Amex Fine Hotels & Resorts Stays Are Now Bookable With Points
This post contains references to products from one or more of our advertisers. We may receive compensation when you click on links to those products. Terms apply to the offers listed on this page. For an explanation of our Advertising Policy, visit this page.
Update: Some offers mentioned below are no longer available. View the current offers here.
One of the many benefits available to American Express card members with a Platinum or Centurion-branded card, including the Platinum Card® from American Express and the Business Platinum Card® from American Express, is access to the American Express Fine Hotels & Resorts program (also known as Amex FHR). This program provides elite-like benefits like daily breakfast for two, guaranteed 4pm late checkout and a unique property amenity valued at around $100 at select properties worldwide.
The American Express Fine Hotels & Resorts program made a splash last fall when it was announced that card members could earn 5x points on prepaid Fine Hotels & Resorts bookings. We subsequently found that many, but not all, hotel loyalty programs would still provide elite benefits and earnings on these stays. Now, Amex has began sending emails to card holders stating that they can use Membership Rewards Pay With Points to cover all or part of a Fine Hotels & Resorts stay.
The Pay With Points option will only appear when you are logged in as a primary card member. As an authorized user on my husband’s Platinum Card, I didn’t see the Pay With Points option until I logged in as him. Once you log in, you’ll see that the Pay With Points option only values Membership Rewards points at 1 cent each.
Redeeming your Membership Rewards points for 1 cent each generally isn’t a high-value redemption, especially considering you’ll be giving up the chance to earn 5x points on your stay. After all, TPG’s latest valuations value Membership Rewards points at 2 cents each. But, if you have ample Membership Rewards points or don’t want to worry about transferring your points to any of the Membership Rewards transfer partners, this is another option for getting value from your points. And given that you’ll be enjoying free breakfast, late checkout and an on-property credit with an Amex FHR stay, you could argue that you are getting more than 1 cent per point at the end of the day.
Featured photo of the Park Hyatt Beijing by the author.
Welcome to The Points Guy!
WELCOME OFFER: 80,000 Points
TPG'S BONUS VALUATION*: $1,600
CARD HIGHLIGHTS: 3X points on dining and 2x points on travel, points transferrable to over a dozen travel partners
*Bonus value is an estimated value calculated by TPG and not the card issuer. View our latest valuations here.
- Earn 80,000 bonus points after you spend $4,000 on purchases in the first 3 months from account opening. That's $1,000 when you redeem through Chase Ultimate Rewards®.
- Enjoy benefits such as a $50 annual Ultimate Rewards Hotel Credit, 5x on travel purchased through Chase Ultimate Rewards®, 3x on dining and 2x on all other travel purchases, plus more.
- Get 25% more value when you redeem for airfare, hotels, car rentals and cruises through Chase Ultimate Rewards®. For example, 80,000 points are worth $1,000 toward travel.
- With Pay Yourself Back℠, your points are worth 25% more during the current offer when you redeem them for statement credits against existing purchases in select, rotating categories
- Count on Trip Cancellation/Interruption Insurance, Auto Rental Collision Damage Waiver, Lost Luggage Insurance and more.