This post contains references to products from one or more of our advertisers. We may receive compensation when you click on links to those products. For an explanation of our Advertising Policy, visit this page.
A New York-based start-up that’s partnered with ride-hailing drivers to sell riders snacks and accessories has inked a deal with Uber. Cargo announced Thursday that it’s joining with the ride-hailing giant to offer its services to drivers in an official capacity.
Cargo, launched in 2017, has been a way for ride-sharing drivers to make a little more cash on the side. It gives drivers free boxes filled with items like chips, gum, granola bars, candy, phone chargers and more to sell to passengers. Drivers get to keep 25% percent of the sales and at least $1 per item.
For riders it can be a convenient way to grab a snack or breath mints before an important meeting — although some may view it as relentless marketing making its way into another realm of peoples’ lives.
Cargo does offer free items to riders and drivers still get paid for distributing those — a win-win for both sides. Cargo can do this because brands are willing to pay to get their products in front of a captive audience.
Riders currently pay for the items through the Cargo app, but Uber one day hopes to add that feature right into its own app.
Now, active Uber drivers who have are 4.7 rating or above can pock up a Cargo box from one of Uber’s driver support hubs in San Francisco or Los Angeles. TechCrunch reports that Cargo will continue to offer its services to ride-hailing drivers who work for other companies, too.
Cargo claims that drivers who install the system into their cars make on average an extra $1,200 a year, while the top 10% of earners boost their income by $3,600 a year.
You can also find Cargo boxes in New York, Boston, Minneapolis/Saint Paul, Washington, D.C., Baltimore, Atlanta, and Dallas/Fort Worth.
Featured image courtesy of Cargo.
Know before you go.
News and deals straight to your inbox every day.
Earn unlimited 10x miles on hotel stays booked and paid through hotels.com/venture. Pair that with the Hotels.com Rewards program and you'll essentially be getting 20% off of hotel bookings! With the 50,000 mile sign-up bonus you can get up to $700 in value based on TPG's most recent valuations and you'll have the flexibility to transfer those miles to participating airline partners or redeem those miles on any purchase for airfare, hotel stays, car rentals and more.
- Enjoy a one-time bonus of 50,000 miles once you spend $3,000 on purchases within 3 months from account opening, equal to $500 in travel
- Earn 2X miles on every purchase, every day. Plus earn 10X miles on thousands of hotels, through January 2020; learn more at hotels.com/venture
- Named ‘The Best Travel Card' by CNBC, 2018
- Receive up to $100 application fee credit for Global Entry or TSA Pre✓®
- Fly any airline, stay at any hotel, anytime; no blackout dates. Plus transfer your miles to over 12 leading travel loyalty programs
- Miles won't expire for the life of the account and there's no limit to how many you can earn
- No foreign transaction fees
- $0 intro annual fee for the first year; $95 after that