Uber Will Now Sell You Snacks and More in Your Ride
This post contains references to products from one or more of our advertisers. We may receive compensation when you click on links to those products. Terms apply to the offers listed on this page. For an explanation of our Advertising Policy, visit this page.
A New York-based start-up that’s partnered with ride-hailing drivers to sell riders snacks and accessories has inked a deal with Uber. Cargo announced Thursday that it’s joining with the ride-hailing giant to offer its services to drivers in an official capacity.
Cargo, launched in 2017, has been a way for ride-sharing drivers to make a little more cash on the side. It gives drivers free boxes filled with items like chips, gum, granola bars, candy, phone chargers and more to sell to passengers. Drivers get to keep 25% percent of the sales and at least $1 per item.
For riders it can be a convenient way to grab a snack or breath mints before an important meeting — although some may view it as relentless marketing making its way into another realm of peoples’ lives.
Cargo does offer free items to riders and drivers still get paid for distributing those — a win-win for both sides. Cargo can do this because brands are willing to pay to get their products in front of a captive audience.
Riders currently pay for the items through the Cargo app, but Uber one day hopes to add that feature right into its own app.
Now, active Uber drivers who have are 4.7 rating or above can pock up a Cargo box from one of Uber’s driver support hubs in San Francisco or Los Angeles. TechCrunch reports that Cargo will continue to offer its services to ride-hailing drivers who work for other companies, too.
Cargo claims that drivers who install the system into their cars make on average an extra $1,200 a year, while the top 10% of earners boost their income by $3,600 a year.
You can also find Cargo boxes in New York, Boston, Minneapolis/Saint Paul, Washington, D.C., Baltimore, Atlanta, and Dallas/Fort Worth.
Featured image courtesy of Cargo.
Welcome to The Points Guy!
WELCOME OFFER: 80,000 Points
TPG'S BONUS VALUATION*: $1,600
CARD HIGHLIGHTS: 2X points on all travel and dining, points transferrable to over a dozen travel partners
*Bonus value is an estimated value calculated by TPG and not the card issuer. View our latest valuations here.
- Earn 80,000 bonus points after you spend $4,000 on purchases in the first 3 months from account opening. That's $1,000 toward travel when you redeem through Chase Ultimate Rewards®.
- 2X points on travel and dining at restaurants worldwide, eligible delivery services, takeout and dining out & 1 point per dollar spent on all other purchases.
- Get 25% more value when you redeem for airfare, hotels, car rentals and cruises through Chase Ultimate Rewards. For example, 80,000 points are worth $1,000 toward travel.
- Get unlimited deliveries with a $0 delivery fee and reduced service fees on orders over $12 for a minimum of one year on qualifying food purchases with DashPass, DoorDash's subscription service. Activate by 12/31/21.
- Earn 5X points on Lyft rides through March 2022. That’s 3X points in addition to the 2X points you already earn on travel.