These secret American Airlines seats are a major upgrade — and free if you know how to request them
This post contains references to products from one or more of our advertisers. We may receive compensation when you click on links to those products. Terms apply to the offers listed on this page. For an explanation of our Advertising Policy, visit this page.
Your coach seat just got upgraded — but not to business-class or an extra-legroom Main Cabin Extra seat.
These special seats are located in two pairs on each side of Row 17, right between the first and second economy cabins.
There’s limited privacy since they’re just behind the lavatories and in the same row as a galley. (When they’re used a traditional crew rest, a thick, sliding curtain adds more privacy.)
But, relative to the standard coach seats, these are a massive upgrade.
In fact, the seats are quite similar to AA’s old biz product. They have generous recline, lumbar support and a legrest with foot support. Though they look ancient compared to today’s award-winning premium seats, I found them quite comfortable.
Like the rest of the plane, they have no entertainment screens, but there are DC power plugs. Manual and self-explanatory seat controls are located on each armrest.
Now, you must be wondering how you can score this upgrade. Well, you need to be flying on a Boeing 767 when the crew rest isn’t actually used by the flight attendants. Typically, that means the flight needs to be less than eight hours long.
Fortunately, that covers most of AA’s 767 flights. Thanks to the airline’s unique wide-body strategy, you’ll often see the largest planes flying domestic routes. That’s especially true with the 767 fleet, which mostly operates short-haul flights, including but not limited to:
- Miami (MIA) – Chicago (ORD)
- Miami (MIA) – Dallas (DFW)
- Miami (MIA) – New York (JFK)
- Miami (MIA) – Las Vegas (LAS)
- Miami (MIA) – Philadelphia (PHL)
- Miami (MIA) – San Francisco (SFO)
- Philadelphia (PHL) – Las Vegas (LAS)
- Philadelphia (PHL) – Orlando (MCO)
- Philadelphia (PHL) – San Francisco (SFO)
You won’t be able to select a crew rest seat when booking a flight operated by the 767. A quick glance at ExpertFlyer shows that these seats are blocked for gate control. That means that they can only be assigned by a gate agent right before departure.
But if you ask nicely, you may just get lucky. It doesn’t hurt to have elite status with the airline, but that’s not an explicit requirement to sitting in Row 17. When I recently flew an AA Boeing 767 from Miami to JFK, there were three passengers sitting in the crew rest, who had all asked the gate agent if they could sit there.
This deal won’t last because American plans to retire its fleet of aging 767s by the end of 2021. You have just under two years left to sit in a crew rest for the cost of a coach ticket, so get it before it’s gone!
All photos by the author. Featured image by Katie Genter/The Points Guy.
ExpertFlyer is owned by Red Ventures, the parent company of The Points Guy.
Welcome to The Points Guy!
Earn 90,000 bonus miles and 10,000 Medallion® Qualification Miles (MQMs) after you spend $3,000 in purchases on your new card in the first three months of card membership. Offer ends 11/10/2021.
With Status Boost™, earn 10,000 Medallion Qualification Miles (MQMs) after you spend $25,000 in purchases on your Card in a calendar year, up to two times per year getting you closer to Medallion Status. Earn 3X Miles on Delta purchases and purchases made directly with hotels, 2X Miles at restaurants and at U.S. supermarkets and earn 1X Mile on all other eligible purchases. Terms Apply.
- Limited Time Offer: Earn 90,000 Bonus Miles and 10,000 Medallion® Qualification Miles (MQMs) after you spend $3,000 in purchases on your new Card in your first 3 months. Offer expires 11/10/2021.
- Earn up to 20,000 Medallion® Qualification Miles (MQMs) with Status Boost® per year. After you spend $25,000 in purchases on your Card in a calendar year, you can earn 10,000 MQMs two times per year, getting you closer to Medallion® Status. MQMs are used to determine Medallion® Status and are different than miles you earn toward flights.
- Earn 3X Miles on Delta purchases and purchases made directly with hotels.
- Earn 2X Miles at restaurants worldwide, including takeout and delivery and at U.S. supermarkets.
- Earn 1X Miles on all other eligible purchases.
- Receive a Domestic Main Cabin round-trip companion certificate each year upon renewal of your Card. *Payment of the government imposed taxes and fees of no more than $75 for roundtrip domestic flights (for itineraries with up to four flight segments) is required. Baggage charges and other restrictions apply. See terms and conditions for details.
- Enjoy your first checked bag free on Delta flights.
- Fee Credit for Global Entry or TSA Pre✓®.
- Enjoy an exclusive rate of $39 per person per visit to enter the Delta Sky Club® for you and up to two guests when traveling on a Delta flight.
- No Foreign Transaction Fees.
- $250 Annual Fee.
- Terms Apply.
- See Rates & Fees