This post contains references to products from one or more of our advertisers. We may receive compensation when you click on links to those products. For an explanation of our Advertising Policy, visit this page.
From lounge access, to points, travel perks, Amex Offers and more, there are many very good reasons to have multiple American Express cards. You can organize those cards in your wallet at home however you’d like, but until recently, you couldn’t change how the cards were organized in your virtual wallet when you log in to your American Express account online.
The first card you saw was the one American Express decided you needed to see. In my case, that was an authorized user American Express Mercedes Benz Platinum Card, which is a great card for lounge access and travel perks, but certainly not my everyday use card.
This meant sorting past that account every time I logged in, just to get to the Amex accounts I use and check more frequently. But now, Amex allows you to star the account you want to view first when you access your online account. In my case that is currently the Amex EveryDay Preferred, but for you it might be the American Express® Gold Card in order to earn 4 points per dollar at US restaurants and supermarkets (up to 25,000 per calendar year; then 1x) or The Blue Business℠ Plus Credit Card from American Express to earn 2 points per dollar on the first $50,000 in charges per year (then 1x).
Starring the Amex credit or charge card of your choice sets it as your “default card.” This may not change your life, but if you have an Amex card you use and check more frequently than others, it will save you a little bit of time when you log in.
H/T: Doctor of Credit
The American Express Platinum card has some of the best perks out there: cardholders enjoy the best domestic lounge access (Delta SkyClubs, Centurion Lounges, and Priority Pass), a $200 annual airline fee credit as well as up to $200 in Uber credits, and mid-tier elite status at SPG, Marriott, and Hilton. Combined with the 60,000 point welcome offer -- worth $1,140 based on TPG's valuations -- this card is a no-brainer for frequent travelers. Here are 5 reasons you should consider this card, as well as how you can figure out if the $550 annual fee makes sense for you.
- Earn 60,000 Membership Rewards® points after you use your new Card to make $5,000 in purchases in your first 3 months.
- Enjoy Uber VIP status and free rides in the U.S. up to $15 each month, plus a bonus $20 in December. That can be up to $200 in annual Uber savings.
- 5X Membership Rewards® points on flights booked directly with airlines or with American Express Travel.
- 5X Membership Rewards points on prepaid hotels booked on amextravel.com.
- Enjoy access to the Global Lounge Collection, the only credit card airport lounge access program that includes proprietary lounge locations around the world.
- Receive complimentary benefits with an average total value of $550 with Fine Hotels & Resorts. Learn More.
- $200 Airline Fee Credit, up to $200 per calendar year in baggage fees and more at one qualifying airline.
- Get up to $100 in statement credits annually for purchases at Saks Fifth Avenue on your Platinum Card®. Enrollment required.
- $550 annual fee.
- Terms Apply.
- See Rates & Fees