American Express’ Coachella Perks Just Got Better
This post contains references to products from one or more of our advertisers. We may receive compensation when you click on links to those products. Terms apply to the offers listed on this page. For an explanation of our Advertising Policy, visit this page.
Update: Some offers mentioned below are no longer available. View the current offers here.
For the last few years, American Express has been a sponsor of one of the world’s most popular music festivals: the Coachella Valley Music & Arts Festival held in Southern California. Amex has announced this year’s perks for cardholders attending the festival, and one of the best benefits just got a little sweeter.
This year, any American Express cardholder (with a few exceptions) will earn a $20 statement credit after spending $100 at the festival. In 2018, the festival offered a $10 statement credit after spending $10, so while the spend requirement is higher, the discount has doubled. And from personal experience, I can tell you it’s definitely not difficult to spend $100 over three days at Coachella.
Enrolling is pretty easy. Just download the Coachella app, activate your festival wristband (which acts as a ticket and payment method) and enter your Amex card info into the app. You’ll also have to carry your physical card with you when you’re at the festival.
Last year, those with multiple Amex cards were able to get a credit for each card. The same may be possible this time around so it can be worth adding multiple Amex cards into the app and splitting purchases between cards.
Cardholders will get other perks too, like access for themselves and two friends to the onsite Amex Card Member Lounge and free monogram embroidery on any item of their choice. Want to try Coachella’s iconic ferris wheel? You and one friend will enjoy a comped ride that’ll provide great views overlooking the festival.
Like years past, those who hold The Platinum Card® from American Express or an ultra premium Centurion Black Card will have access to the Platinum House, held this year at The Avalon Hotel Palm Springs during the festival’s first weekend.
Access is available on Saturday, April 13 and Sunday, April 14 from 11:00am to 5:00pm and includes free food and cocktails. Platinum House activities for 2019 include live music performances, makeup artists, workout classes and spa treatments provided by high-end gym Equinox.
If you think the perks are worth it, there’s still time to apply for an Amex card before the festival. You can read TPG’s guide on choosing the best Amex card for you — a no-fee Amex should grant you access to all the of the festival benefits sans Platinum House.
For the latest travel news, deals and points and miles tips please subscribe to The Points Guy daily email newsletter.
Featured image by Christopher Polk/Getty Images for Coachella.
Welcome to The Points Guy!
Earn 50,000 bonus miles and 5,000 Medallion® Qualification Miles (MQMs) after you spend $2,000 in purchases on your new card in the first three months of card membership. Plus, earn up to $100 back in statement credits for eligible purchases at U.S. restaurants in the first three months of card membership.
With Status Boost™, earn 10,000 Medallion Qualification Miles (MQMs) after you spend $25,000 in purchases on your Card in a calendar year, up to two times per year getting you closer to Medallion Status. Earn 3X Miles on Delta purchases and purchases made directly with hotels, 2X Miles at restaurants and at U.S. supermarkets and earn 1X Mile on all other eligible purchases. Terms Apply.
- Earn 50,000 Bonus Miles and 5,000 Medallion® Qualification Miles (MQMs) after you spend $2,000 in purchases on your new Card in your first 3 months.
- Plus, earn up to $100 back in statement credits for eligible purchases at U.S. restaurants with your card within the first 3 months of membership.
- Earn up to 20,000 Medallion® Qualification Miles (MQMs) with Status Boost® per year. After you spend $25,000 in purchases on your Card in a calendar year, you can earn 10,000 MQMs two times per year, getting you closer to Medallion® Status. MQMs are used to determine Medallion® Status and are different than miles you earn toward flights.
- Earn 3X Miles on Delta purchases and purchases made directly with hotels.
- Earn 2X Miles at restaurants worldwide, including takeout and delivery and at U.S. supermarkets.
- Earn 1X Miles on all other eligible purchases.
- Receive a Domestic Main Cabin round-trip companion certificate each year upon renewal of your Card. *Payment of the government imposed taxes and fees of no more than $75 for roundtrip domestic flights (for itineraries with up to four flight segments) is required. Baggage charges and other restrictions apply. See terms and conditions for details.
- Enjoy your first checked bag free on Delta flights.
- Fee Credit for Global Entry or TSA Pre✓®.
- Enjoy an exclusive rate of $39 per person per visit to enter the Delta Sky Club® for you and up to two guests when traveling on a Delta flight.
- No Foreign Transaction Fees.
- $250 Annual Fee.
- Terms Apply.
- See Rates & Fees