American Airlines moves to fill United gap in Cleveland
American Airlines is adding flights on two routes to Cleveland that United Airlines is cutting this spring.
The Oneworld alliance carrier will add a fourth daily flight between Cleveland Hopkins International Airport (CLE) and Washington Reagan National (DCA) on June 4, the Cleveland airport unveiled Friday.
The same day, American will shift two of its three existing Washington National flights, as well as its four daily New York LaGuardia (LGA) flights to either Bombardier CRJ700 or Embraer E175 jets — both have first class and economy cabins — from smaller all-economy Embraer ERJ-140s.
The additions come just weeks after United announced that it would end service to both New York LaGuardia and Washington National from Cleveland on March 29. The cuts are the latest in the Chicago-based carrier’s continued downsizing of the former Continental Airlines hub at Hopkins, where it will only serve its hubs and four cities in Florida after March.
With United’s exit from the LaGuardia and Washington National routes, American and Delta Air Lines are the only carriers left flying between Cleveland and LaGuardia, and American the sole carrier flying between the Northern Ohio city and Washington National, according to Cirium schedules.
The added Washington capacity comes a year before American’s planned growth spurt at National. In 2021, when a new 14-gate regional concourse opens at the airport, the airline plans to replace many of the 50-seat jets that it flies to National with larger 65- or 76-seat models, like the CRJ700 and E175. This will allow American to grow at what it considers one of its most profitable hubs while staying within the slot restrictions that limit it from adding new flights.
— Edward Russell (@e_russell) December 16, 2019
American plans to grow system capacity by 4-5% year-over-year in 2020, with the final number dependent on when the Boeing 737 MAX returns to service. Much the growth this year will be in Charlotte (CLT), where the airline debuted its “Charlotte 700 plus” schedule in December.
Featured image by Robert Alexander/Getty Images.
Welcome to The Points Guy!
Earn 50,000 bonus miles and 5,000 Medallion® Qualification Miles (MQMs) after you spend $2,000 in purchases on your new card in your first three months of card membership. Plus, earn up to $100 back in statement credits for eligible purchases at U.S. restaurants with your card within the first 3 months of membership.
With Status Boost™, earn 10,000 Medallion Qualification Miles (MQMs) after you spend $25,000 in purchases on your Card in a calendar year, up to two times per year getting you closer to Medallion Status. Earn 3X Miles on Delta purchases and purchases made directly with hotels, 2X Miles at restaurants and at U.S. supermarkets and earn 1X Mile on all other eligible purchases. Terms Apply.
- Earn 50,000 bonus miles and 5,000 Medallion® Qualification Miles (MQMs) after you spend $2,000 in purchases on your new Card in your first 3 months.
- Plus, earn up to $100 back in statement credits for eligible purchases at US restaurants with your card within the first 3 months of membership.
- Accelerate your path to Medallion Status, with Status Boost®. Plus, in 2021 you can earn even more bonus Medallion® Qualification Miles (MQMs) to help you reach Medallion Status.
- Earn 3X Miles on Delta purchases and purchases made directly with hotels.
- Earn 2X Miles at restaurants worldwide, including takeout and delivery and at U.S. supermarkets.
- Earn 1X Miles on all other eligible purchases.
- Receive a Domestic Main Cabin round-trip companion certificate each year upon renewal of your Card. *Payment of the government imposed taxes and fees of no more than $75 for roundtrip domestic flights (for itineraries with up to four flight segments) is required. Baggage charges and other restrictions apply. See terms and conditions for details.
- Enjoy your first checked bag free on Delta flights.
- Fee Credit for Global Entry or TSA Pre✓®.
- Enjoy an exclusive rate of $39 per person per visit to enter the Delta Sky Club® for you and up to two guests when traveling on a Delta flight.
- No Foreign Transaction Fees.
- $250 Annual Fee.
- Terms Apply.
- See Rates & Fees