Amex adds additional payment flexibility across many business credit cards
This post contains references to products from one or more of our advertisers. We may receive compensation when you click on links to those products. Terms apply to the offers listed on this page. For an explanation of our Advertising Policy, visit this page.
Flexibility is important now more than ever — both in redemption opportunities for travelers and in payment options for credit cardholders. American Express — known for issuing a handful of top card products that offer no pre-set spending limit but more strict payment requirements each month — has added more flexibility to the following business cards:
- The Business Platinum Card® from American Express
- American Express® Business Gold Card
- Business Green Rewards Card from American Express
The information for the Business Green Card has been collected independently by The Points Guy. The card details on this page have not been reviewed or provided by the card issuer.
Starting during cardholders’ November billing cycle, these cards will now have access to Amex’s Pay Over Time feature. You’ll be able to pay your balance in full or carry a balance (with interest) on eligible purchases of $100 or more.
“While American Express is known for our no pre-set spending limit, pay-in-full charge card model with our iconic Green, Gold and Platinum Cards, we’ve long heard from our Card Members who are small business owners that increased payment flexibility is important to them. This is especially critical during these times of uncertainty,” said Brett Sussman, Vice President of Global Commercial Card Lending at American Express in a press release. “Pay Over Time is another step in our broader strategy to provide business owners the flexible solutions they need to easily and efficiently manage payments and cash flow, through varying operating environments.” Enrollment required for select benefits.
Now, this isn’t an entirely new feature for business cardholders. Pay Over Time has been an opt-in option feature for a long time across Amex’s business credit cards, but the feature will now be automatically embedded into the cards. This takes some of the guesswork out for business cardholders and eliminates a few steps that were previously required in order to take advantage of the feature.
Related reading: Choosing the best Amex card for you
This is only the most recent change American Express has made across cards to make paying bills an easier process for all cardholders, both business and consumer. American Express announced in early August the addition of the Pay Over Time and “Pay It® and Plan It®” features to it’s The Platinum Card® from American Express, the mid-tier American Express® Gold Card and the entry-level American Express® Green Card, too. These positive changes to help cardholders haven’t gone unnoticed, either. According to J.D. Power’s recent edition of its 2020 Credit Card Satisfaction Survey, American Express leads the pack in consumer satisfaction compared to other top issuers including Discover, Chase, Bank of America and Capital One.
The information for the Amex Green Card has been collected independently by The Points Guy. The card details on this page have not been reviewed or provided by the card issuer.
For more credit card news and advice, sign up for TPG’s daily newsletter.
Featured image by Hero Images / Getty Images.
Welcome to The Points Guy!
Earn 50,000 bonus miles and 5,000 Medallion® Qualification Miles (MQMs) after you spend $2,000 in purchases on your new card in your first three months of card membership. Plus, earn up to $100 back in statement credits for eligible purchases at U.S. restaurants with your card within the first 3 months of membership.
With Status Boost™, earn 10,000 Medallion Qualification Miles (MQMs) after you spend $25,000 in purchases on your Card in a calendar year, up to two times per year getting you closer to Medallion Status. Earn 3X Miles on Delta purchases and purchases made directly with hotels, 2X Miles at restaurants and at U.S. supermarkets and earn 1X Mile on all other eligible purchases. Terms Apply.
- Earn 50,000 bonus miles and 5,000 Medallion® Qualification Miles (MQMs) after you spend $2,000 in purchases on your new Card in your first 3 months.
- Plus, earn up to $100 back in statement credits for eligible purchases at US restaurants with your card within the first 3 months of membership.
- Accelerate your path to Medallion Status, with Status Boost®. Plus, in 2021 you can earn even more bonus Medallion® Qualification Miles (MQMs) to help you reach Medallion Status.
- Earn 3X Miles on Delta purchases and purchases made directly with hotels.
- Earn 2X Miles at restaurants worldwide, including takeout and delivery and at U.S. supermarkets.
- Earn 1X Miles on all other eligible purchases.
- Receive a Domestic Main Cabin round-trip companion certificate each year upon renewal of your Card. *Payment of the government imposed taxes and fees of no more than $75 for roundtrip domestic flights (for itineraries with up to four flight segments) is required. Baggage charges and other restrictions apply. See terms and conditions for details.
- Enjoy your first checked bag free on Delta flights.
- Fee Credit for Global Entry or TSA Pre✓®.
- Enjoy an exclusive rate of $39 per person per visit to enter the Delta Sky Club® for you and up to two guests when traveling on a Delta flight.
- No Foreign Transaction Fees.
- $250 Annual Fee.
- Terms Apply.
- See Rates & Fees