New Amex Business Platinum welcome offer: 85,000 points plus 5x earning in 5 categories
This post contains references to products from one or more of our advertisers. We may receive compensation when you click on links to those products. Terms apply to the offers listed on this page. For an explanation of our Advertising Policy, visit this page.
Editor’s note: This is a recurring post, regularly updated with new information.
With unparalleled travel perks and premium benefits, The Business Platinum Card® from American Express is one of the best business cards on the market. In particular, the Amex Business Platinum’s benefits make the card an excellent fit for business owners who travel frequently and charge thousands of dollars of monthly business expenses to their cards.
If you’ve been considering whether to add the Amex Business Platinum to your wallet, now is a great time thanks to the new welcome bonus. Today I’ll consider this new welcome bonus as well as what you should know about the Amex Business Platinum before applying for the card.
Get the latest points, miles and travel news by signing up for TPG’s free daily newsletter.
The Amex Business Platinum welcome offer
The Amex Business Platinum Card currently offers a two-part welcome bonus:
- Earn 85,000 Membership Rewards points after you spend $15,000 on eligible purchases with your card in the first three months
- Earn 5x Membership Rewards points on shipping, wireless telephone services, advertising in select media, office supplies and gas stations when you use your card on eligible U.S. purchases in these categories during the first three months (up to 80,000 bonus points per category)
To get the 85,000-point bonus, your business will have to put a large amount of spending on the card in a short period. However, the $15,000 in spending required to earn this bonus is less than the $20,000 in spending that we’ve seen on previous Amex Business Platinum bonuses. So, if your business can spend $15,000 in three months but would struggle to spend $20,000 in the same period, this welcome bonus may be particularly appealing.
Likewise, you may want to consider applying now even if your business won’t hit the minimum spending requirement of $15,000 in your first three months. After all, you can still get a lot of value from the 5x earning in select business categories during your first three months.
Finally, you should consider signing up now if you incur significant expenses in any of the welcome bonus’ 5x categories. For example, if you spend $16,000 on eligible U.S. shipping purchases across your first three months, you’d earn the 85,000-point bonus as well as 80,000 bonus points due to 5x earning. And, there’s the potential to earn a total welcome bonus of up to 485,000 Membership Rewards points if you spent $16,000 in each of the 5x bonus categories during your first three months.
But, let’s assume you earn 165,000 Membership Rewards points through the two-tier welcome bonus. Based on TPG’s most recent valuations, 165,000 Membership Rewards points are worth $3,300 in travel. However, you may be able to get even more value by using points for premium award redemptions once travel fully restarts.
Can I get an Amex Business Platinum card if I already have the personal version?
The great thing about this two-tiered welcome bonus is that the personal and business versions of the Amex Platinum are considered different products. So if you already got the welcome bonus on The Platinum Card® from American Express, Amex’s one-bonus-per-card-per-lifetime rule won’t restrict you from getting this bonus as well.
Likewise, you may be eligible to earn a welcome bonus on the Amex Business Platinum even if you already have the American Express® Business Gold Card.
Amex Business Platinum benefits
The welcome bonus is only one part of the Amex Business Platinum‘s appeal. After all, the Business Platinum also offers access to many great perks, including:
- Up to $200 airline fee credit each year
- Access to Centurion Lounges, Delta Sky Clubs (when flying Delta), Priority Pass lounges and other lounges in the American Express Global Lounge Collection
- Global Entry application credit every four years or TSA PreCheck application credit every 4.5 years (up to $100)
- Gold elite status with Hilton Honors and Marriott Bonvoy
- Up to $200 in annual statement credits for Dell technology U.S. purchases, split into a $100 credit for January through June and another $100 credit for July through December
- Access to the Fine Hotels & Resorts program, The Hotel Collection, the Cruise Privileges Program and the International Airline Program
- Upgrade with Points to request an airline ticket upgrade on select airlines
- 5 points per dollar spent on flights and prepaid hotels booked through Amex Travel
- 1.5x points on purchases of $5,000 or more (up to 1 million additional points per year)
- A 35% rebate when you Pay With Points for a first or business class ticket on any airline or an economy ticket on one airline of your choice (up to 500,000 points per year)
- Terms apply
The Business Platinum Card from American Express has a $595 annual fee (see rates and fees). But if you maximize the annual $200 airline fee credit and $200 Dell credit, you’ll effectively pay a net cost of only $195 a year for the card. And once you factor in the Global Entry/TSA Precheck credit, lounge access and other perks, the Amex Business Platinum can easily be worth it.
At practically any airport in the world, this is the card that will get you into a lounge. At Hilton and Marriott hotels, this is the card that will get you elite status. And when booking travel, this is the card that can provide a 35% rebate on select tickets when you Pay With Points. Quite frankly, there is no other business card on the market with as many travel benefits as this one.
Don’t miss out on this bonus! Here’s the official application link: The Business Platinum Card from American Express
Additional reporting by Madison Blancaflor.
For rates and fees of the Amex Business Platinum Card, please click here.
Featured image by Isabelle Raphael/The Points Guy.
Welcome to The Points Guy!
Aside from the 85,000-point welcome bonus, Amex recently made huge improvements to the Business Platinum Card, including the fact that you will now earn 50% more points on purchases of $5,000 or more (up to a cap amount), earn 5x on flights and eligible hotels at Amextravel.com and cardholders will receive an up to $200 annual airline fee credit each calendar year.
- Earn 85,000 Membership Rewards® points after you spend $15,000 on eligible purchases with the Business Platinum Card plus earn 5x points on eligible purchases in 5 select business categories, up to 80,000 bonus points per category, all within the first 3 months of Card Membership.† Terms Apply.
- Get 50% more Membership Rewards® points. That's an extra half point per dollar, on each eligible purchase of $5,000 or more. You can get up to 1 million additional points per year.
- 35% Airline Bonus: Use Membership Rewards® Pay with Points for all or part of a flight with your selected qualifying airline, and you can get 35% of the points back, up to 500,000 bonus points per calendar year when you book on amextravel.com.
- Get 5X Membership Rewards® points on flights and prepaid hotels on amextravel.com.
- Enroll to get up to $200 in statement credits annually by getting up to $100 semi-annually for U.S. purchases with Dell. Terms apply.
- Pay Over Time Option: A flexible payment option to help manage cash flow on purchases of $100 or more.
- Terms Apply.
- See Rates & Fees