TPG exclusive: Earn 125,000 points with new Amex Business Platinum welcome offer
This post contains references to products from one or more of our advertisers. We may receive compensation when you click on links to those products. Terms apply to the offers listed on this page. For an explanation of our Advertising Policy, visit this page.
Editor’s note: This is a recurring post, regularly updated with new information.
With unparalleled travel perks and premium benefits, The Business Platinum Card® from American Express is one of the best business cards on the market. In particular, the Amex Business Platinum’s benefits make the card an excellent fit for business owners who travel frequently.
If you’ve been considering whether to add the Amex Business Platinum to your wallet, now is a great time with a generous new welcome bonus that’s exclusive to TPG readers. Today we’ll look at the new welcome bonus as well as what you should know about the Amex Business Platinum before you apply for the card.
Get the latest points, miles and travel news by signing up for TPG’s free daily newsletter.
The Points Guy exclusive Amex Business Platinum welcome offer
The TPG exclusive offer for the Amex Business Platinum Card allows new card members to earn a generous 125,000 Membership Rewards points after spending $15,000 on eligible purchases within the first three months of card membership. The previous public welcome bonus for this card was 85,000 Membership Rewards points, making this a big jump up. That said, we have heard of some referral offers being increased even above 125k points, so keep your eyes open for those if you know someone that can refer you to this card.
To get the 125,000-point bonus, your business will have to put a large amount of spending on the card in a short period. However, the $15,000 in spending required to earn this bonus is less than the $20,000 in spending that we’ve seen required to earn past Amex Business Platinum bonuses. So, if your business can spend $15,000 in three months, but would struggle to spend $20,000 in the same period, this welcome bonus may be particularly appealing.
Based on TPG’s most recent valuations, 125,000 Membership Rewards points are worth $2,500 in travel. However, you may be able to get even more value if you redeem your Amex Membership Rewards points for high-value redemptions. For example, here are some of the best ways to use Amex Membership Rewards points.
Who is eligible for the Amex Business Platinum welcome offer?
This Amex Business Platinum welcome offer carries Amex’s standard language regarding welcome offer eligibility:
Welcome offer not available to applicants who have or have had this Card. We may also consider the number of American Express Cards you have opened and closed as well as other factors in making a decision on your welcome offer eligibility.
However, the personal and business versions of the Amex Platinum are considered different products.
So, even if you currently have The Platinum Card® from American Express, Amex’s one-bonus-per-card-per-lifetime rule won’t prevent you from earning this card’s bonus. Likewise, you may be eligible to earn a welcome bonus on the Amex Business Platinum even if you already have another Amex business card, such as the American Express® Business Gold Card.
However, Amex may not offer you a welcome offer based on the number of American Express cards you have opened and closed as well as other factors. So, look out for any messages or pop-ups after you apply. Amex’s welcome bonus qualification tool will notify you if you aren’t eligible for the welcome bonus and allow you to withdraw your application.
Amex Business Platinum benefits
The welcome bonus is only one part of the Amex Business Platinum‘s appeal. After all, the Business Platinum also offers access to many great ongoing perks, including:
- Up to $200 in airline fee credits each calendar year
- Access to Amex Centurion Lounges, Delta Sky Clubs (on same-day Delta flights), Priority Pass lounges and other lounges in the American Express Global Lounge Collection
- Global Entry application credit every four years or TSA PreCheck application credit every 4.5 years (up to $100)
- Gold elite status with Hilton Honors and Marriott Bonvoy
- Up to $200 in annual statement credits for Dell technology U.S. purchases, split into a $100 credit for January through June and another $100 credit for July through December
- Access to the Fine Hotels & Resorts program, The Hotel Collection, the Cruise Privileges Program and the International Airline Program
- Upgrade with Points to request an airline ticket upgrade on select airlines
- Earn 5x points per dollar spent on flights and prepaid hotels booked through Amex Travel
- Earn 1.5x points on purchases of $5,000 or more (up to 1 million additional points per calendar year)
- A 35% rebate when you Pay With Points for a first or business class ticket on any airline or an economy ticket on one airline of your choice (up to 500,000 points per calendar year)
- Terms apply
Enrollment required for select benefits.
See the full review of the Business Platinum Card from American Express for more details.
Can I get an Amex Business Platinum card if I already have the personal version?
The Amex Business Platinum Card is a separate product from the consumer Amex Platinum. So, assuming you are eligible for a business card, you can get the Amex Business Platinum Card even if you already have the personal Amex Platinum.
However, just because you can get the Amex Business Platinum Card doesn’t mean you always should. Of course, there are reasons to have both the personal and business Amex Platinum cards. But, once you get beyond the welcome bonus, the benefits on the two cards overlap significantly. So, make sure you have a compelling reason to have both cards — and pay both annual fees — before applying.
The Business Platinum Card from American Express has a $595 annual fee (see rates and fees). But if you maximize the annual up to $200 airline fee credit and up to $200 Dell credit for U.S. purchases, you’ll effectively pay a net cost of only $195 a year for the card. And once you factor in the Global Entry/TSA Precheck credit, lounge access and other perks, the Amex Business Platinum can easily be worth it. And of course, earning an increased 125,000-point welcome bonus makes it extra enticing to give this card a try.
After all, there is no other business card on the market with as many travel benefits as this one.
Don’t miss out on this increased bonus! Official application link: The Business Platinum Card from American Express
For rates and fees of the Amex Business Platinum Card, please click here.
Featured image by Isabelle Raphael/The Points Guy.
Welcome to The Points Guy!
Aside from the 125,000-point welcome bonus, Amex recently made huge improvements to the Business Platinum Card, including the fact that you will now earn 50% more points on purchases of $5,000 or more (up to a cap amount), earn 5x on flights and eligible hotels at Amextravel.com and cardholders will receive an up to $200 annual airline fee credit each calendar year (enrollment required).
- The Points Guy Exclusive Offer: Earn 125,000 Membership Rewards® points after you spend $15,000 on eligible purchases with the Business Platinum Card within the first 3 months of Card Membership.
- Get 5X Membership Rewards® points on flights and prepaid hotels on amextravel.com.
- Get 50% more Membership Rewards® points. That's an extra half point per dollar, on each eligible purchase of $5,000 or more. You can get up to 1 million additional points per year.
- 35% Airline Bonus: Use Membership Rewards® Pay with Points for all or part of a flight with your selected qualifying airline, and you can get 35% of the points back, up to 500,000 bonus points per calendar year when you book on amextravel.com.
- Breeze through security with CLEAR® where available and get up to $179 back per year on your membership when you use your Card.
- Enroll to get up to $200 in statement credits annually by getting up to $100 semi-annually for U.S. purchases with Dell. Terms apply.
- Pay Over Time Option: A flexible payment option to help manage cash flow on purchases of $100 or more.
- Terms Apply.
- See Rates & Fees