American Airlines returns to Shanghai after 10-month coronavirus hiatus
This post contains references to products from one or more of our advertisers. We may receive compensation when you click on links to those products. Terms apply to the offers listed on this page. For an explanation of our Advertising Policy, visit this page.
American Airlines will return to Shanghai nearly 10 months after it suspended service to the Chinese city in the early days of the coronavirus pandemic.
The Oneworld alliance carrier will offer a weekly flight to Shanghai Pudong (PVG) from Dallas/Fort Worth (DFW) with a stop at Seoul Incheon (ICN), American spokesperson Nichelle Tait confirmed to TPG. The airline plans to fly a Boeing 787-9 on the route beginning Nov. 8.
Tickets are on sale now for the flight. However, only through passengers from the U.S. can book tickets to Shanghai and not travelers beginning or ending their trips in Seoul.
American’s return to China comes even as travel between the two countries remains off limits for most. Beijing limits international arrivals to only its citizens. Delta Air Lines and United Airlines have both resumed limited flights citing strong cargo demand between China and the U.S.
Delta returned to Shanghai at the end of June and United in early July. The former’s flights continue to stop in Seoul while the latter dropped the South Korean stopover in favor of a nonstop to San Francisco (SFO) in October.
In addition, all three carriers continue to fly a fraction of their pre-COVID schedules. American plans to fly about half of what it flew a year ago in November and December, according to Cirium schedules.
American ended service to both Beijing and Shanghai at the end of January amid rising fears of the novel coronavirus. Plans to resume service in March were postponed as the severity of the outbreak — later pandemic — became clear.
Following the resumption of Shanghai flights, American plans to return to Beijing in March. The carrier will serve the Chinese capital’s new Daxing (PKX) airport that is a hub for its partner China Southern Airlines.
Featured image by JT Genter/The Points Guy.
Welcome to The Points Guy!
Earn 50,000 bonus miles and 5,000 Medallion® Qualification Miles (MQMs) after you spend $2,000 in purchases on your new card in your first three months of card membership. Plus, earn up to $100 back in statement credits for eligible purchases at U.S. restaurants with your card within the first 3 months of membership.
With Status Boost™, earn 10,000 Medallion Qualification Miles (MQMs) after you spend $25,000 in purchases on your Card in a calendar year, up to two times per year getting you closer to Medallion Status. Earn 3X Miles on Delta purchases and purchases made directly with hotels, 2X Miles at restaurants and at U.S. supermarkets and earn 1X Mile on all other eligible purchases. Terms Apply.
- Earn 50,000 bonus miles and 5,000 Medallion® Qualification Miles (MQMs) after you spend $2,000 in purchases on your new Card in your first 3 months.
- Plus, earn up to $100 back in statement credits for eligible purchases at US restaurants with your card within the first 3 months of membership.
- Accelerate your path to Medallion Status, with Status Boost®. Plus, in 2021 you can earn even more bonus Medallion® Qualification Miles (MQMs) to help you reach Medallion Status.
- Earn 3X Miles on Delta purchases and purchases made directly with hotels.
- Earn 2X Miles at restaurants worldwide, including takeout and delivery and at U.S. supermarkets.
- Earn 1X Miles on all other eligible purchases.
- Receive a Domestic Main Cabin round-trip companion certificate each year upon renewal of your Card. *Payment of the government imposed taxes and fees of no more than $75 for roundtrip domestic flights (for itineraries with up to four flight segments) is required. Baggage charges and other restrictions apply. See terms and conditions for details.
- Enjoy your first checked bag free on Delta flights.
- Fee Credit for Global Entry or TSA Pre✓®.
- Enjoy an exclusive rate of $39 per person per visit to enter the Delta Sky Club® for you and up to two guests when traveling on a Delta flight.
- No Foreign Transaction Fees.
- $250 Annual Fee.
- Terms Apply.
- See Rates & Fees