American Airlines elites now receiving personal pre-flight assistance texts from Admirals Club
This post contains references to products from one or more of our advertisers. We may receive compensation when you click on links to those products. Terms apply to the offers listed on this page. For an explanation of our Advertising Policy, visit this page.
Having elite status with an airline opens the door to a lot of perks and a heightened level of customer service that can truly upgrade your traveling experience — including free checked bags, complimentary upgrades, lounge access and more. American Airlines has recently added a new perk to the list of benefits some elite status members receive: Admirals Club texts from Premium Guest Services.
Want more travel news delivered to your inbox daily? Sign up for the TPG newsletter
Some elite status members have reported receiving updates from an Admirals Club agent while they are headed to the airport to give them updates on the status of the lounge, COVID-19 procedure updates and other important flight information. These texts aren’t automated, so you’d be getting real-time updates and personalized help from an agent. In an increasingly automated customer service world, interactions with a real person can be rare and refreshing.
TPG founder Brian Kelly’s friend Lenny is among the elites who have benefited from this new perk:
Lenny is an Executive Platinum elite, meaning you don’t have to be a top-tier Concierge Key status holder to enjoy this benefit.
As reported by View from the Wing, some people have even received updates from an agent saying that they’ve blocked the middle seat in their aisle in cases when an upgrade clearing is unlikely. This isn’t a guarantee that the middle seat will be empty if the flight is full, but it does prioritize elite status members to ensure they have the greatest chance of flying without someone in the middle seat.
More room on the plane is always a good thing, but an empty middle seat also means a safer flight during the pandemic.
As travel starts to make a comeback with vaccines rolling out and travel restrictions starting to lift in some destinations, it will be interesting to see benefits airlines incorporate into the customer service experience for elite status members. Will more airlines prioritize elite status members with blocked middle seats when possible? Will we see even more personalized airport experiences to help avoid crowds?
In the meantime, this new service for American Airlines elites adds a personalized touch to the airport experience and can help elites save time and headache while flying, and middle seat blocking for elites is a great benefit for those who may not luck out by clearing the upgrade list.
Featured image by Daniel Slim/AFP/Getty Images.
Welcome to The Points Guy!
WELCOME OFFER: 80,000 Points
TPG'S BONUS VALUATION*: $1,600
CARD HIGHLIGHTS: 3X points on dining and 2x points on travel, points transferrable to over a dozen travel partners
*Bonus value is an estimated value calculated by TPG and not the card issuer. View our latest valuations here.
- Earn 80,000 bonus points after you spend $4,000 on purchases in the first 3 months from account opening. That's $1,000 when you redeem through Chase Ultimate Rewards®.
- Enjoy benefits such as a $50 annual Ultimate Rewards Hotel Credit, 5x on travel purchased through Chase Ultimate Rewards®, 3x on dining and 2x on all other travel purchases, plus more.
- Get 25% more value when you redeem for airfare, hotels, car rentals and cruises through Chase Ultimate Rewards®. For example, 80,000 points are worth $1,000 toward travel.
- With Pay Yourself Back℠, your points are worth 25% more during the current offer when you redeem them for statement credits against existing purchases in select, rotating categories
- Count on Trip Cancellation/Interruption Insurance, Auto Rental Collision Damage Waiver, Lost Luggage Insurance and more.