American Airlines completes Beijing realignment with move to new Daxing airport
This post contains references to products from one or more of our advertisers. We may receive compensation when you click on links to those products. Terms apply to the offers listed on this page. For an explanation of our Advertising Policy, visit this page.
American Airlines will move to Beijing’s giant new Daxing airport in March, completing the realignment of U.S. carriers in the Chinese capital.
The Oneworld Alliance carrier will operate its first flight to Daxing (PKX) on March 27, marking its return to Beijing after a more than year-long hiatus, American said recently. American will offer daily service between Dallas/Fort Worth (DFW) and Daxing with a Boeing 787-8.
Tickets for American’s service to Daxing went on sale on Monday. Introductory one-way economy fares between Dallas/Fort Worth and Beijing begin at $890.
The move marks the expected realignment of U.S. air service to Beijing. In 2021, American and Delta Air Lines will have both moved to Daxing where their partners — China Southern Airlines and China Eastern Airlines, respectively — operate hubs. United Airlines will remain at Beijing Capital (PEK), where its partner Air China maintains a hub.
American, Delta and United all suspended flights to Beijing during the early days of the coronavirus pandemic in February.
Chinese authorities built Daxing with to relieve congestion at Beijing Capital. The city’s primary airport was the second busiest in the world with more than 100 million travelers in 2018, according to Airports Council International (ACI) data.
When American lands at Daxing, it will be smaller in Beijing than it was before the pandemic. The airline will not resume flights between Los Angeles (LAX) and Beijing next year, having returned rights to fly the route to the U.S. Department of Transportation in July.
Featured image by Nicolas Economou/NurPhoto via Getty Images.
Welcome to The Points Guy!
Earn 50,000 bonus miles and 5,000 Medallion® Qualification Miles (MQMs) after you spend $2,000 in purchases on your new card in the first three months of card membership. Plus, earn up to $100 back in statement credits for eligible purchases at U.S. restaurants in the first three months of card membership.
With Status Boost™, earn 10,000 Medallion Qualification Miles (MQMs) after you spend $25,000 in purchases on your Card in a calendar year, up to two times per year getting you closer to Medallion Status. Earn 3X Miles on Delta purchases and purchases made directly with hotels, 2X Miles at restaurants and at U.S. supermarkets and earn 1X Mile on all other eligible purchases. Terms Apply.
- Earn 50,000 Bonus Miles and 5,000 Medallion® Qualification Miles (MQMs) after you spend $2,000 in purchases on your new Card in your first 3 months.
- Plus, earn up to $100 back in statement credits for eligible purchases at U.S. restaurants with your card within the first 3 months of membership.
- Earn up to 20,000 Medallion® Qualification Miles (MQMs) with Status Boost® per year. After you spend $25,000 in purchases on your Card in a calendar year, you can earn 10,000 MQMs two times per year, getting you closer to Medallion® Status. MQMs are used to determine Medallion® Status and are different than miles you earn toward flights.
- Earn 3X Miles on Delta purchases and purchases made directly with hotels.
- Earn 2X Miles at restaurants worldwide, including takeout and delivery and at U.S. supermarkets.
- Earn 1X Miles on all other eligible purchases.
- Receive a Domestic Main Cabin round-trip companion certificate each year upon renewal of your Card. *Payment of the government imposed taxes and fees of no more than $75 for roundtrip domestic flights (for itineraries with up to four flight segments) is required. Baggage charges and other restrictions apply. See terms and conditions for details.
- Enjoy your first checked bag free on Delta flights.
- Fee Credit for Global Entry or TSA Pre✓®.
- Enjoy an exclusive rate of $39 per person per visit to enter the Delta Sky Club® for you and up to two guests when traveling on a Delta flight.
- No Foreign Transaction Fees.
- $250 Annual Fee.
- Terms Apply.
- See Rates & Fees