American Airlines No Longer Contacting Passengers Via Phone Call About Flight Changes
This post contains references to products from one or more of our advertisers. We may receive compensation when you click on links to those products. Terms apply to the offers listed on this page. For an explanation of our Advertising Policy, visit this page.
On Friday, American Airlines sent out a brief email notifying customers who are signed up for the airline’s BeNotified service — which notifies flyers of important updates — that changes are being made to the notification system. Specifically, American will no longer call customers for flight alerts. Starting May 23, notifications will only be sent out via email and text.
In the email, American specified that the changes have been made in an effort to “keep pace with current trends in technology.” Seemingly, customers today are not interested in being bothered by a phone call when a less-intrusive email or text message are alternative options.
The airline currently offers different notification options. The BeNotified option provides alerts and updates for upcoming flights, travel delays and cancellations, bag carousel information, departure reminders and gate change notifications. Previously, the system would call regarding these flight alerts, but now the only options for notifications are via email or text.
American also provides the option to get alerts on specific flights. To do so, search a route and date of the designated flight from the “Flight schedules and notifications” page, find the flight that you’d like to be notified about, and select “Get alerts for this flight.”
For those interested in receiving American Airlines alerts via email or text, head to this page to log in to your account and set your notification preferences.
For the latest travel news, deals and points and miles tips please subscribe to The Points Guy daily email newsletter.
Featured image by Robert Alexander/Getty Images.
Welcome to The Points Guy!
WELCOME OFFER: 80,000 Points
TPG'S BONUS VALUATION*: $1,600
CARD HIGHLIGHTS: 3X points on dining and 2x points on travel, points transferrable to over a dozen travel partners
*Bonus value is an estimated value calculated by TPG and not the card issuer. View our latest valuations here.
- Earn 80,000 bonus points after you spend $4,000 on purchases in the first 3 months from account opening. That's $1,000 when you redeem through Chase Ultimate Rewards®.
- Enjoy benefits such as a $50 annual Ultimate Rewards Hotel Credit, 5x on travel purchased through Chase Ultimate Rewards®, 3x on dining and 2x on all other travel purchases, plus more.
- Get 25% more value when you redeem for airfare, hotels, car rentals and cruises through Chase Ultimate Rewards®. For example, 80,000 points are worth $1,000 toward travel.
- With Pay Yourself Back℠, your points are worth 25% more during the current offer when you redeem them for statement credits against existing purchases in select, rotating categories
- Count on Trip Cancellation/Interruption Insurance, Auto Rental Collision Damage Waiver, Lost Luggage Insurance and more.