American Express’ Coachella Perks Just Got Better
This post contains references to products from one or more of our advertisers. We may receive compensation when you click on links to those products. Terms apply to the offers listed on this page. For an explanation of our Advertising Policy, visit this page.
For the last few years, American Express has been a sponsor of one of the world’s most popular music festivals: the Coachella Valley Music & Arts Festival held in Southern California. Amex has announced this year’s perks for cardholders attending the festival, and one of the best benefits just got a little sweeter.
This year, any American Express cardholder (with a few exceptions) will earn a $20 statement credit after spending $100 at the festival. In 2018, the festival offered a $10 statement credit after spending $10, so while the spend requirement is higher, the discount has doubled. And from personal experience, I can tell you it’s definitely not difficult to spend $100 over three days at Coachella.
Enrolling is pretty easy. Just download the Coachella app, activate your festival wristband (which acts as a ticket and payment method) and enter your Amex card info into the app. You’ll also have to carry your physical card with you when you’re at the festival.
Last year, those with multiple Amex cards were able to get a credit for each card. The same may be possible this time around so it can be worth adding multiple Amex cards into the app and splitting purchases between cards.
Cardholders will get other perks too, like access for themselves and two friends to the onsite Amex Card Member Lounge and free monogram embroidery on any item of their choice. Want to try Coachella’s iconic ferris wheel? You and one friend will enjoy a comped ride that’ll provide great views overlooking the festival.
Like years past, those who hold The Platinum Card® from American Express or an ultra premium Centurion Black Card will have access to the Platinum House, held this year at The Avalon Hotel Palm Springs during the festival’s first weekend.
Access is available on Saturday, April 13 and Sunday, April 14 from 11:00am to 5:00pm and includes free food and cocktails. Platinum House activities for 2019 include live music performances, makeup artists, workout classes and spa treatments provided by high-end gym Equinox.
If you think the perks are worth it, there’s still time to apply for an Amex card before the festival. You can read TPG’s guide on choosing the best Amex card for you — a no-fee Amex should grant you access to all the of the festival benefits sans Platinum House.
For the latest travel news, deals and points and miles tips please subscribe to The Points Guy daily email newsletter.
Featured image by Christopher Polk/Getty Images for Coachella.
Welcome to The Points Guy!
WELCOME OFFER: 80,000 Points
TPG'S BONUS VALUATION*: $1,650
CARD HIGHLIGHTS: 2X points on all travel and dining, points transferrable to over a dozen travel partners
*Bonus value is an estimated value calculated by TPG and not the card issuer. View our latest valuations here.
- Earn 80,000 bonus points after you spend $4,000 on purchases in the first 3 months from account opening. That's $1,000 when you redeem through Chase Ultimate Rewards®. Plus earn up to $50 in statement credits towards grocery store purchases within your first year of account opening.
- Earn 2X points on dining including eligible delivery services, takeout and dining out and travel. Plus, earn 1 point per dollar spent on all other purchases.
- Get 25% more value when you redeem for airfare, hotels, car rentals and cruises through Chase Ultimate Rewards®. For example, 80,000 points are worth $1,000 toward travel.
- With Pay Yourself Back℠, your points are worth 25% more during the current offer when you redeem them for statement credits against existing purchases in select, rotating categories.
- Get unlimited deliveries with a $0 delivery fee and reduced service fees on eligible orders over $12 for a minimum of one year with DashPass, DoorDash's subscription service. Activate by 12/31/21.
- Count on Trip Cancellation/Interruption Insurance, Auto Rental Collision Damage Waiver, Lost Luggage Insurance and more.
- Get up to $60 back on an eligible Peloton Digital or All-Access Membership through 12/31/2021, and get full access to their workout library through the Peloton app, including cardio, running, strength, yoga, and more. Take classes using a phone, tablet, or TV. No fitness equipment is required.