Americans Are Spending More Money Than Ever Dining Out
This post contains references to products from one or more of our advertisers. We may receive compensation when you click on links to those products. Terms apply to the offers listed on this page. For an explanation of our Advertising Policy, visit this page.
If you are one of the many who spend the majority of each paycheck on restaurants, you’re not alone. In fact, the amount Americans are spending on food and drink is at an all-time high, according to a report released Wednesday by the Commerce Department.
“Sales at food-service and drinking establishments rose 1.3 percent in July to $61.6 billion,” Bloomberg reported, which at a gain of 25.3% over the summer alone is “the fastest pace in figures going back to 1992.”
The increased spend could signify that consumers are feeling more financially stable at the moment, according to economists Kevin Cummins and Michelle Girard at NatWest Markets. On the flip side, restaurants are certainly doing their part to keep dinner tabs high by raising prices to “keep up with higher minimum wages and rent costs.”
Whether a higher number of consumers are dining out more often, or fewer consumers are simply spending more, it’s a win-win for the credit card savvy: Spending in this category can work overtime for you if you know what you’re doing.
The proliferation of dining rewards programs and credit cards that offer double or triple the points on dining means you’ll earn more rewards with every order of steak frites and every bowl of pho that hits your table.
Image courtesy of Michael Berman via Getty Images.
Welcome to The Points Guy!
Earn 90,000 bonus miles after you spend $3,000 in purchases within the first three months of card membership. Plus, earn a $200 statement credit after your first Delta purchase within the first three months. Offer ends 7/28/21.
With Status Boost™, earn 10,000 Medallion Qualification Miles (MQMs) after you spend $25,000 in purchases on your Card in a calendar year, up to two times per year getting you closer to Medallion Status. Earn 3X Miles on Delta purchases and purchases made directly with hotels, 2X Miles at restaurants and at U.S. supermarkets and earn 1X Mile on all other eligible purchases. Terms Apply.
- Limited Time Offer: Earn 90,000 Bonus Miles after spending $3,000 in purchases on your new Card in your first 3 months and a $200 statement credit after you make a Delta purchase with your new Card within your first 3 months. Offer expires 7/28/2021.
- Limited Time Offer: Plus, get a 0% intro APR on purchases for 12 months from the date of account opening, then a variable 15.74%-24.74%. Offer expires 7/28/2021.
- Accelerate your path to Medallion Status, with Status Boost®. Plus, in 2021 you can earn even more bonus Medallion® Qualification Miles (MQMs) to help you reach Medallion Status.
- Earn 3X Miles on Delta purchases and purchases made directly with hotels.
- Earn 2X Miles at restaurants worldwide, including takeout and delivery and at U.S. supermarkets.
- Receive a Domestic Main Cabin round-trip companion certificate each year upon renewal of your Card. *Payment of the government imposed taxes and fees of no more than $75 for roundtrip domestic flights (for itineraries with up to four flight segments) is required. Baggage charges and other restrictions apply. See terms and conditions for details.
- Enjoy your first checked bag free on Delta flights.
- Fee Credit for Global Entry or TSA Pre✓®.
- Enjoy an exclusive rate of $39 per person per visit to enter the Delta Sky Club® for you and up to two guests when traveling on a Delta flight.
- No Foreign Transaction Fees.
- $250 Annual Fee.
- Terms Apply.
- See Rates & Fees