This post contains references to products from one or more of our advertisers. We may receive compensation when you click on links to those products. For an explanation of our Advertising Policy, visit this page.
Check your accounts. American Express is offering some members a transfer bonus when moving points over to Hilton. As first reported by Doctor of Credit, the bonus varies from 10%-50%, though it’s targeted to select cardholders. Here at TPG, we’ve seen an array of offers up to 30%, though a couple of staffers weren’t targeted at all. Unfortunately, none of us received the elusive 50% bonus, though hopefully some of you will.
The standard transfer ratio for is 1:2, where one Membership Rewards point grants you 2 Hilton points. Since TPG values Amex points at 2 cents apiece and Hilton Honors points at just 0.6 cents apiece, this isn’t normally a great use of your points. If you’re targeted for the 50% bonus, you’re instead transferring at a rate of 1:3. That’s better, but it still falls short of a good value for your Membership Rewards points.
However, if you do find yourself needing to transfer — say, to top up an account before a redemption — then this could be the time to do it. Though we’ve previously seen transfer bonuses for up to 100% with American Express and Hilton, that’s a relatively rare occurrence. Something like this new offer is much more common, so it’s probably not worth it to hold out for a higher bonus.
There’s no specific end date on this offer, so if you’re planning on taking advantage of this, it’s better to do it sooner rather than later.
- Hilton Honors Card from American Express: 75,000 points after spending $1,000 in the first three months, with no annual fee (see Rates & Fees)
- Hilton Honors American Express Ascend Card: 125,000 Hilton Honors bonus points after you spend $2,000 in purchases on the card within your first three months of cardmembership, with a $95 annual fee (see Rates & Fees)
- Hilton Honors Aspire Card from American Express: 150,000 points after spending $4,000 in the first three months, with a $450 annual fee (see Rates & Fees)
These offers are worth between $450 and $900 based on TPG’s latest valuations, and are one of the best card options for frequent Hilton customers, earning between 7x-14x points per dollar at Hilton properties. Furthermore, all Hilton credit card members enjoy complimentary elite status, even cardholders with the no-annual-fee Hilton card.
Featured photo by Katie Genter / The Points Guy
Know before you go.
News and deals straight to your inbox every day.
This card is currently offering a welcome bonus of 150,000 bonus points after you spend $4,000 in the first three months.
- Earn 150,000 Hilton Honors Bonus Points with the Hilton Honors Aspire Card from American Express after you use your new Card to make $4,000 in eligible purchases within the first 3 months of Card Membership. Plus, enjoy a free Weekend Night Reward within your first year and every year after renewal.
- Earn 14X Hilton Bonus Points when you make eligible purchases on your Card at participating hotels or resorts within the Hilton Portfolio.
- Earn 7X Bonus Points for eligible purchases: on flights booked directly with airlines or amextravel.com, on car rentals booked directly from select car rental companies & at U.S. restaurants.
- Earn 3X Hilton Honors Bonus Points for all other eligible purchases on your Card.
- Enjoy up to $250 in Hilton Resort Credits on your Card each anniversary year, when you stay at participating resorts within the Hilton portfolio.
- Enjoy complimentary Diamond status with your Hilton Honors Aspire Card.
- $450 annual fee.
- Terms Apply.
- See Rates & Fees