service fees on orders over $12 for a minimum of one year on qualifying food purchases with DashPass, DoorDash's subscription service. Activate by 12/31/21.
- Earn 5X points on Lyft rides through March 2022. That’s 3X points in addition to the 2X points you already earn on travel.