American Airlines just updated its status challenge policy due to coronavirus
This post contains references to products from one or more of our advertisers. We may receive compensation when you click on links to those products. Terms apply to the offers listed on this page. For an explanation of our Advertising Policy, visit this page.
There was one component of American’s elite status extension announcement that was still to be determined. And that’s what would happen to those who were participating in status challenges once travel was halted.
At the time, we confirmed with AA that they would do something to make it up to those who could no longer complete their status challenge. And now, we’ve got the details of what AA’s doing.
For anyone who was registered for an elite challenge starting on or before March 31 that ended after March 31, 2020, the Fort Worth, Texas-based carrier is offering a do-over. AA will provide the opportunity to register for a new challenge any time between July 15, 2020 and Nov. 1, 2020. This expanded window will allow flyers to determine when’s the best time to restart their challenge, based on when they feel comfortable getting back in the air.
For more TPG news delivered each morning to your inbox, sign up for our daily newsletter.
Affected customers should expect to see an email from AA with details of the new challenge offer in the next few weeks, and the registration portal should appear in the AAdvantage promotion center as of July 15.
It’s unclear if AA is planning to lower the thresholds for earning status through a challenge like its doing for those earning status outright, but we’ll be sure to update this post when we learn more. Also, note that the progress earned during the first challenge won’t be rolled over to the second.
Though American’s been known to send out a plethora of targeted fast-track status challenge offers, it’s not the only U.S. airline to offer such a program —Delta and United do too.
As part of Delta’s Medallion updates, the carrier says that members currently enrolled in a challenge or promotion, like Status Match Challenge, Reclaim My Status or promotions offered through an employer, can start a new promotion when ready to start traveling again.
United similarly told TPG that if you’re in the middle of one and want to change the date or cancel and restart later, you can do so by calling United.
There’s one U.S. airline that has gone above and beyond for those who were enrolled in a status challenge. As part of Alaska’s status extension news, the carrier is granting full status through the end of 2021 for those participating in a challenge. If you initiated one with Alaska between Dec. 1, 2019, and March 31, 2020, the temporary status has been extended through Dec. 31, 2021.
Nonetheless, it’s great to see American finally formalize its status challenge extension. If travel is slow to recover, I’d imagine the carrier might further extend the valid dates. For now though, rest assured that you have until November to start planning future travel.
All photos by the author.
Welcome to The Points Guy!
Earn 90,000 bonus miles and 10,000 Medallion® Qualification Miles (MQMs) after you spend $3,000 in purchases on your new card in the first three months of card membership. Offer ends 11/10/2021.
With Status Boost™, earn 10,000 Medallion Qualification Miles (MQMs) after you spend $25,000 in purchases on your Card in a calendar year, up to two times per year getting you closer to Medallion Status. Earn 3X Miles on Delta purchases and purchases made directly with hotels, 2X Miles at restaurants and at U.S. supermarkets and earn 1X Mile on all other eligible purchases. Terms Apply.
- Limited Time Offer: Earn 90,000 Bonus Miles and 10,000 Medallion® Qualification Miles (MQMs) after you spend $3,000 in purchases on your new Card in your first 3 months. Offer expires 11/10/2021.
- Earn up to 20,000 Medallion® Qualification Miles (MQMs) with Status Boost® per year. After you spend $25,000 in purchases on your Card in a calendar year, you can earn 10,000 MQMs two times per year, getting you closer to Medallion® Status. MQMs are used to determine Medallion® Status and are different than miles you earn toward flights.
- Earn 3X Miles on Delta purchases and purchases made directly with hotels.
- Earn 2X Miles at restaurants worldwide, including takeout and delivery and at U.S. supermarkets.
- Earn 1X Miles on all other eligible purchases.
- Receive a Domestic Main Cabin round-trip companion certificate each year upon renewal of your Card. *Payment of the government imposed taxes and fees of no more than $75 for roundtrip domestic flights (for itineraries with up to four flight segments) is required. Baggage charges and other restrictions apply. See terms and conditions for details.
- Enjoy your first checked bag free on Delta flights.
- Fee Credit for Global Entry or TSA Pre✓®.
- Enjoy an exclusive rate of $39 per person per visit to enter the Delta Sky Club® for you and up to two guests when traveling on a Delta flight.
- No Foreign Transaction Fees.
- $250 Annual Fee.
- Terms Apply.
- See Rates & Fees