How the world’s most exclusive card is about to look even cooler
This post contains references to products from one or more of our advertisers. We may receive compensation when you click on links to those products. Terms apply to the offers listed on this page. For an explanation of our Advertising Policy, visit this page.
Years ago, I became (uncharacteristically) absorbed in a show called The Real Housewives of Orange Country. During the first episode, one of the rich guys entered an upscale furniture store and waved a black card at the staff. The employees promptly closed the store to the public and followed him from aisle to aisle, grabbing any exorbitant item at which he pointed.
That magical card was the Centurion Card from American Express. It’s the most exclusive product on the market, as it’s by invitation only (with few clues as to the qualifying criteria). The general consensus is that you need to spend $350,000 per year on your card even to be considered.
New to The Points Guy? Want to learn more about credit card points and miles? Sign up for our daily newsletter.
Those invited to the Amex Centurion will pay an initiation fee of $10,000, plus an annual fee of $5,000. So while we all may desire the fame that accompanies this prestigious card, most of us settle for distant lustful gawks.
The information for the Centurion Card has been collected independently by The Points Guy. The card details on this page have not been reviewed or provided by the card issuer.
If you’re one of the few Amex Centurion cardholders, there’s exciting news coming your way. American Express is reinvigorating the look of the card, and they’re giving you multiple options to choose from — including a wearable Prada card.
New looks for the Amex Centurion card
American Express has solicited two accomplished individuals to help them improve the aesthetic of their hyper-exclusive Amex Centurion Card:
- Rem Koolhaas (Pritzker Architecture Prize winner, founder of OMA Design Group)
- Kehinde Wiley (painter of the official Barack Obama portrait)
The designs are fresh and tasteful, and they add a unique dimension to the card. Three options give Amex Centurion cardholders the ability to personalize their card further. However, this is a marked change to what’s known as the “black card.” A jet-black slab of anodized titanium is distinguished and recognizable. These new variants add an element of playfulness to the Amex Centurion Card.
Check out the new designs below to see what I mean.
Rem Koolhaas’ Boompjes project graces the front of a new Centurion Card. Originally commissioned to “redevelop a district in Rotterdam, Netherlands which was decimated by bombings during the second world war” (per HYPEBEAST), the project now extends to the Amex Centurion card.
Kehinde Wiley’s portraits regularly feature floral patterns as a background. The design on the Amex Centurion card is reminiscent of the living walls you’ll encounter at the front desk of Amex Centurion airport lounges.
Last, and by far the most unique is the “Prada Centurion” wrist wear. It’s a unisex scratch-resistant black saffiàno leather strap, which includes a hidden payment chip inside.
American Express has enhanced its nondescript black Amex Centurion card. They’ve commissioned help to refresh the look of their cards and they all look pretty great. The ultra-premium “black card” now boasts yellows, blues, greens and pinks in its new card design while retaining its perks-laden reputation. And you’ll now be able to wear this luxurious card on your wrist.
Let us know what you think of these new designs!
Featured photo by John Gribben for The Points Guy
Welcome to The Points Guy!
Earn 90,000 bonus miles and 10,000 Medallion® Qualification Miles (MQMs) after you spend $3,000 in purchases on your new card in the first three months of card membership. Offer ends 11/10/2021.
With Status Boost™, earn 10,000 Medallion Qualification Miles (MQMs) after you spend $25,000 in purchases on your Card in a calendar year, up to two times per year getting you closer to Medallion Status. Earn 3X Miles on Delta purchases and purchases made directly with hotels, 2X Miles at restaurants and at U.S. supermarkets and earn 1X Mile on all other eligible purchases. Terms Apply.
- Limited Time Offer: Earn 90,000 Bonus Miles and 10,000 Medallion® Qualification Miles (MQMs) after you spend $3,000 in purchases on your new Card in your first 3 months. Offer expires 11/10/2021.
- Earn up to 20,000 Medallion® Qualification Miles (MQMs) with Status Boost® per year. After you spend $25,000 in purchases on your Card in a calendar year, you can earn 10,000 MQMs two times per year, getting you closer to Medallion® Status. MQMs are used to determine Medallion® Status and are different than miles you earn toward flights.
- Earn 3X Miles on Delta purchases and purchases made directly with hotels.
- Earn 2X Miles at restaurants worldwide, including takeout and delivery and at U.S. supermarkets.
- Earn 1X Miles on all other eligible purchases.
- Receive a Domestic Main Cabin round-trip companion certificate each year upon renewal of your Card. *Payment of the government imposed taxes and fees of no more than $75 for roundtrip domestic flights (for itineraries with up to four flight segments) is required. Baggage charges and other restrictions apply. See terms and conditions for details.
- Enjoy your first checked bag free on Delta flights.
- Fee Credit for Global Entry or TSA Pre✓®.
- Enjoy an exclusive rate of $39 per person per visit to enter the Delta Sky Club® for you and up to two guests when traveling on a Delta flight.
- No Foreign Transaction Fees.
- $250 Annual Fee.
- Terms Apply.
- See Rates & Fees