American to open brand-new Admirals Club at New York LaGuardia, consolidate terminals
This post contains references to products from one or more of our advertisers. We may receive compensation when you click on links to those products. Terms apply to the offers listed on this page. For an explanation of our Advertising Policy, visit this page.
The days of leaking ceilings, narrow hallways and long bathroom lines are coming to an end at New York’s LaGuardia airport.
On Thursday, Dec. 16, the last remaining “old” gates in Terminal B will no longer be operational as the airport begins the demolition process on this concourse.
That’s welcome news for American Airlines flyers, as the carrier will officially be consolidating all of its operations into the new Western Concourse in Terminal B. To date, the airline has operated some flights from the new gates and some from the old.
Want more airline-specific news? Sign up for TPG’s free new biweekly Aviation newsletter!
To coincide with American’s transition into the new gates, the terminal operator, LaGuardia Gateway Partners, will be opening four new gates with some additional family-friendly amenities and shops on Thursday. The only major project still in progress on the new LaGuardia terminal is the elevated passenger bridge between the headhouse and Western Concourse, which is slated to open next year.
But perhaps most exciting for frequent American travelers is that the first part of the airline’s newest Admirals Club is opening as well. American shared a handful of photos with TPG, and the new space looks like a massive upgrade compared to the one it replaces.
Once the entire lounge build-out is complete in spring 2022, the new LGA Admirals Club will span more than 20,000 square feet, with room for over 350 passengers.
The new Admirals Club is conveniently located in the Western Concourse, one floor above the gate level, and it’s accessible via a pair of escalators. Though the lounge will no longer have apron views, it will be open-air and offer views of the terminal below – in a very similar layout to the United Club in the Eastern Concourse of Terminal B.
Perhaps the only group of travelers who’ll miss the old Admirals Club is history buffs.
That’s because the old LGA lounge was also the airline’s first. It opened in 1939 as an invite-only club to select “Admirals,” which was the title given to some of American’s best customers. (Now, they’re called Concierge Keys.)
Liquor laws back in 1939 didn’t allow American to sell liquor, so the airline’s president at the time, C.R. Smith, kept a private whiskey collection at the club. That collection is still around, and it will move to the new club when it opens.
Another big difference between then and now is that lounge members were historically required to wear a jacket and tie to access the lounge.
Of course, the dress code has since been relaxed — you can come as you wish (while remaining respectful) to the new LaGuardia Admirals Club when it opens on Thursday.
Featured photo by Zach Griff/The Points Guy
Welcome to The Points Guy!
Earn 90,000 bonus miles after you spend $3,000 in purchases on your new Card in your first 3 months. Offer ends 8/3/2022.
With Status Boost™, earn 10,000 Medallion Qualification Miles (MQMs) after you spend $25,000 in purchases on your Card in a calendar year, up to two times per year getting you closer to Medallion Status. Earn 3X Miles on Delta purchases and purchases made directly with hotels, 2X Miles at restaurants and at U.S. supermarkets and earn 1X Mile on all other eligible purchases. Terms Apply.
- Limited Time Offer: Earn 90,000 bonus miles after you spend $3,000 in purchases on your new Card in your first 3 months. Offer ends 8/3/2022.
- Earn up to 20,000 Medallion® Qualification Miles (MQMs) with Status Boost® per year. After you spend $25,000 in purchases on your Card in a calendar year, you can earn 10,000 MQMs up to two times per year, getting you closer to Medallion® Status. MQMs are used to determine Medallion® Status and are different than miles you earn toward flights.
- Earn 3X Miles on Delta purchases and purchases made directly with hotels.
- Earn 2X Miles at restaurants worldwide including takeout and delivery in the U.S., and at U.S. supermarkets.
- Earn 1X Miles on all other eligible purchases.
- Receive a Domestic Main Cabin round-trip companion certificate each year upon renewal of your Card. Payment of the government imposed taxes and fees of no more than $80 for roundtrip domestic flights (for itineraries with up to four flight segments) is required. Baggage charges and other restrictions apply. See terms and conditions for details.
- Enjoy your first checked bag free on Delta flights.
- Fee Credit for Global Entry or TSA PreCheck® after you apply through any Authorized Enrollment Provider. If approved for Global Entry, at no additional charge, you will receive access to TSA PreCheck.
- Enjoy an exclusive rate of $39 per person per visit to enter the Delta Sky Club® for you and up to two guests when traveling on a Delta flight.
- No Foreign Transaction Fees.
- $250 Annual Fee.
- Terms Apply.
- See Rates & Fees