In This Michigan Small Town, You Can Hail an ‘Amish Uber’
This post contains references to products from one or more of our advertisers. We may receive compensation when you click on links to those products. Terms apply to the offers listed on this page. For an explanation of our Advertising Policy, visit this page.
Timothy Hochstedler, of Colon, Michigan, is redefining the frontier of ride-sharing with what is being hailed as the “Amish Uber.”
With a population of approximately 1,200 people, ride-sharing apps aren’t really practical in the “magic capital of the world.” (Colon, as it happens, is famous for manufacturing equipment for magicians.) As a result, Uber and similar services are not offered within the city limits.
Now, however, if you’re traveling in St. Joseph’s county, you may be able to hitch a ride with Hochstedler and his horse and buggy. Of course, you’ll have to take the slow — albeit more scenic — route.
A video featuring Hochstedler behind the reins shows him and his Morgan horse trotting down the street, greeting locals as they make their way through the small town. Hochstedler isn’t the only one spreading the love. When talking about his partner-in-crime, Hochstedler said, “A Morgan is a people’s horse. They [love giving] you a kiss.”
According to WWMT-TV, Hochstedler will take you “right to [your] doorstep” for just $5 on weekends.
While Hochstedler may consider his services akin to Uber, you can’t actually use an app to secure your ride on the horse and buggy. Instead, those looking for Hochstedler’s services must flag him down somewhere within the 1.73 square miles of Colon.
Hochstedler has no actual affiliation with Uber, despite the eerily-familiar small talk that often unfolds between ride-share drivers and their passengers. And instead of the iconic Uber sticker stuck to the front of a car windshield, Hochstedler has a piece of paper taped to the side of the cart reading “Amish Horse & Buggy Rides.”
While “Amish Uber” may be the only horse and buggy ride sharing option, it’s hardly the first Uber spin-off to surface. Uber has actually spawned several versions of itself across the world, including UberBOAT in Croatia and Turkey, and even UberWINE and UberWINEXL in Santa Barbra.
Feature image via William Thomas Cain/Getty Images.
Welcome to The Points Guy!
Earn 90,000 bonus miles after you spend $3,000 in purchases within the first three months of card membership. Plus, earn a $200 statement credit after your first Delta purchase within the first three months. Offer ends 7/28/21.
With Status Boost™, earn 10,000 Medallion Qualification Miles (MQMs) after you spend $25,000 in purchases on your Card in a calendar year, up to two times per year getting you closer to Medallion Status. Earn 3X Miles on Delta purchases and purchases made directly with hotels, 2X Miles at restaurants and at U.S. supermarkets and earn 1X Mile on all other eligible purchases. Terms Apply.
- Limited Time Offer: Earn 90,000 Bonus Miles after spending $3,000 in purchases on your new Card in your first 3 months and a $200 statement credit after you make a Delta purchase with your new Card within your first 3 months. Offer expires 7/28/2021.
- Limited Time Offer: Plus, get a 0% intro APR on purchases for 12 months from the date of account opening, then a variable 15.74%-24.74%. Offer expires 7/28/2021.
- Accelerate your path to Medallion Status, with Status Boost®. Plus, in 2021 you can earn even more bonus Medallion® Qualification Miles (MQMs) to help you reach Medallion Status.
- Earn 3X Miles on Delta purchases and purchases made directly with hotels.
- Earn 2X Miles at restaurants worldwide, including takeout and delivery and at U.S. supermarkets.
- Receive a Domestic Main Cabin round-trip companion certificate each year upon renewal of your Card. *Payment of the government imposed taxes and fees of no more than $75 for roundtrip domestic flights (for itineraries with up to four flight segments) is required. Baggage charges and other restrictions apply. See terms and conditions for details.
- Enjoy your first checked bag free on Delta flights.
- Fee Credit for Global Entry or TSA Pre✓®.
- Enjoy an exclusive rate of $39 per person per visit to enter the Delta Sky Club® for you and up to two guests when traveling on a Delta flight.
- No Foreign Transaction Fees.
- $250 Annual Fee.
- Terms Apply.
- See Rates & Fees