Amex is sending holiday gifts to targeted customers
Over the past few years, Amex has made a habit of surprising and delighting select The Platinum Card® from American Express cardholders with holiday gifts. In the past, these have included BLADE gift cards, Tiffany & Co. gift cards, Amazon Echos and more. It’s unclear how Amex chooses which customers to send gifts to, but this promotion is highly targeted every year.
Amex has begun sending out gifts for the 2019 holiday season, and for the first time in my three years as a Platinum cardholder I was selected to receive one! I received an envelope from Amex with the headline “With appreciation from American Express,” so make sure to pay close attention to your mail before you throw it away.
Inside was a $175 gift code for Hook & Albert, a “modern luxury travel brand” selling high quality leather products.
This was a very nice gift, though as I suspected, $175 didn’t stretch all that far at Hook & Albert. The leather backpack, one of the cheaper items in the catalog, cost $315 and a surprisingly large number of products were out of stock. I was still able to get a new leather bifold wallet, a small packing cube, and a medium leather organization pouch that looks to be the perfect size to carry my kindle on the road so it doesn’t get scratched up.
The total for these three items came to $170 (out of the $175 credit Amex gifted me), though I did have to pay the $7.95 shipping out of pocket.
We polled the TPG Lounge Facebook group and asked what others targeted for this offer received. It included:
- $250 gift card for Tiffany & Co.
- $150 gift card for Frame luxury denim
- $250 gift card for Ippolita jewelry
My wallet is starting to show some wear and tear, but I wasn’t exactly in the market for any new travel accessories. This completely unexpected $175 gift certificate from Amex fits very well with the idea of “Platinum” being a lifestyle brand, and more than just a piece of metal in your wallet. At the very least, it makes me feel a bit better about continuing to pay $550 each year (see rates and fees) to keep my Platinum card open.
For rates and fees of the Platinum Card, please click here.
Have you received a holiday gift from Amex? Let us know in the comments
Featured photo by Wyatt Smith/The Points Guy
Welcome to The Points Guy!
WELCOME OFFER: 80,000 Points
TPG'S BONUS VALUATION*: $1,650
CARD HIGHLIGHTS: 2X points on all travel and dining, points transferrable to over a dozen travel partners
*Bonus value is an estimated value calculated by TPG and not the card issuer. View our latest valuations here.
- Earn 80,000 bonus points after you spend $4,000 on purchases in the first 3 months from account opening. That's $1,000 when you redeem through Chase Ultimate Rewards®. Plus earn up to $50 in statement credits towards grocery store purchases within your first year of account opening.
- Earn 2X points on dining including eligible delivery services, takeout and dining out and travel. Plus, earn 1 point per dollar spent on all other purchases.
- Get 25% more value when you redeem for airfare, hotels, car rentals and cruises through Chase Ultimate Rewards®. For example, 80,000 points are worth $1,000 toward travel.
- With Pay Yourself Back℠, your points are worth 25% more during the current offer when you redeem them for statement credits against existing purchases in select, rotating categories.
- Get unlimited deliveries with a $0 delivery fee and reduced service fees on eligible orders over $12 for a minimum of one year with DashPass, DoorDash's subscription service. Activate by 12/31/21.
- Count on Trip Cancellation/Interruption Insurance, Auto Rental Collision Damage Waiver, Lost Luggage Insurance and more.
- Get up to $60 back on an eligible Peloton Digital or All-Access Membership through 12/31/2021, and get full access to their workout library through the Peloton app, including cardio, running, strength, yoga, and more. Take classes using a phone, tablet, or TV. No fitness equipment is required.