Amex adds new payment options to Green, Gold and Platinum cards
This post contains references to products from one or more of our advertisers. We may receive compensation when you click on links to those products. Terms apply to the offers listed on this page. For an explanation of our Advertising Policy, visit this page.
While most travel rewards cards fall into the “credit card” category — in that customers are issued a fixed line of credit and can carry a balance from month to month — there are a few exceptions. American Express issues a handful of popular cards, such as its flagship product, The Platinum Card® from American Express, the mid-tier American Express® Gold Card and the entry-level American Express® Green Card.
Traditionally, these cards couldn’t be used to carry a balance — you had to pay it off in full by the due date — but the issuer recently relaxed its policies for both the American Express® Gold Card and American Express® Green Card, giving customers access to a new program, called Amex Pay Over Time. When enrolled in the program, cardmembers can choose to carry a balance from one month to the next, with variable interest rates applied. Now, this extended payment option has been extended to The Platinum Card® from American Express, as well.
Additionally, Amex is rolling out its existing “Pay It Plan It” program to all three cards. The first option, Pay It®, lets you pay off small purchase amounts under $100 before your statement closes, making it easy to keep your balance down. This option is only available in the American Express App. For the Plan It® option, enrollment is not required and allows cardmembers to pay for qualifying purchases over $100 in monthly installments for a fixed monthly fee. This option is available on both the Amex website and mobile app. You won’t be responsible for interest charges for those transactions, although Amex does add a variable fee, depending on the length of your payment plan.
Hoping to learn more about Amex’s extended payment options? Be sure to check out our detailed guide to Pay Over Time and Pay It Plan It right here.
Featured photo by The Points Guy.
Welcome to The Points Guy!
WELCOME OFFER: 80,000 Points
TPG'S BONUS VALUATION*: $1,600
CARD HIGHLIGHTS: 2X points on all travel and dining, points transferrable to over a dozen travel partners
*Bonus value is an estimated value calculated by TPG and not the card issuer. View our latest valuations here.
- Earn 80,000 bonus points after you spend $4,000 on purchases in the first 3 months from account opening. That's $1,000 toward travel when you redeem through Chase Ultimate Rewards®.
- 2X points on travel and dining at restaurants worldwide, eligible delivery services, takeout and dining out & 1 point per dollar spent on all other purchases.
- Get 25% more value when you redeem for airfare, hotels, car rentals and cruises through Chase Ultimate Rewards. For example, 80,000 points are worth $1,000 toward travel.
- Get unlimited deliveries with a $0 delivery fee and reduced service fees on orders over $12 for a minimum of one year on qualifying food purchases with DashPass, DoorDash's subscription service. Activate by 12/31/21.
- Earn 5X points on Lyft rides through March 2022. That’s 3X points in addition to the 2X points you already earn on travel.