Amex adds new payment options to Green, Gold and Platinum cards
This post contains references to products from one or more of our advertisers. We may receive compensation when you click on links to those products. Terms apply to the offers listed on this page. For an explanation of our Advertising Policy, visit this page.
While most travel rewards cards fall into the “credit card” category — in that customers are issued a fixed line of credit and can carry a balance from month to month — there are a few exceptions. American Express issues a handful of popular cards, such as its flagship product, The Platinum Card® from American Express, the mid-tier American Express® Gold Card and the entry-level American Express® Green Card.
The information for the Amex Green Card has been collected independently by The Points Guy. The card details on this page have not been reviewed or provided by the card issuer.
Traditionally, these cards couldn’t be used to carry a balance — you had to pay it off in full by the due date — but the issuer recently relaxed its policies for both the American Express® Gold Card and American Express® Green Card, giving customers access to a new program, called Amex Pay Over Time. When enrolled in the program, cardmembers can choose to carry a balance from one month to the next, with variable interest rates applied. Now, this extended payment option has been extended to The Platinum Card® from American Express, as well.
Additionally, Amex is rolling out its existing “Pay It Plan It” program to all three cards. The first option, Pay It®, lets you pay off small purchase amounts under $100 before your statement closes, making it easy to keep your balance down. This option is only available in the American Express App. For the Plan It® option, enrollment is not required and allows cardmembers to pay for qualifying purchases over $100 in monthly installments for a fixed monthly fee. This option is available on both the Amex website and mobile app. You won’t be responsible for interest charges for those transactions, although Amex does add a variable fee, depending on the length of your payment plan.
Hoping to learn more about Amex’s extended payment options? Be sure to check out our detailed guide to Pay Over Time and Pay It Plan It right here.
Featured photo by The Points Guy.
Welcome to The Points Guy!
Earn 90,000 bonus miles and 10,000 Medallion® Qualification Miles (MQMs) after you spend $3,000 in purchases on your new card in the first three months of card membership. Offer ends 11/10/2021.
With Status Boost™, earn 10,000 Medallion Qualification Miles (MQMs) after you spend $25,000 in purchases on your Card in a calendar year, up to two times per year getting you closer to Medallion Status. Earn 3X Miles on Delta purchases and purchases made directly with hotels, 2X Miles at restaurants and at U.S. supermarkets and earn 1X Mile on all other eligible purchases. Terms Apply.
- Limited Time Offer: Earn 90,000 Bonus Miles and 10,000 Medallion® Qualification Miles (MQMs) after you spend $3,000 in purchases on your new Card in your first 3 months. Offer expires 11/10/2021.
- Earn up to 20,000 Medallion® Qualification Miles (MQMs) with Status Boost® per year. After you spend $25,000 in purchases on your Card in a calendar year, you can earn 10,000 MQMs two times per year, getting you closer to Medallion® Status. MQMs are used to determine Medallion® Status and are different than miles you earn toward flights.
- Earn 3X Miles on Delta purchases and purchases made directly with hotels.
- Earn 2X Miles at restaurants worldwide, including takeout and delivery and at U.S. supermarkets.
- Earn 1X Miles on all other eligible purchases.
- Receive a Domestic Main Cabin round-trip companion certificate each year upon renewal of your Card. *Payment of the government imposed taxes and fees of no more than $75 for roundtrip domestic flights (for itineraries with up to four flight segments) is required. Baggage charges and other restrictions apply. See terms and conditions for details.
- Enjoy your first checked bag free on Delta flights.
- Fee Credit for Global Entry or TSA Pre✓®.
- Enjoy an exclusive rate of $39 per person per visit to enter the Delta Sky Club® for you and up to two guests when traveling on a Delta flight.
- No Foreign Transaction Fees.
- $250 Annual Fee.
- Terms Apply.
- See Rates & Fees