American Airlines Suspends First Route Due to Boeing 737 MAX Grounding
This post contains references to products from one or more of our advertisers. We may receive compensation when you click on links to those products. Terms apply to the offers listed on this page. For an explanation of our Advertising Policy, visit this page.
American Airlines flights to Oakland, California, this summer have fallen victim to the continued grounding of the Boeing 737 MAX.
The Oneworld Alliance carrier will suspend one of its two routes to Oakland (OAK), dropping its daily flight to Dallas/Fort Worth (DFW) from July 6 to Sept. 4 due to the ongoing MAX situation, says American spokeswoman Nichelle Tait. This is the first route the company has put on hiatus because of the three month-long grounding.
American’s service between Oakland and Phoenix (PHX) will continue.
While the Oakland flights are flown with 737-800 aircraft, and not the 737 MAX, temporarily suspending the route frees up an aircraft to cover for the MAX elsewhere in the airline’s schedule.
“We are moving our aircraft around the system as efficiently as possible,” says Tait.
American operated 24 737 MAX 8 when aircraft was grounded in March following the second of two fatal crashes within five months. The company has removed the MAX from schedules through Sept. 3, resulting in roughly 115 daily flight cancellations through the summer.
In April, the company forecast that the 737 MAX grounding would reduce its 2019 pre-tax earnings by about $350 million through Aug. 19. Executives said at the time that this number would rise the longer the aircraft was out of service.
American will continue to serve the Bay Area from Dallas/Fort Worth with flights to San Francisco (SFO) and San Jose (SJC), California, according to Diio by Cirium schedules.
Separately, American has shifted two of its routes to Vancouver (YVR) to seasonal status. The airline will suspend flights to the Canadian city from Chicago O’Hare (ORD) on Sept. 4, and from Phoenix on Nov. 20 and resume service in June 2020, Diio shows and Tait confirms.
Both routes to Vancouver were underperforming, she says. American will continue to serve Vancouver year-round from Dallas/Fort Worth and Los Angeles.
The carrier plans to grow system capacity by roughly 2.5% in 2019, with the majority of that concentrated at Dallas/Fort Worth.
Featured image courtesy of American Airlines.
Welcome to The Points Guy!
Earn 90,000 bonus miles after you spend $3,000 in purchases within the first three months of card membership. Plus, earn a $200 statement credit after your first Delta purchase within the first three months. Offer ends 7/28/21.
With Status Boost™, earn 10,000 Medallion Qualification Miles (MQMs) after you spend $25,000 in purchases on your Card in a calendar year, up to two times per year getting you closer to Medallion Status. Earn 3X Miles on Delta purchases and purchases made directly with hotels, 2X Miles at restaurants and at U.S. supermarkets and earn 1X Mile on all other eligible purchases. Terms Apply.
- Limited Time Offer: Earn 90,000 Bonus Miles after spending $3,000 in purchases on your new Card in your first 3 months and a $200 statement credit after you make a Delta purchase with your new Card within your first 3 months. Offer expires 7/28/2021.
- Limited Time Offer: Plus, get a 0% intro APR on purchases for 12 months from the date of account opening, then a variable 15.74%-24.74%. Offer expires 7/28/2021.
- Accelerate your path to Medallion Status, with Status Boost®. Plus, in 2021 you can earn even more bonus Medallion® Qualification Miles (MQMs) to help you reach Medallion Status.
- Earn 3X Miles on Delta purchases and purchases made directly with hotels.
- Earn 2X Miles at restaurants worldwide, including takeout and delivery and at U.S. supermarkets.
- Receive a Domestic Main Cabin round-trip companion certificate each year upon renewal of your Card. *Payment of the government imposed taxes and fees of no more than $75 for roundtrip domestic flights (for itineraries with up to four flight segments) is required. Baggage charges and other restrictions apply. See terms and conditions for details.
- Enjoy your first checked bag free on Delta flights.
- Fee Credit for Global Entry or TSA Pre✓®.
- Enjoy an exclusive rate of $39 per person per visit to enter the Delta Sky Club® for you and up to two guests when traveling on a Delta flight.
- No Foreign Transaction Fees.
- $250 Annual Fee.
- Terms Apply.
- See Rates & Fees