American Airlines Extends Boeing 737 MAX Cancellations Through December 3
This post contains references to products from one or more of our advertisers. We may receive compensation when you click on links to those products. Terms apply to the offers listed on this page. For an explanation of our Advertising Policy, visit this page.
With the Boeing 737 MAX still grounded and a software fix seemingly still months away, airlines have been forced to extend flight cancellations to avoid major day-to-day disruptions. This past week, United Airlines announced that it was extending Boeing 737 MAX cancellations through December. Now, American Airlines has confirmed that it will also extend its Boeing 737 MAX cancellations.
In a press release this morning, American Airlines announced that it is extending cancellations for flights operated by the Boeing 737 MAX through December 3, 2019.
According to American Airlines, the airline made the decision to extend 737 MAX cancellations so the airline’s “customers and team members can more reliably plan their upcoming travel.” Sunday’s extension of 737 MAX-related cancellations marks the third such extension for the airline since the Boeing 737 MAX was grounded worldwide in March 2019.
American Airlines’ most recent Boeing 737 MAX cancellation extension was announced on July 14, when the airline said that it would cancel all 737 MAX flights through November 2. With American’s announcement Sunday morning, the airline has extended that timeline by 31 days.
American confirmed that the airline expects to see approximately 140 737 MAX-related cancellations per day, and noted that some flights operated by aircraft other than the 737 MAX would also be canceled to allow the airline to shift aircraft to other routes.
The airline, however, is optimistic on the future of the Boeing 737 MAX.
American stated in the release that the airline “remains confident that impending software updates to the Boeing 737 MAX, along with the new training elements Boeing is developing in coordination with our union partners, will lead to recertification of the aircraft this year.”
Passengers who are concerned about the status of their flight should contact American Airlines’ customer service directly.
For the latest travel news, deals and points and miles tips please subscribe to The Points Guy daily email newsletter.
Featured image by Max Prosperi / The Points Guy
Welcome to The Points Guy!
Earn 50,000 bonus miles and 5,000 Medallion® Qualification Miles (MQMs) after you spend $2,000 in purchases on your new card in your first three months of card membership. Plus, earn up to $100 back in statement credits for eligible purchases at U.S. restaurants with your card within the first 3 months of membership.
With Status Boost™, earn 10,000 Medallion Qualification Miles (MQMs) after you spend $25,000 in purchases on your Card in a calendar year, up to two times per year getting you closer to Medallion Status. Earn 3X Miles on Delta purchases and purchases made directly with hotels, 2X Miles at restaurants and at U.S. supermarkets and earn 1X Mile on all other eligible purchases. Terms Apply.
- Earn 50,000 bonus miles and 5,000 Medallion® Qualification Miles (MQMs) after you spend $2,000 in purchases on your new Card in your first 3 months.
- Plus, earn up to $100 back in statement credits for eligible purchases at US restaurants with your card within the first 3 months of membership.
- Accelerate your path to Medallion Status, with Status Boost®. Plus, in 2021 you can earn even more bonus Medallion® Qualification Miles (MQMs) to help you reach Medallion Status.
- Earn 3X Miles on Delta purchases and purchases made directly with hotels.
- Earn 2X Miles at restaurants worldwide, including takeout and delivery and at U.S. supermarkets.
- Earn 1X Miles on all other eligible purchases.
- Receive a Domestic Main Cabin round-trip companion certificate each year upon renewal of your Card. *Payment of the government imposed taxes and fees of no more than $75 for roundtrip domestic flights (for itineraries with up to four flight segments) is required. Baggage charges and other restrictions apply. See terms and conditions for details.
- Enjoy your first checked bag free on Delta flights.
- Fee Credit for Global Entry or TSA Pre✓®.
- Enjoy an exclusive rate of $39 per person per visit to enter the Delta Sky Club® for you and up to two guests when traveling on a Delta flight.
- No Foreign Transaction Fees.
- $250 Annual Fee.
- Terms Apply.
- See Rates & Fees