American suspends mileage expiration through 2021
This post contains references to products from one or more of our advertisers. We may receive compensation when you click on links to those products. Terms apply to the offers listed on this page. For an explanation of our Advertising Policy, visit this page.
In April of 2020, American Airlines released a statement announcing that it would extend AAdvantage mileage expiration through June 30, 2020, in response to the coronavirus outbreak. Then, mileage expiration was paused until the end of 2020.
Today, we have more good news to report. Despite the pandemic slowing and travel demand increasing, American Airlines again extended mileage expiration through the end of 2021.
Get the latest points, miles and travel news by signing up for TPG’s free daily newsletter.
Miles won’t expire until the end of 2021
According to American, mileage expiration is suspended through Dec. 31, 2021. All miles set to expire before this date now expire in January 2022 (if there’s no account activity by the new expiration date).
AAdvantage miles expire after 18 months of no activity, meaning that a user hasn’t earned or redeemed miles in this timeframe. Some ways you can keep your AAdvantage miles active without flying include spending on an American Airlines cobranded credit card like the Citi® / AAdvantage® Platinum Select® World Elite Mastercard®. Shopping through the AAdvantage shopping portal or earning miles with Bask Bank also keeps your miles from expiring.
The information for the Citi AAdvantage Platinum Card has been collected independently by The Points Guy. The card details on this page have not been reviewed or provided by the card issuer.
It’s nice to see American Airlines continue to take steps to ensure that its AAdvantage members’ points won’t expire during the coronavirus outbreak. However, you don’t want to wait if your miles are expiring. With increased vaccination and travel demand, this may be the last time American extends mileage validity.
Feature image by Zach Griff/The Points Guy
Welcome to The Points Guy!
Earn 50,000 bonus miles and 5,000 Medallion® Qualification Miles (MQMs) after you spend $2,000 in purchases on your new card in the first three months of card membership. Plus, earn up to $100 back in statement credits for eligible purchases at U.S. restaurants in the first three months of card membership.
With Status Boost™, earn 10,000 Medallion Qualification Miles (MQMs) after you spend $25,000 in purchases on your Card in a calendar year, up to two times per year getting you closer to Medallion Status. Earn 3X Miles on Delta purchases and purchases made directly with hotels, 2X Miles at restaurants and at U.S. supermarkets and earn 1X Mile on all other eligible purchases. Terms Apply.
- Earn 50,000 Bonus Miles and 5,000 Medallion® Qualification Miles (MQMs) after you spend $2,000 in purchases on your new Card in your first 3 months.
- Plus, earn up to $100 back in statement credits for eligible purchases at U.S. restaurants with your card within the first 3 months of membership.
- Earn up to 20,000 Medallion® Qualification Miles (MQMs) with Status Boost® per year. After you spend $25,000 in purchases on your Card in a calendar year, you can earn 10,000 MQMs two times per year, getting you closer to Medallion® Status. MQMs are used to determine Medallion® Status and are different than miles you earn toward flights.
- Earn 3X Miles on Delta purchases and purchases made directly with hotels.
- Earn 2X Miles at restaurants worldwide, including takeout and delivery and at U.S. supermarkets.
- Earn 1X Miles on all other eligible purchases.
- Receive a Domestic Main Cabin round-trip companion certificate each year upon renewal of your Card. *Payment of the government imposed taxes and fees of no more than $75 for roundtrip domestic flights (for itineraries with up to four flight segments) is required. Baggage charges and other restrictions apply. See terms and conditions for details.
- Enjoy your first checked bag free on Delta flights.
- Fee Credit for Global Entry or TSA Pre✓®.
- Enjoy an exclusive rate of $39 per person per visit to enter the Delta Sky Club® for you and up to two guests when traveling on a Delta flight.
- No Foreign Transaction Fees.
- $250 Annual Fee.
- Terms Apply.
- See Rates & Fees