American Airlines elites now receiving personal pre-flight assistance texts from Admirals Club
This post contains references to products from one or more of our advertisers. We may receive compensation when you click on links to those products. Terms apply to the offers listed on this page. For an explanation of our Advertising Policy, visit this page.
Having elite status with an airline opens the door to a lot of perks and a heightened level of customer service that can truly upgrade your traveling experience — including free checked bags, complimentary upgrades, lounge access and more. American Airlines has recently added a new perk to the list of benefits some elite status members receive: Admirals Club texts from Premium Guest Services.
Want more travel news delivered to your inbox daily? Sign up for the TPG newsletter
Some elite status members have reported receiving updates from an Admirals Club agent while they are headed to the airport to give them updates on the status of the lounge, COVID-19 procedure updates and other important flight information. These texts aren’t automated, so you’d be getting real-time updates and personalized help from an agent. In an increasingly automated customer service world, interactions with a real person can be rare and refreshing.
TPG founder Brian Kelly’s friend Lenny is among the elites who have benefited from this new perk:
Lenny is an Executive Platinum elite, meaning you don’t have to be a top-tier Concierge Key status holder to enjoy this benefit.
As reported by View from the Wing, some people have even received updates from an agent saying that they’ve blocked the middle seat in their aisle in cases when an upgrade clearing is unlikely. This isn’t a guarantee that the middle seat will be empty if the flight is full, but it does prioritize elite status members to ensure they have the greatest chance of flying without someone in the middle seat.
More room on the plane is always a good thing, but an empty middle seat also means a safer flight during the pandemic.
As travel starts to make a comeback with vaccines rolling out and travel restrictions starting to lift in some destinations, it will be interesting to see benefits airlines incorporate into the customer service experience for elite status members. Will more airlines prioritize elite status members with blocked middle seats when possible? Will we see even more personalized airport experiences to help avoid crowds?
In the meantime, this new service for American Airlines elites adds a personalized touch to the airport experience and can help elites save time and headache while flying, and middle seat blocking for elites is a great benefit for those who may not luck out by clearing the upgrade list.
Featured image by Daniel Slim/AFP/Getty Images.
Welcome to The Points Guy!
Earn 90,000 bonus miles and 10,000 Medallion® Qualification Miles (MQMs) after you spend $3,000 in purchases on your new card in the first three months of card membership. Offer ends 11/10/2021.
With Status Boost™, earn 10,000 Medallion Qualification Miles (MQMs) after you spend $25,000 in purchases on your Card in a calendar year, up to two times per year getting you closer to Medallion Status. Earn 3X Miles on Delta purchases and purchases made directly with hotels, 2X Miles at restaurants and at U.S. supermarkets and earn 1X Mile on all other eligible purchases. Terms Apply.
- Limited Time Offer: Earn 90,000 Bonus Miles and 10,000 Medallion® Qualification Miles (MQMs) after you spend $3,000 in purchases on your new Card in your first 3 months. Offer expires 11/10/2021.
- Earn up to 20,000 Medallion® Qualification Miles (MQMs) with Status Boost® per year. After you spend $25,000 in purchases on your Card in a calendar year, you can earn 10,000 MQMs two times per year, getting you closer to Medallion® Status. MQMs are used to determine Medallion® Status and are different than miles you earn toward flights.
- Earn 3X Miles on Delta purchases and purchases made directly with hotels.
- Earn 2X Miles at restaurants worldwide, including takeout and delivery and at U.S. supermarkets.
- Earn 1X Miles on all other eligible purchases.
- Receive a Domestic Main Cabin round-trip companion certificate each year upon renewal of your Card. *Payment of the government imposed taxes and fees of no more than $75 for roundtrip domestic flights (for itineraries with up to four flight segments) is required. Baggage charges and other restrictions apply. See terms and conditions for details.
- Enjoy your first checked bag free on Delta flights.
- Fee Credit for Global Entry or TSA Pre✓®.
- Enjoy an exclusive rate of $39 per person per visit to enter the Delta Sky Club® for you and up to two guests when traveling on a Delta flight.
- No Foreign Transaction Fees.
- $250 Annual Fee.
- Terms Apply.
- See Rates & Fees