You can now use PayPal and Venmo directly within the Amex app
This post contains references to products from one or more of our advertisers. We may receive compensation when you click on links to those products. Terms apply to the offers listed on this page. For an explanation of our Advertising Policy, visit this page.
The holiday season is nearly upon us and while there may be fewer gatherings this year, that doesn’t mean we’re not spending money on gifts.
To make it easier to split the purchase of a gift, restaurant bill or literally anything else you may be buying, American Express is launching “Amex Send & Split” with both PayPal and Venmo. U.S. cardmembers will now also be able to send money to friends and family via PayPal or Venmo — without incurring a fee.
Want more credit card news and advice from TPG? Sign up for our daily newsletter!
That flexibility and option to send and receive money are appreciated, especially since it’s integrated directly into the existing Amex mobile app.
A cardholder must first enroll in Send & Split, which will enable you to add funds to your account using an American Express card. Then, you’ll be able to send money to any other PayPal or Venmo customer.
What’s unique about the split feature is that you can open up the Amex app and request any pending or posted purchase to split. You can split this evenly or adjust the individual portions. U.S. cardholders can track who hasn’t settled up and you even have the option to get reimbursed in the form of a statement credit directly to your Amex card.
Of course, you’ll still earn all the rewards for making the purchase.
American Express cardmembers can now use Venmo and PayPal to send money and split purchases directly within the Amex app. With peer-to-peer payments exploding — and mobile payments the sanitary option during the pandemic — this is solid news for cardholders.
Featured photo courtesy of American Express.
Welcome to The Points Guy!
With some great bonus categories, the American Express Gold Card has a lot going for it. The card offers 4x points at restaurants worldwide, at U.S. supermarkets (up to $25,000 per calendar year; then 1x), and 3x points on flights booked directly with airlines or through amextravel.com.
- Rose Gold is back. You can now choose between Gold or Rose Gold.
- Earn 60,000 Membership Rewards® points after you spend $4,000 on eligible purchases with your new Card within the first 6 months.
- Earn 4X Membership Rewards® Points on Restaurants worldwide, including takeout and delivery, plus, earn 4X points for Uber Eats purchases too.
- Earn 4X Membership Rewards® points at U.S. supermarkets (on up to $25,000 per calendar year in purchases, then 1X).
- $120 Uber Cash: Add your Gold Card to your Uber account and each month automatically get $10 in Uber Cash for Uber Eats orders or Uber rides in the U.S., totaling up to $120 per year.
- $120 Dining Credit: Earn up to a total of $10 in statement credits monthly when you pay with the Gold Card at Grubhub, Seamless, The Cheesecake Factory, Ruth's Chris Steak House, Boxed, and participating Shake Shack locations. This can be an annual savings of up to $120. Enrollment required.
- Earn 3X Membership Rewards® points on flights booked directly with airlines or on amextravel.com.
- No Foreign Transaction Fees.
- Annual Fee is $250.
- Terms Apply.
- See Rates & Fees