AA Now Offering Bump Compensation Through Its App
This post contains references to products from one or more of our advertisers. We may receive compensation when you click on links to those products. Terms apply to the offers listed on this page. For an explanation of our Advertising Policy, visit this page.
A couple of weeks ago, American Airlines launched a new feature letting passengers volunteer for the bump list on oversold flights right in the AA app. At the time, an AA spokesperson told me that this was just a first step, and the airline was working on dynamic solutions to reduce the number oversold flights.
One of the methods that AA said it was working on was a way to add confirmable offers right in the app. I figured that this was a ways off from being implemented, but we already have our first field report from TPG reader Ed that received compensation to switch to a different flight.
Ed was scheduled to fly on Thursday from Washington-National (DCA) to Dublin (DUB) through Philadelphia (PHL). As an American Airlines Gold elite, Ed was eager to check-in Wednesday afternoon right at 24 hours to departure to select a Main Cabin Extra extra-legroom seat — which is complimentary for Gold elites at check-in. When he did, he received an offer of $200 to switch to one of four alternative itineraries (two on the same day, the other two for the following day).
One of the itineraries left a couple of hours later than his original flight, connected in Chicago-O’Hare (ORD) and arrived in Dublin a couple of hours later:
This itinerary had times that worked better for Ed anyways, so he happy took the offer. He was confirmed on the new flights instantly and received an electronic voucher for $200 “within a minute of being confirmed on the new flight.” Seems like it couldn’t have been a more seamless process (and he’s even getting a chance to meet up with some friends in the Chicago Admirals Club!).
Ed’s takeaway: “I’m guessing I could have made more at the actual gate but this is effortless!” Sure, this is a way for the airline to save on having to pay substantially more to a volunteer at the gate. But, it’s also good for the passenger taking the new offer, as they have a chance to be confirmed on a new flight without having to change plans at the last minute.
From looking at Ed’s original flights, the pinch point seems to be the DCA-PHL flight, which was fully sold out — and possibly still oversold — about an hour before departure:
Out of curiosity, I checked Ed’s new flights to see how much space was available. Turns out that both flights are completely sold out — and potentially oversold — as well.
So, Ed might have another opportunity to volunteer for a bump. While he doesn’t see any offers to switch to a new flight in his app currently, it’s possible he could take another offer at the gate.
Featured photo by Alberto Riva/TPG
Welcome to The Points Guy!
Earn 50,000 bonus miles and 5,000 Medallion® Qualification Miles (MQMs) after you spend $2,000 in purchases on your new card in your first three months of card membership. Plus, earn up to $100 back in statement credits for eligible purchases at U.S. restaurants with your card within the first 3 months of membership.
With Status Boost™, earn 10,000 Medallion Qualification Miles (MQMs) after you spend $25,000 in purchases on your Card in a calendar year, up to two times per year getting you closer to Medallion Status. Earn 3X Miles on Delta purchases and purchases made directly with hotels, 2X Miles at restaurants and at U.S. supermarkets and earn 1X Mile on all other eligible purchases. Terms Apply.
- Earn 50,000 bonus miles and 5,000 Medallion® Qualification Miles (MQMs) after you spend $2,000 in purchases on your new Card in your first 3 months.
- Plus, earn up to $100 back in statement credits for eligible purchases at US restaurants with your card within the first 3 months of membership.
- Accelerate your path to Medallion Status, with Status Boost®. Plus, in 2021 you can earn even more bonus Medallion® Qualification Miles (MQMs) to help you reach Medallion Status.
- Earn 3X Miles on Delta purchases and purchases made directly with hotels.
- Earn 2X Miles at restaurants worldwide, including takeout and delivery and at U.S. supermarkets.
- Earn 1X Miles on all other eligible purchases.
- Receive a Domestic Main Cabin round-trip companion certificate each year upon renewal of your Card. *Payment of the government imposed taxes and fees of no more than $75 for roundtrip domestic flights (for itineraries with up to four flight segments) is required. Baggage charges and other restrictions apply. See terms and conditions for details.
- Enjoy your first checked bag free on Delta flights.
- Fee Credit for Global Entry or TSA Pre✓®.
- Enjoy an exclusive rate of $39 per person per visit to enter the Delta Sky Club® for you and up to two guests when traveling on a Delta flight.
- No Foreign Transaction Fees.
- $250 Annual Fee.
- Terms Apply.
- See Rates & Fees