How American Express Fine Hotels & Resorts can land you elite-like benefits at top hotels
This post contains references to products from one or more of our advertisers. We may receive compensation when you click on links to those products. Terms apply to the offers listed on this page. For an explanation of our Advertising Policy, visit this page.
Last summer, I had an opportunity to experience something extraordinary — the Four Seasons Resort Scottsdale at Troon North, a few miles outside of Phoenix. There was only one catch: midday temperatures easily exceeded 110 degrees, making some quality pool time an absolute must.
Those peak-summer temperatures also made for significantly reduced demand and the far more affordable hotel rates that often follow. So, while the Four Seasons might be out of reach during peak season — fall and winter rates can easily approach $500 — I managed to score a base rate of $230 per night.
Better yet, I used The Platinum Card® from American Express to book my stay through Amex Fine Hotels & Resorts program. Although Amex’s rates can sometimes be higher than what you’ll find when booking directly, the perks can far outweigh any price difference. In this case, though, the rates were identical. So, booking through Amex Fine Hotels & Resorts was the obvious choice.
Get the latest points, miles and travel news by signing up for TPG’s free daily newsletter.
Benefits of booking through Amex Fine Hotels & Resorts
Since my 2017 stay at Amanjena in Marrakesh, Amex Fine Hotels & Resorts has changed the way I think about hotel stays. Assuming I have enough time to make the most of a hotel and its amenities, it can make a lot of sense to spend more than I otherwise would to make the trip even more memorable, if only for a day.
The Amex Fine Hotels & Resorts program is accessible to cardmembers with a Platinum- or Centurion-branded card, including The Platinum Card® from American Express and The Business Platinum Card® from American Express. If you pay with an Amex card and book directly through the program — either online or over the phone — you’ll be able to take advantage of the following benefits:
- Room upgrade upon arrival, when available
- Daily breakfast for two people
- Guaranteed 4:00 p.m. late checkout
- Noon check-in, when available
- Complimentary Wi-Fi
- $100 experience credit, which varies by property
During my stay last summer at the Four Seasons Scottsdale, I was given a $100 property credit to cover anything from in-room dining to spa treatments (and even a haircut, which Amex treated me to the second day).
Technically, the experience credit is only available once per stay. But when I booked a second night after enjoying my first so much, the $100 credit was applied a second time, too.
I also scored an upgrade from a base “casita” room to a room with a better view of the desert. It was spectacular dining with a sunset backdrop both evenings. And dinner was free thanks to the $100 property credit.
Booking through Amex Fine Hotels & Resorts also got me a continental breakfast each morning at Proof, one of the Four Seasons’ on-site restaurants.
The hotel applied the breakfast amenity as a flat $30 credit. So, I could order whatever I wanted off the menu. I went a hair over with a matcha bowl ($15) and juice trio ($14) after tax and tip, but the hotel removed the full amount from my bill.
From now on, I’m going to make a point of always checking the Amex Fine Hotels & Resorts offerings, given how much value the program added with this stay. And while I’d prefer to stay put at one hotel during each stop, it could make sense to bounce around just to experience something extra special.
Ultimately, you can get a ton of value out of The Platinum Card® from American Express and The Business Platinum Card® from American Express even without the Amex Fine Hotels & Resorts program. After all, top-notch perks like Centurion Lounge access, an up to $200 annual airline fee credit and hotel elite status provide significant value to frequent travelers. But, having access to the Fine Hotels & Resorts program and its elite-like benefits certainly sweetens the deal. Enrollment required for select benefits.
Featured image of the Four Seasons Resort Scottsdale at Troon North by Zach Honig/The Points Guy.
Welcome to The Points Guy!
WELCOME OFFER: 100,000 Points Terms Apply.
TPG'S BONUS VALUATION*: $2,000
CARD HIGHLIGHTS: Delta Sky Club and Centurion lounge access, up to $200 annual airline fee credit and up to $200 in Uber Cash annually (only for use in the U.S.) (Enrollment required for select benefits)
*Bonus value is an estimated value calculated by TPG and not the card issuer. View our latest valuations here.
- Earn 100,000 Membership Rewards® Points after you spend $6,000 on purchases on the Card in your first 6 months of Card Membership.
- Plus, earn 10x points on eligible purchases on the Card at restaurants worldwide and when you Shop Small in the U.S., on up to $25,000 in combined purchases, during your first 6 months of Card Membership.
- Earn 5X Membership Rewards® Points for flights booked directly with airlines or with American Express Travel up to $500,000 on these purchases per calendar year.
- Earn 5X Membership Rewards® Points on prepaid hotels booked with American Express Travel.
- $200 Hotel Credit: Get $200 back in statement credits each year on prepaid Fine Hotels + Resorts® or The Hotel Collection bookings with American Express Travel when you pay with your Platinum Card®.
- $240 Digital Entertainment Credit: Get up to $20 in statement credits each month when you pay for eligible purchases with the Platinum Card® at your choice of one or more of the following providers: Peacock, Audible, SiriusXM, and The New York Times. Enrollment required.
- New! American Express has expanded The Centurion® Network to include 40+ Centurion Lounge and Studio locations worldwide. Now there are even more places your Platinum Card® can get you complimentary entry and exclusive perks.
- $200 Airline Fee Credit: Get up to $200 in statement credits per calendar year in baggage fees and more at one qualifying airline.
- $200 Uber Cash: Enjoy Uber VIP status and up to $200 in Uber savings on rides or eats orders in the US annually. Uber Cash and Uber VIP status available to Basic Card Member only.
- $300 Equinox Credit: Get up to $25 back each month on select Equinox memberships. Enrollment required.
- $179 CLEAR® Credit: Use your Card and get up to $179 back per year on your CLEAR® membership.
- $695 Annual Fee.
- Terms Apply.
- See Rates & Fees