Amex Fine Hotels & Resorts Stays Are Now Bookable With Points
This post contains references to products from one or more of our advertisers. We may receive compensation when you click on links to those products. Terms apply to the offers listed on this page. For an explanation of our Advertising Policy, visit this page.
One of the many benefits available to American Express card members with a Platinum or Centurion-branded card, including the Platinum Card® from American Express and the Business Platinum Card® from American Express, is access to the American Express Fine Hotels & Resorts program (also known as Amex FHR). This program provides elite-like benefits like daily breakfast for two, guaranteed 4pm late checkout and a unique property amenity valued at around $100 at select properties worldwide.
The American Express Fine Hotels & Resorts program made a splash last fall when it was announced that card members could earn 5x points on prepaid Fine Hotels & Resorts bookings. We subsequently found that many, but not all, hotel loyalty programs would still provide elite benefits and earnings on these stays. Now, Amex has began sending emails to card holders stating that they can use Membership Rewards Pay With Points to cover all or part of a Fine Hotels & Resorts stay.
The Pay With Points option will only appear when you are logged in as a primary card member. As an authorized user on my husband’s Platinum Card, I didn’t see the Pay With Points option until I logged in as him. Once you log in, you’ll see that the Pay With Points option only values Membership Rewards points at 1 cent each.
Redeeming your Membership Rewards points for 1 cent each generally isn’t a high-value redemption, especially considering you’ll be giving up the chance to earn 5x points on your stay. After all, TPG’s latest valuations value Membership Rewards points at 2 cents each. But, if you have ample Membership Rewards points or don’t want to worry about transferring your points to any of the Membership Rewards transfer partners, this is another option for getting value from your points. And given that you’ll be enjoying free breakfast, late checkout and an on-property credit with an Amex FHR stay, you could argue that you are getting more than 1 cent per point at the end of the day.
Featured photo of the Park Hyatt Beijing by the author.
Welcome to The Points Guy!
Earn 50,000 bonus miles and 5,000 Medallion® Qualification Miles (MQMs) after you spend $2,000 in purchases on your new card in your first three months of card membership. Plus, earn up to $100 back in statement credits for eligible purchases at U.S. restaurants with your card within the first 3 months of membership.
With Status Boost™, earn 10,000 Medallion Qualification Miles (MQMs) after you spend $25,000 in purchases on your Card in a calendar year, up to two times per year getting you closer to Medallion Status. Earn 3X Miles on Delta purchases and purchases made directly with hotels, 2X Miles at restaurants and at U.S. supermarkets and earn 1X Mile on all other eligible purchases. Terms Apply.
- Earn 50,000 bonus miles and 5,000 Medallion® Qualification Miles (MQMs) after you spend $2,000 in purchases on your new Card in your first 3 months.
- Plus, earn up to $100 back in statement credits for eligible purchases at US restaurants with your card within the first 3 months of membership.
- Accelerate your path to Medallion Status, with Status Boost®. Plus, in 2021 you can earn even more bonus Medallion® Qualification Miles (MQMs) to help you reach Medallion Status.
- Earn 3X Miles on Delta purchases and purchases made directly with hotels.
- Earn 2X Miles at restaurants worldwide, including takeout and delivery and at U.S. supermarkets.
- Earn 1X Miles on all other eligible purchases.
- Receive a Domestic Main Cabin round-trip companion certificate each year upon renewal of your Card. *Payment of the government imposed taxes and fees of no more than $75 for roundtrip domestic flights (for itineraries with up to four flight segments) is required. Baggage charges and other restrictions apply. See terms and conditions for details.
- Enjoy your first checked bag free on Delta flights.
- Fee Credit for Global Entry or TSA Pre✓®.
- Enjoy an exclusive rate of $39 per person per visit to enter the Delta Sky Club® for you and up to two guests when traveling on a Delta flight.
- No Foreign Transaction Fees.
- $250 Annual Fee.
- Terms Apply.
- See Rates & Fees