American improves basic economy with paid advanced seat selection option
This post contains references to products from one or more of our advertisers. We may receive compensation when you click on links to those products. Terms apply to the offers listed on this page. For an explanation of our Advertising Policy, visit this page.
Perhaps the most unwelcome change in the airline industry in the last decade was the introduction of basic economy fares. These bare-bones tickets stripped out many of the typical inclusions you’d find in a regular coach fare: things like seat selection and the ability to earn full miles. (Delta’s the sole outlier of the Big 3 and awards full mileage on basic economy tickets.)
Previously, these tickets only allowed you to pay for a seat assignment within a week of your flight. If you didn’t end up selecting a seat, one would be assigned to you when check-in opened.
Now, you’re able to purchase a seat anytime after booking. The cost of the seats vary by location and route.
American charges for Main Cabin Extra and Preferred seats when purchasing a regular coach ticket too. In my searches, the difference in price for those above-average seats on a regular and basic economy ticket was minimal. As such, there’s even less reason to avoid basic economy nowadays.
With this change, the remaining restrictions on American’s basic economy tickets are as follows:
- No changes or cancellations allowed (though that’s currently waived in light of the coronavirus)
- No upgrades
- 50% earn on miles and elite-qualifying miles and segments
- Board last (although Citi® / AAdvantage® Executive World Elite™ Mastercard® and Citi® / AAdvantage® Platinum Select® World Elite Mastercard® cardholders get priority/preferred boarding and free checked bags) The information for the Citi AAdvantage Platinum card has been collected independently by The Points Guy. The card details on this page have not been reviewed or provided by the card issuer.
Basic economy was originally designed as a pricing strategy to better compete with the ultra low-cost carriers. It then quickly expanded to routes not flown by other low-cost competitors, and so was disguised as a fare increase across the board. Modifying basic economy fares and restrictions was one of the seven things I argued that U.S. airlines should implement as part of getting a massive bailout package from the government.
As fewer restrictions are placed on basic economy tickets, airfare will still be determined by supply and demand. But there’s now even less of a reason to avoid the basic economy fare, especially since change and cancellation fees are waived in light of the coronavirus pandemic.
Featured photo by Zach Griff/The Points Guy
Welcome to The Points Guy!
WELCOME OFFER: 80,000 Points
TPG'S BONUS VALUATION*: $1,650
CARD HIGHLIGHTS: 2X points on all travel and dining, points transferrable to over a dozen travel partners
*Bonus value is an estimated value calculated by TPG and not the card issuer. View our latest valuations here.
- Earn 80,000 bonus points after you spend $4,000 on purchases in the first 3 months from account opening. That's $1,000 when you redeem through Chase Ultimate Rewards®. Plus earn up to $50 in statement credits towards grocery store purchases within your first year of account opening.
- Earn 2X points on dining including eligible delivery services, takeout and dining out and travel. Plus, earn 1 point per dollar spent on all other purchases.
- Get 25% more value when you redeem for airfare, hotels, car rentals and cruises through Chase Ultimate Rewards®. For example, 80,000 points are worth $1,000 toward travel.
- With Pay Yourself Back℠, your points are worth 25% more during the current offer when you redeem them for statement credits against existing purchases in select, rotating categories.
- Get unlimited deliveries with a $0 delivery fee and reduced service fees on eligible orders over $12 for a minimum of one year with DashPass, DoorDash's subscription service. Activate by 12/31/21.
- Count on Trip Cancellation/Interruption Insurance, Auto Rental Collision Damage Waiver, Lost Luggage Insurance and more.
- Get up to $60 back on an eligible Peloton Digital or All-Access Membership through 12/31/2021, and get full access to their workout library through the Peloton app, including cardio, running, strength, yoga, and more. Take classes using a phone, tablet, or TV. No fitness equipment is required.