Americans Are Spending More Money Than Ever Dining Out
This post contains references to products from one or more of our advertisers. We may receive compensation when you click on links to those products. Terms apply to the offers listed on this page. For an explanation of our Advertising Policy, visit this page.
If you are one of the many who spend the majority of each paycheck on restaurants, you’re not alone. In fact, the amount Americans are spending on food and drink is at an all-time high, according to a report released Wednesday by the Commerce Department.
“Sales at food-service and drinking establishments rose 1.3 percent in July to $61.6 billion,” Bloomberg reported, which at a gain of 25.3% over the summer alone is “the fastest pace in figures going back to 1992.”
The increased spend could signify that consumers are feeling more financially stable at the moment, according to economists Kevin Cummins and Michelle Girard at NatWest Markets. On the flip side, restaurants are certainly doing their part to keep dinner tabs high by raising prices to “keep up with higher minimum wages and rent costs.”
Whether a higher number of consumers are dining out more often, or fewer consumers are simply spending more, it’s a win-win for the credit card savvy: Spending in this category can work overtime for you if you know what you’re doing.
The proliferation of dining rewards programs and credit cards that offer double or triple the points on dining means you’ll earn more rewards with every order of steak frites and every bowl of pho that hits your table.
Image courtesy of Michael Berman via Getty Images.
Welcome to The Points Guy!
WELCOME OFFER: 60,000 Points
TPG'S BONUS VALUATION*: $1,200
CARD HIGHLIGHTS: 2X points on all travel and dining, points transferrable to over a dozen travel partners
*Bonus value is an estimated value calculated by TPG and not the card issuer. View our latest valuations here.
- Earn 60,000 bonus points after you spend $4,000 on purchases in the first 3 months from account opening. That's $750 toward travel when you redeem through Chase Ultimate Rewards®
- 2X points on travel and dining at restaurants worldwide & 1 point per dollar spent on all other purchases.
- Get 25% more value when you redeem for airfare, hotels, car rentals and cruises through Chase Ultimate Rewards. For example, 60,000 points are worth $750 toward travel
- Get unlimited deliveries with a $0 delivery fee and reduced service fees on orders over $12 for a minimum of one year on qualifying food purchases with DashPass, DoorDash's subscription service. Activate by 12/31/21.
- Earn 5X points on Lyft rides through March 2022. That’s 3X points in addition to the 2X points you already earn on travel.