AA will install ‘enhanced’ business-class seats on newly-delivered Dreamliners starting in 2020
This post contains references to products from one or more of our advertisers. We may receive compensation when you click on links to those products. Terms apply to the offers listed on this page. For an explanation of our Advertising Policy, visit this page.
American Airlines placed a blockbuster order for 47 new Boeing 787 Dreamliner aircraft in April. The order — which would be valued at more than $12 billion at list prices — will more than double AA’s existing Dreamliner fleet.
American Airlines expects to take delivery of the first 12 Boeing 787-8 from the order this year. However, we’ve wondered since since AA placed this order: what seats would the airline use for business class?
Across its fleet, AA has many different types of premium-cabin seats. However, since American Airlines abruptly terminated its contract with seat maker Zodiac in September 2015, it has installed only one type of business-class seat: the Rockwell Collins (formerly B/E Aerospace) Super Diamond seat.
The Super Diamond is a solid lie-flat reverse-herringbone business-class seat, well-designed storage areas and an integrated shell to help provide a sense of privacy.
In fact, the Super Diamond has become somewhat of the industry standard recently; airlines such as Air Canada, British Airways, Fiji Airways and Virgin Australia all have recently opted to install a version of the seat in business class.
Since American Airlines already uses this seat on other Dreamliners, it would seem like an obvious choice for AA to opt to install the Super Diamond. That’s why I was intrigued in August 2019 when AA declined to say which seat it would install on its new Dreamliners.
I followed up on this question last week after American Airlines released its financial statements. “We have chosen a seat for the 787-8s that we’ll receive in 2020,” a spokesperson told us. “It’s an enhanced version of the Collins Super Diamond seat model that we have on our current 787-9 and some 777-200s.”
Now the question is: how will AA enhance this seat?
One option would be for American Airlines to copy its UK-based partner British Airways by adding a closing door to enhance the seat’s privacy.
Another detail that is missing from AA’s current versions of the Super Diamond seat: a retractable privacy divider between the middle seats. While having an unobstructed view of your neighbor could be a positive if you’re traveling with a companion, this isn’t a positive if you’re flying next to a stranger.
AA could opt to use the same middle-seat divider that British Airways is using on its new Club World Suite:
Unfortunately, for now, all we can do is speculate about which enhancements will be made to the seat. For now, American Airlines isn’t ready to share further details.
Featured image by JT Genter / The Points Guy
Welcome to The Points Guy!
Earn 50,000 bonus miles and 5,000 Medallion® Qualification Miles (MQMs) after you spend $2,000 in purchases on your new card in your first three months of card membership. Plus, earn up to $100 back in statement credits for eligible purchases at U.S. restaurants with your card within the first 3 months of membership.
With Status Boost™, earn 10,000 Medallion Qualification Miles (MQMs) after you spend $25,000 in purchases on your Card in a calendar year, up to two times per year getting you closer to Medallion Status. Earn 3X Miles on Delta purchases and purchases made directly with hotels, 2X Miles at restaurants and at U.S. supermarkets and earn 1X Mile on all other eligible purchases. Terms Apply.
- Earn 50,000 bonus miles and 5,000 Medallion® Qualification Miles (MQMs) after you spend $2,000 in purchases on your new Card in your first 3 months.
- Plus, earn up to $100 back in statement credits for eligible purchases at US restaurants with your card within the first 3 months of membership.
- Accelerate your path to Medallion Status, with Status Boost®. Plus, in 2021 you can earn even more bonus Medallion® Qualification Miles (MQMs) to help you reach Medallion Status.
- Earn 3X Miles on Delta purchases and purchases made directly with hotels.
- Earn 2X Miles at restaurants worldwide, including takeout and delivery and at U.S. supermarkets.
- Earn 1X Miles on all other eligible purchases.
- Receive a Domestic Main Cabin round-trip companion certificate each year upon renewal of your Card. *Payment of the government imposed taxes and fees of no more than $75 for roundtrip domestic flights (for itineraries with up to four flight segments) is required. Baggage charges and other restrictions apply. See terms and conditions for details.
- Enjoy your first checked bag free on Delta flights.
- Fee Credit for Global Entry or TSA Pre✓®.
- Enjoy an exclusive rate of $39 per person per visit to enter the Delta Sky Club® for you and up to two guests when traveling on a Delta flight.
- No Foreign Transaction Fees.
- $250 Annual Fee.
- Terms Apply.
- See Rates & Fees