American Airlines adds 8 new and expanded leisure-focused routes
This post contains references to products from one or more of our advertisers. We may receive compensation when you click on links to those products. Terms apply to the offers listed on this page. For an explanation of our Advertising Policy, visit this page.
American Airlines is back with another round of route adjustments.
On Friday, the Fort Worth-based carrier unveiled a slew of new leisure-focused routes from its Philadelphia (PHL) hub for the summer schedule.
Specifically, the carrier confirmed the following four new routes…
- Philadelphia (PHL) to Daytona Beach, Florida (DAB)
- Philadelphia (PHL) to Salt Lake City (SLC)
- Philadelphia (PHL) to Santiago, Dominican Republic (STI)
- Philadelphia (PHL) to Traverse City, Michigan (TVC)
… and expanded service on the following four routes:
- Philadelphia (PHL) to Hilton Head, South Carolina (HHH)
- Philadelphia (PHL) to Key West, Florida (EYW)
- Philadelphia (PHL) to Nantucket, Massachusetts (ACK)
- Philadelphia (PHL) to Santo Domingo, Dominican Republic (SDQ)
Want more airline-specific news? Sign up for TPG’s free new biweekly Aviation newsletter!
Three of the four new routes will be operated daily. Santiago service — a new American route from Philadelphia — will be limited to a Monday, Wednesday, Friday schedule on a mix of the Airbus A320 and Boeing 737 fleet from April 2 to Aug. 16.
The three new domestic routes will be operated daily beginning June 3. American Eagle partner PSA Airlines will fly the Daytona Beach and Traverse City flights with a TK-seat CRJ-700.
Cirium schedules show that American began Philly to Daytona Beach service in December 2020, so it’s clearly been performing well enough for the carrier to extend the service through the summer. Traverse City is a new American route from Philadelphia, per Cirium timetables.
Salt Lake City service will also start June 3 and continue year-round aboard an Airbus A320. Cirium schedules show that American converted Philadelphia to Salt Lake City service to seasonal during the winter of 2018, so it’s been roughly three years since the carrier flew to the Utah capitol during the summer.
The four routes with expanded service were all previously planned for once-weekly Saturday flights. Now, they’ll be flown daily, except for Santo Domingo, which will operate on Tuesdays, Thursdays, Saturdays and Sundays.
Key West flights are year-round; the others will be operated seasonally during the summer.
In e arly January, the carrier unveiled new flights from Philadelphia to two Florida destinations — Panama City (ECP) and Destin-Fort Walton Beach (VPS), as well as a third route from Boston (BOS) to Hilton Head, South Carolina (HHH).
One week later, American expanded service from its Dallas/Fort Worth mega-hub to both Daytona Beach and St. George, Utah, among other schedule updates.
Other airlines: Delta charges into leisure markets with latest route shakeup
The common theme across all the latest route adjustments is the focus on outdoor-friendly destinations with plenty of room for social distancing.
With the pandemic raging, airlines are boosting service on leisure-focused routes in the hopes of capturing the limited demand that’s flying right now.
Just this week, Southwest unveiled four new Florida and Hawaii routes, while United boosted its Denver hub with a four-route Florida expansion.
Featured photo by Zach Griff/The Points Guy
Welcome to The Points Guy!
Earn 90,000 bonus miles and 10,000 Medallion® Qualification Miles (MQMs) after you spend $3,000 in purchases on your new card in the first three months of card membership. Offer ends 11/10/2021.
With Status Boost™, earn 10,000 Medallion Qualification Miles (MQMs) after you spend $25,000 in purchases on your Card in a calendar year, up to two times per year getting you closer to Medallion Status. Earn 3X Miles on Delta purchases and purchases made directly with hotels, 2X Miles at restaurants and at U.S. supermarkets and earn 1X Mile on all other eligible purchases. Terms Apply.
- Limited Time Offer: Earn 90,000 Bonus Miles and 10,000 Medallion® Qualification Miles (MQMs) after you spend $3,000 in purchases on your new Card in your first 3 months. Offer expires 11/10/2021.
- Earn up to 20,000 Medallion® Qualification Miles (MQMs) with Status Boost® per year. After you spend $25,000 in purchases on your Card in a calendar year, you can earn 10,000 MQMs two times per year, getting you closer to Medallion® Status. MQMs are used to determine Medallion® Status and are different than miles you earn toward flights.
- Earn 3X Miles on Delta purchases and purchases made directly with hotels.
- Earn 2X Miles at restaurants worldwide, including takeout and delivery and at U.S. supermarkets.
- Earn 1X Miles on all other eligible purchases.
- Receive a Domestic Main Cabin round-trip companion certificate each year upon renewal of your Card. *Payment of the government imposed taxes and fees of no more than $75 for roundtrip domestic flights (for itineraries with up to four flight segments) is required. Baggage charges and other restrictions apply. See terms and conditions for details.
- Enjoy your first checked bag free on Delta flights.
- Fee Credit for Global Entry or TSA Pre✓®.
- Enjoy an exclusive rate of $39 per person per visit to enter the Delta Sky Club® for you and up to two guests when traveling on a Delta flight.
- No Foreign Transaction Fees.
- $250 Annual Fee.
- Terms Apply.
- See Rates & Fees