American Airlines completes Beijing realignment with move to new Daxing airport
This post contains references to products from one or more of our advertisers. We may receive compensation when you click on links to those products. Terms apply to the offers listed on this page. For an explanation of our Advertising Policy, visit this page.
American Airlines will move to Beijing’s giant new Daxing airport in March, completing the realignment of U.S. carriers in the Chinese capital.
The Oneworld Alliance carrier will operate its first flight to Daxing (PKX) on March 27, marking its return to Beijing after a more than year-long hiatus, American said recently. American will offer daily service between Dallas/Fort Worth (DFW) and Daxing with a Boeing 787-8.
Tickets for American’s service to Daxing went on sale on Monday. Introductory one-way economy fares between Dallas/Fort Worth and Beijing begin at $890.
The move marks the expected realignment of U.S. air service to Beijing. In 2021, American and Delta Air Lines will have both moved to Daxing where their partners — China Southern Airlines and China Eastern Airlines, respectively — operate hubs. United Airlines will remain at Beijing Capital (PEK), where its partner Air China maintains a hub.
American, Delta and United all suspended flights to Beijing during the early days of the coronavirus pandemic in February.
Chinese authorities built Daxing with to relieve congestion at Beijing Capital. The city’s primary airport was the second busiest in the world with more than 100 million travelers in 2018, according to Airports Council International (ACI) data.
When American lands at Daxing, it will be smaller in Beijing than it was before the pandemic. The airline will not resume flights between Los Angeles (LAX) and Beijing next year, having returned rights to fly the route to the U.S. Department of Transportation in July.
Featured image by Nicolas Economou/NurPhoto via Getty Images.
Welcome to The Points Guy!
WELCOME OFFER: 80,000 Points
TPG'S BONUS VALUATION*: $1,600
CARD HIGHLIGHTS: 2X points on all travel and dining, points transferrable to over a dozen travel partners
*Bonus value is an estimated value calculated by TPG and not the card issuer. View our latest valuations here.
- Earn 80,000 bonus points after you spend $4,000 on purchases in the first 3 months from account opening. That's $1,000 toward travel when you redeem through Chase Ultimate Rewards®.
- 2X points on travel and dining at restaurants worldwide, eligible delivery services, takeout and dining out & 1 point per dollar spent on all other purchases.
- Get 25% more value when you redeem for airfare, hotels, car rentals and cruises through Chase Ultimate Rewards. For example, 80,000 points are worth $1,000 toward travel.
- Get unlimited deliveries with a $0 delivery fee and reduced service fees on orders over $12 for a minimum of one year on qualifying food purchases with DashPass, DoorDash's subscription service. Activate by 12/31/21.
- Earn 5X points on Lyft rides through March 2022. That’s 3X points in addition to the 2X points you already earn on travel.