Uber Will Now Sell You Snacks and More in Your Ride
A New York-based start-up that’s partnered with ride-hailing drivers to sell riders snacks and accessories has inked a deal with Uber. Cargo announced Thursday that it’s joining with the ride-hailing giant to offer its services to drivers in an official capacity.
Cargo, launched in 2017, has been a way for ride-sharing drivers to make a little more cash on the side. It gives drivers free boxes filled with items like chips, gum, granola bars, candy, phone chargers and more to sell to passengers. Drivers get to keep 25% percent of the sales and at least $1 per item.
For riders it can be a convenient way to grab a snack or breath mints before an important meeting — although some may view it as relentless marketing making its way into another realm of peoples’ lives.
Cargo does offer free items to riders and drivers still get paid for distributing those — a win-win for both sides. Cargo can do this because brands are willing to pay to get their products in front of a captive audience.
Riders currently pay for the items through the Cargo app, but Uber one day hopes to add that feature right into its own app.
Now, active Uber drivers who have are 4.7 rating or above can pock up a Cargo box from one of Uber’s driver support hubs in San Francisco or Los Angeles. TechCrunch reports that Cargo will continue to offer its services to ride-hailing drivers who work for other companies, too.
Cargo claims that drivers who install the system into their cars make on average an extra $1,200 a year, while the top 10% of earners boost their income by $3,600 a year.
You can also find Cargo boxes in New York, Boston, Minneapolis/Saint Paul, Washington, D.C., Baltimore, Atlanta, and Dallas/Fort Worth.
Featured image courtesy of Cargo.
Welcome to The Points Guy!
Earn 90,000 bonus miles and 10,000 Medallion® Qualification Miles (MQMs) after you spend $3,000 in purchases on your new card in the first three months of card membership. Offer ends 11/10/2021.
With Status Boost™, earn 10,000 Medallion Qualification Miles (MQMs) after you spend $25,000 in purchases on your Card in a calendar year, up to two times per year getting you closer to Medallion Status. Earn 3X Miles on Delta purchases and purchases made directly with hotels, 2X Miles at restaurants and at U.S. supermarkets and earn 1X Mile on all other eligible purchases. Terms Apply.
- Limited Time Offer: Earn 90,000 Bonus Miles and 10,000 Medallion® Qualification Miles (MQMs) after you spend $3,000 in purchases on your new Card in your first 3 months. Offer expires 11/10/2021.
- Earn up to 20,000 Medallion® Qualification Miles (MQMs) with Status Boost® per year. After you spend $25,000 in purchases on your Card in a calendar year, you can earn 10,000 MQMs two times per year, getting you closer to Medallion® Status. MQMs are used to determine Medallion® Status and are different than miles you earn toward flights.
- Earn 3X Miles on Delta purchases and purchases made directly with hotels.
- Earn 2X Miles at restaurants worldwide, including takeout and delivery and at U.S. supermarkets.
- Earn 1X Miles on all other eligible purchases.
- Receive a Domestic Main Cabin round-trip companion certificate each year upon renewal of your Card. *Payment of the government imposed taxes and fees of no more than $75 for roundtrip domestic flights (for itineraries with up to four flight segments) is required. Baggage charges and other restrictions apply. See terms and conditions for details.
- Enjoy your first checked bag free on Delta flights.
- Fee Credit for Global Entry or TSA Pre✓®.
- Enjoy an exclusive rate of $39 per person per visit to enter the Delta Sky Club® for you and up to two guests when traveling on a Delta flight.
- No Foreign Transaction Fees.
- $250 Annual Fee.
- Terms Apply.
- See Rates & Fees