This post contains references to products from one or more of our advertisers. We may receive compensation when you click on links to those products. For an explanation of our Advertising Policy, visit this page.
Update: Some offers mentioned below are no longer available. View the current offers here – The Business Platinum® Card from American Express
There are now just days left until August 8, when the current 100,000-point welcome bonus on The Business Platinum Card from American Express will disappear. We don’t believe we’re going to see 100,000 points on this card again any time soon, so if you’re in any way hesitating to jump on this offer, don’t wait — you may not get another chance for a long while.
Why should you consider the Amex Business Platinum? Well, when it comes to perks, the Business Platinum is hard to beat. At a cost of $450 a year and with benefits like $200 in annual airline credits, Centurion and Delta Sky Club lounge access and a 35% rebate on Pay With Points redemptions (making points worth 1.54 cents each when buying airfare), plus 10 free annual Gogo passes and so much more, it’s a popular card among business travelers. In addition, since it’s a business card, it sits on your business credit line and gives you huge purchasing power.
To get the entire 100,000 Membership Rewards point bonus, your business will have to put a large amount of spending on the card in a short period of time. But based on TPG’s most recent monthly valuations, 100,000 Membership Rewards points are worth $1,900 in travel, which is $475 more than what you’d get with the previous 75,000 point bonus.
The 100,000 point bonus comes in two tiers — here’s how it breaks down:
- Earn 50,000 Membership Rewards points after you spend $10,000 on purchases in the first 3 months of cardmembership
- Earn another 50,000 points after you spend an additional $15,000 on purchases in the first 3 months of cardmembership
So to get the entire 100,000-point welcome bonus, you’ll need to spend a total of $25,000 in 3 months. That’s certainly not an insignificant amount for an individual, though for a small business (remember, this is a business card) it’s entirely feasible to have that or much more in monthly expenses.
But if you can make the spend, this is a perfect time to get one of the best travel cards out there. The Business Platinum Amex comes with all the same popular perks as the personal version of the Amex Platinum, including…
- $200 airline fee credit
- Access to Centurion Lounges
- Access to Delta Sky Clubs (when flying Delta)
- Priority Pass membership with two free guests
- Up to a $100 Global Entry/TSA PreCheck application credit
- Gold elite status in Hilton Honors
- Gold elite status at Starwood hotels, which can be matched until August to Gold status in Marriott Rewards (this benefit will be converted to complimentary Gold status in the new Marriott program starting in August)
- Unlimited Boingo Wi-Fi hotspot access
- Access to the Amex Fine Hotels & Resorts program
- 24-hour access to the American Express Concierge
- 5 points per dollar spent on flights and prepaid hotels (both must be booked through Amex Travel on the Business Platinum)
- No foreign transaction fees
In addition, the business version of the Platinum card comes with a trio of benefits not available on the personal card…
- 10 free Gogo inflight Wi-Fi passes
- 1.5x points on purchases of $5,000 or more (up to 1 million additional points per year)
- 35% rebate when you Pay With Points for a first or business class ticket on any airline, or an economy ticket on one airline of your choice (up to 500,000 points per year, or even more with greater annual spend)
The Business Platinum also has one other advantage over the personal Platinum — a lower annual fee. You’ll pay $450 a year for this card, as opposed to $550 for the personal version. Also, keep in mind that if you maximize the annual $200 airline fee credit, you’ll effectively pay a net of only $250 a year for the card.
For that price, this is the card you want to have with you if you travel with any regularity. At practically any airport in the world, this is the card that will get you into a lounge. At Hilton, Starwood and Marriott hotels, this is the card that will get you elite status. And in the air, this is the card that will get you onto the internet. There is, quite frankly, no other credit card on the market with as many travel benefits as this one.
Again, this limited-time offer is only available until August 8, 2018, and after that, we don’t expect to see it again for a long time. So don’t wait too long to act. Add 100,000 travel points to your stash, then use the flexibility of Membership Rewards points to send your employees or yourself on a great trip in style, with the benefits of your Amex Business Platinum to go along with you.