American Express to Discontinue Mercedes-Benz Platinum Card
This post contains references to products from one or more of our advertisers. We may receive compensation when you click on links to those products. Terms apply to the offers listed on this page. For an explanation of our Advertising Policy, visit this page.
Update: Some offers mentioned below are no longer available. View the current offers here.
American Express will be discontinuing one of its premium charge card products next year. In January 2019, the Platinum Card from American Express Exclusively for Mercedes-Benz will no longer be available.
The Mercedes-Benz Platinum card is similar to the standard version of the The Platinum Card® from American Express. It offers the same benefits as the personal Platinum like the $200 airline fee credit, $200 in Uber credits, SPG Gold status, lounge access and more — but also adds the following benefits for Mercedes-Benz purchases:
- A $1,000 certificate each year you charge $5,000 in purchases on the card, good toward the future purchase or lease of a new Mercedes-Benz.
- Up to 2,000 excess miles waived at lease-end on leases through Mercedes-Benz Financial Services.
- $100 certificate at renewal of your Card account, good toward Genuine Mercedes-Benz Accessories.
- 5x points on select Mercedes-Benz purchases
When you reach the application page for the Mercedes-Benz Platinum card you’ll see the following message:
Please note that the American Express and Mercedes Benz Card program will end in January 2019. Applicants can continue to apply for the Platinum Card from American Express exclusively for Mercedes-Benz, but, if approved, the Card will be replaced with a different American Express Card at the time when the Card program ends.
The Mercedes-Benz Platinum Card is currently offering a 60,000-point sign-up bonus after spending $5,000 in the first three months of cardmembership. Past history indicates you can still get the bonus on the Mercedes-Benz version of the Platinum even if you’ve already gotten bonuses for other versions of the Platinum card.
The Mercedes-Benz Credit Card from Amex, a non-premium card, will also be discontinued in January 2019. It’s currently offering a 10,000-point sign-up bonus after spending 1,000 in the first three months of cardmembership.
Fortunately you still have nearly a year to apply for the either of the cards before they’re gone. It’s unclear what card you’ll be converted to once Amex shuts down these products, but the Mercedes-Benz Platinum would likely become the standard personal Platinum Card® from American Express.
We’ve reached out to American Express for comment but they didn’t respond by publishing time of this story.
H/T: Frequent Miler
Welcome to The Points Guy!
WELCOME OFFER: 75,000 Points Terms Apply.
TPG'S BONUS VALUATION*: $1,500
CARD HIGHLIGHTS: Delta Sky Club and Centurion lounge access, up to $200 annual airline fee credit and up to $200 in Uber savings annually (only for use in the U.S.) (Enrollment required for select benefits)
*Bonus value is an estimated value calculated by TPG and not the card issuer. View our latest valuations here.
- Earn 75,000 Membership Rewards® Points after you spend $5,000 on purchases on your new Card in your first 6 months of Card Membership.
- Earn 10x points on eligible purchases on your new Card at U.S. Gas Stations and U.S. Supermarkets, on up to $15,000 in combined purchases, during your first 6 months of Card Membership. That’s an additional 9 points on top of the 1 point you earn for these purchases.
- Enjoy Uber VIP status and up to $200 in Uber savings on rides or eats orders in the US annually. Uber Cash and Uber VIP status is available to Basic Card Member and Additional Centurion Cards only.
- Earn 5X Membership Rewards® Points for flights booked directly with airlines or with American Express Travel. Starting January 1, 2021, earn 5X points on up to $500,000 on these purchases per calendar year.
- 5X Membership Rewards® Points on prepaid hotels booked with American Express Travel.
- Enjoy complimentary access to the Global Lounge Collection, the only credit card airport lounge access program that includes proprietary lounge locations around the world.
- Receive complimentary benefits through American Express Travel with an average total value of $550 with Fine Hotels & Resorts® program at over 1,100 properties. Learn More.
- Get up to $100 in statement credits annually for purchases at Saks Fifth Avenue on your Platinum Card®. That’s up to $50 in statement credits semi-annually. Enrollment required.
- $550 annual fee.
- Terms Apply.
- See Rates & Fees