These credit card offers can save you money or earn bonus points at electronics stores
This post contains references to products from one or more of our advertisers. We may receive compensation when you click on links to those products. Terms apply to the offers listed on this page. For an explanation of our Advertising Policy, visit this page.
Editor’s note: This is a recurring post, regularly updated with new offers.
If you’re in the market for new tech this season, you’re in luck. Many American Express cardholders are currently being targeted for deep discounts at major electronic retailers through the Amex Offers program, including Best Buy, Dell and Amazon.
For more TPG news delivered each morning to your inbox, sign up for our daily newsletter.
Amex Offers on electronics
Best Buy, Dell and Amazon are currently each offering multiple types of Amex Offers.
Right now, there’s an offer on several types of Membership Rewards-earning Amex cards to earn one additional point per dollar spent at Best Buy. That’s equivalent to an extra 2% back based on TPG valuations. The offer on my American Express® Gold Card is valid through Oct. 31, 2020, but others have reported receiving the same offer valid through Dec. 31.
If you have a co-branded Amex card such as the Delta SkyMiles® Gold American Express or Marriott Bonvoy Brilliant™ American Express® Card, you might see an offer to earn a statement credit after meeting a certain spending requirement. If that’s the case, keep in mind that statement credit offers and Membership Rewards point offers are actually not considered the same. So if you happen to have both types of Best Buy offers appear, you should be able to add them both to your account despite American Express’s one offer per account rule.
For those who don’t have an item to purchase at Best Buy in the near future, you can still maximize these promotions. You can simply purchase a Best Buy gift card and then use it at a future date. This then allows you to reap the savings well after the holidays. Additionally, Best Buy sells merchant gift cards from various restaurant chains and gas stations, among many others. You might even be lucky enough to snag a Southwest or Disney gift card — even though these aren’t electronics or Best Buy-specific items, they should still trigger the bonus points or statement credit.
We’re also currently seeing a similar offer which allows you to earn 1x additional point for every dollar spent on Dell purchases. This offer appears to be fairly widely available on Membership Rewards-earning cards, including The Platinum Card® from American Express, and is valid through the end of the year.
But if you have the Amex Platinum, you’ll want to make sure you also register for your up to $100 Dell statement credit, valid through Jan. 31, 2021. On top of that, this credit can be stacked with the existing credit offered by The Business Platinum Card® from American Express.
Perhaps the most rewarding Amex Offer currently available is for 5x additional Membership Rewards points per dollar spent on Amazon purchases. Similar to Best Buy, Amazon also sells dozens of third-party retailer gift cards, and they appear to be eligible for bonus points. This offer is available through Nov. 13, 2020.
Although less common, some cardholders have also reported receiving offers for $10 statement credits after spending $50 or $100 at Amazon. These offers expire on Nov. 8, 2020.
As with any Amex Offer, always read the terms and restrictions to ensure your purchase will apply, such as in-store purchases vs. online purchases. Also, you’ll only be able to add the offer to one card per Amex online account, so you’ll want to check all of your cards to select the one that offers the best return on the purchase. Unfortunately, Amex Offers are also targeted, so you may not see these offers at all. But if you do, I’d encourage you to add them right away, since these tend to have limited enrollment and may disappear before the expiration date.
Related: Your ultimate guide to Amex Offers
In addition, unless the terms of the offers indicate otherwise, you should be able to stack these with online shopping portals for an even greater return. Rakuten, for example, allows you to earn cash back or additional Amex points for shopping at hundreds of merchants.
If you don’t have an American Express card and don’t want to miss out on future offers like this, consider adding one of the following cards that are offering higher-than-usual welcome offers:
- The Business Platinum Card® from American Express: Earn 75,000 Membership Rewards® points after you spend $15,000 within the first 3 months of card membership. Even better, select applicants may be targeted for an incredible 125,000-point offer by checking the CardMatch Tool (offers are subject to change at any time).
- American Express® Gold Card: Earn 60,000 Membership Rewards® points after you spend $4,000 on eligible purchases with your new card within the first six months, although you should be sure to check the CardMatch Tool to see if you’re targeted for an 75k-point bonus offer (subject to change at any time). Terms apply.
- Hilton Honors American Express Surpass® Card: Exclusively through TPG, earn 130,000 points after you spend $2,000 in the first three months of card membership. Plus, earn a one-time $100 statement credit after using your new card to purchase an Expert Flyer Premium annual subscription ($99.99 plus applicable taxes, followed by automatic renewal) within your first year. ExpertFlyer is owned by TPG’s parent company, Red Ventures.
And if none of these Amex cards match your needs, check out our guide on how to choose the best American Express Card for you.
For rates and fees of the Platinum Card, please click here.
Additional reporting by Victoria M. Walker and Jennifer Yellin.
Screenshots courtesy of American Express.
Featured photo by Spencer Platt/Getty Images.
Welcome to The Points Guy!
WELCOME OFFER: 60,000 Points
TPG'S BONUS VALUATION*: $1,200
CARD HIGHLIGHTS: 2X points on all travel and dining, points transferrable to over a dozen travel partners
*Bonus value is an estimated value calculated by TPG and not the card issuer. View our latest valuations here.
- Earn 60,000 bonus points after you spend $4,000 on purchases in the first 3 months from account opening. That's $750 toward travel when you redeem through Chase Ultimate Rewards®
- 2X points on travel and dining at restaurants worldwide, eligible delivery services, takeout and dining out & 1 point per dollar spent on all other purchases.
- Get 25% more value when you redeem for travel through Chase Ultimate Rewards®. For example, 60,000 points are worth $750 toward travel.
- With Pay Yourself Back℠, your points are worth 25% more during the current offer when you redeem them for statement credits against existing purchases in select, rotating categories.
- Get unlimited deliveries with a $0 delivery fee and reduced service fees on orders over $12 for a minimum of one year on qualifying food purchases with DashPass, DoorDash's subscription service. Activate by 12/31/21.
- Earn 2x total points on up to $1,000 in grocery store purchases per month from November 1, 2020 to April 30, 2021. Includes eligible pick-up and delivery services.