Confirmed: American suspends mileage expiration through 2020
This post contains references to products from one or more of our advertisers. We may receive compensation when you click on links to those products. Terms apply to the offers listed on this page. For an explanation of our Advertising Policy, visit this page.
Back in April, American Airlines released a statement announcing that it would extend AAdvantage mileage expiration through June 30, 2020. We have more good news to report because the airline just confirmed it will suspend AAdvantage miles expiration through the end of the year and reinstate miles that expired since July 1, 2020.
This is the airline’s latest change related to the ongoing coronavirus outbreak and an extension of a previous suspension that was instated this April.
Get the latest points, miles and travel news by signing up for TPG’s free daily newsletter.
Miles won’t expire until the end of the year
According to American, mileage expiration is suspended through Dec. 31, 2020. This gives AAdvantage members more time to extend mileage validity by earning or redeeming miles. In addition, the airline will reinstate miles that have expired since July 1, 2020, when the airline’s previous mileage extension expired.
Those who paid to reinstate miles on or after July 1 will be compensated with bonus AAdvantage miles or can call American for a refund. American will communicate this to affected members in the near future and automate reactivation for those whose miles have already expired.
AAdvantage miles usually expire after 18 months of no activity, meaning that a user hasn’t earned or redeemed miles in this timeframe. Some ways you can keep your AAdvantage miles active without flying include spending on an American Airlines cobranded credit card like the Citi® / AAdvantage® Platinum Select® World Elite Mastercard®. Shopping through the AAdvantage shopping portal or earning miles with Bask Bank also keeps your miles from expiring.
The information for the Citi AAdvantage Platinum card has been collected independently by The Points Guy. The card details on this page have not been reviewed or provided by the card issuer.
It’s nice to see American Airlines continue to take steps to ensure that its AAdvantage members’ points won’t expire during the coronavirus outbreak. Likewise, we’re happy that American is reinstating miles that previously expired — without this exception, members could have been forced to pay a pretty penny to reinstate their miles.
Feature image by Zach Griff/The Points Guy
Welcome to The Points Guy!
WELCOME OFFER: 80,000 Points
TPG'S BONUS VALUATION*: $1,650
CARD HIGHLIGHTS: 2X points on all travel and dining, points transferrable to over a dozen travel partners
*Bonus value is an estimated value calculated by TPG and not the card issuer. View our latest valuations here.
- Earn 80,000 bonus points after you spend $4,000 on purchases in the first 3 months from account opening. That's $1,000 when you redeem through Chase Ultimate Rewards®. Plus earn up to $50 in statement credits towards grocery store purchases within your first year of account opening.
- Earn 2X points on dining including eligible delivery services, takeout and dining out and travel. Plus, earn 1 point per dollar spent on all other purchases.
- Get 25% more value when you redeem for airfare, hotels, car rentals and cruises through Chase Ultimate Rewards®. For example, 80,000 points are worth $1,000 toward travel.
- With Pay Yourself Back℠, your points are worth 25% more during the current offer when you redeem them for statement credits against existing purchases in select, rotating categories.
- Get unlimited deliveries with a $0 delivery fee and reduced service fees on eligible orders over $12 for a minimum of one year with DashPass, DoorDash's subscription service. Activate by 12/31/21.
- Count on Trip Cancellation/Interruption Insurance, Auto Rental Collision Damage Waiver, Lost Luggage Insurance and more.
- Get up to $60 back on an eligible Peloton Digital or All-Access Membership through 12/31/2021, and get full access to their workout library through the Peloton app, including cardio, running, strength, yoga, and more. Take classes using a phone, tablet, or TV. No fitness equipment is required.