American Airlines add 2 new routes, boosts 2 others with latest schedule update
This post contains references to products from one or more of our advertisers. We may receive compensation when you click on links to those products. Terms apply to the offers listed on this page. For an explanation of our Advertising Policy, visit this page.
Another week, another round of route changes for American Airlines.
The latest additions for the Fort Worth-based carrier are to two destinations in Louisiana — Alexandria (AEX) and Lafayette (LFT).
Starting April 2, American will fly from Charlotte (CLT) to both AEX and LFT with its regional affiliate PSA Airlines, according to Cirium schedules and confirmed by the carrier. Both flights will be operated by a CRJ-900 offering a first-class cabin, as well as extra-legroom economy and standard coach seating.
Alexandria flights will be operated once-daily in each direction, while Lafayette will be operated twice-daily in each direction. The flights are already bookable with introductory fares beginning at around $100 each way.
Want more airline-specific news? Sign up for TPG’s free new biweekly Aviation newsletter!
These aren’t new pins on AA’s route map.
The carrier already flies to both Louisiana cities from its mega-hub in Dallas/Fort Worth (DFW). Adding flights from Charlotte, however, opens up a range of connecting possibilities for American flyers living east of Dallas.
In a statement, Brian Znotins, American’s vice president of network planning said these “flights to CLT introduce several new connections up and down the East Coast and internationally as customers begin to resume travel.”
American is also boosting service to another warm-weather destination, Daytona Beach, Florida (DAB).
Last year, the carrier started seasonal service from DFW to DAB that was scheduled to run from Dec. 19, 2020 to April 5, 2021. In American’s latest schedule update, however, the new nonstop was extended through the end of the year, confirmed by Cirium schedules and the carrier.
American Eagle partner Mesa Airlines will fly the once-daily flight with a CRJ-900.
Another overperforming route, DFW to St. George, Utah (SGU), got a big boost over the weekend.
Previously, the once-weekly Saturday service was scheduled to end on May 1. Not only is American extending the route through the summer, but it’s also going up to daily.
The carrier confirmed to TPG that the DFW to SGU route will operate daily from April 2 to Sept. 7, operated by a SkyWest Airlines CRJ-700. However, Cirium schedules show that the St. George connection is slated to end on Nov. 5, though it’s possible that the carrier intends to further extend this route.
A common theme across all four schedule changes is the focus on outdoor-friendly destinations. With the pandemic raging, American seems to be betting that leisure-focused flyers will continue seeking vacations with built-in social distancing, like hiking in Utah or sunbathing in Florida.
Altogether, American’s moves are aimed at capturing traffic on routes where people are currently flying. Nevertheless, mid-pandemic passenger numbers and flight counts are still down significantly compared to the historic highs of 2019.
Cirium schedules show that American plans to fly 35% fewer flights in the first quarter of 2021 compared to two years prior. In February alone, the carrier is scheduled to operate 74% fewer flights than in February 2019.
Now, all eyes turn to the company’s fourth-quarter earnings, which will be announced in just over a week.
Featured image by FG/Bauer-Griffin/GC Images
Welcome to The Points Guy!
Earn 90,000 bonus miles after you spend $3,000 in purchases on your new Card in your first 3 months. Offer ends 8/3/2022.
With Status Boost™, earn 10,000 Medallion Qualification Miles (MQMs) after you spend $25,000 in purchases on your Card in a calendar year, up to two times per year getting you closer to Medallion Status. Earn 3X Miles on Delta purchases and purchases made directly with hotels, 2X Miles at restaurants and at U.S. supermarkets and earn 1X Mile on all other eligible purchases. Terms Apply.
- Limited Time Offer: Earn 90,000 bonus miles after you spend $3,000 in purchases on your new Card in your first 3 months. Offer ends 8/3/2022.
- Earn up to 20,000 Medallion® Qualification Miles (MQMs) with Status Boost® per year. After you spend $25,000 in purchases on your Card in a calendar year, you can earn 10,000 MQMs up to two times per year, getting you closer to Medallion® Status. MQMs are used to determine Medallion® Status and are different than miles you earn toward flights.
- Earn 3X Miles on Delta purchases and purchases made directly with hotels.
- Earn 2X Miles at restaurants worldwide including takeout and delivery in the U.S., and at U.S. supermarkets.
- Earn 1X Miles on all other eligible purchases.
- Receive a Domestic Main Cabin round-trip companion certificate each year upon renewal of your Card. Payment of the government imposed taxes and fees of no more than $80 for roundtrip domestic flights (for itineraries with up to four flight segments) is required. Baggage charges and other restrictions apply. See terms and conditions for details.
- Enjoy your first checked bag free on Delta flights.
- Fee Credit for Global Entry or TSA PreCheck® after you apply through any Authorized Enrollment Provider. If approved for Global Entry, at no additional charge, you will receive access to TSA PreCheck.
- Enjoy an exclusive rate of $39 per person per visit to enter the Delta Sky Club® for you and up to two guests when traveling on a Delta flight.
- No Foreign Transaction Fees.
- $250 Annual Fee.
- Terms Apply.
- See Rates & Fees