The Amex Gold Card Will Now Earn 4x Points at Restaurants Worldwide
This post contains references to products from one or more of our advertisers. We may receive compensation when you click on links to those products. Terms apply to the offers listed on this page. For an explanation of our Advertising Policy, visit this page.
The American Express® Gold Card is one of our top picks for maximizing dining purchases, but since the 4x earnings on dining have been limited to US restaurants, it’s been less attractive than other options for your trips abroad. That’s why this news is huge: Card members will now receive 4 points per dollar spent on dining worldwide.
We learned of this change thanks to a TPG reader who shared this screenshot from their card statement:
According to the screenshot provided by the reader, the Amex Gold now earns 4x points on international dining purchases as of June 6. Also note that the 4x earning rate on the first $25,000 spent at supermarkets each year is still limited to supermarkets in the US.
Based on TPG’s valuations, 4x Amex points on dining equals an 8% return on spending. That’s second only to the Citi Prestige Card‘s 5x/8.5% return on dining worldwide. Before this change on the Amex Gold, the Citi Prestige and the Chase Sapphire Reserve (with 3x on dining; a 6% return) were our two top picks for dining purchases abroad, but this update nudges the CSR out of its second-place spot.
This is the Amex Gold Card’s second refresh since October 2018, when American Express announced a limited-time rose gold card, 4 points per dollar spent at US restaurants and supermarkets and up to $120 in annual dining credits when paying with the Gold Card at participating dining partners including Grubhub, Seamless, The Cheesecake Factory, Ruth’s Chris Steak House and participating Shake Shack locations. There’s also a $100 annual airline fee credit and baggage insurance.
Dining is a top spending category for many card holders, both at home and abroad, so we’re very glad that Amex has extended the 4x earning rate to international dining purchases. This change makes it easy to justify clearing a coveted spot in your travel wallet for the Amex Gold.
- Earn up to 70,000 bonus miles. Earn 60,000 bonus miles after you spend $2,000 in purchases on your new Card in your first 3 months. Plus, earn an additional 10,000 bonus miles after your first anniversary of Card Membership. Offer Expires 4/1/2020.
- Enjoy your first checked bag free and Main Cabin 1 Priority Boarding on Delta flights.
- New! Get ready for your next trip - spend $10,000 in purchases on your card in a calendar year and receive a $100 Delta Flight Credit to get you there sooner.
- Earn 2X Miles on Delta purchases, at restaurants worldwide and at U.S. supermarkets.
- Earn 1X Mile on all other eligible purchases.
- Receive a 20% savings in the form of a statement credit after you use your Card on eligible Delta in-flight purchases of food, beverages, and audio headsets.
- Enjoy a $0 introductory annual fee for the first year, then $99.
- Terms Apply.
- See Rates & Fees