American Airlines adds 2 New Zealand routes under Qantas partnership
This post contains references to products from one or more of our advertisers. We may receive compensation when you click on links to those products. Terms apply to the offers listed on this page. For an explanation of our Advertising Policy, visit this page.
American Airlines is doubling up on New Zealand, including the only nonstop to the country’s South Island from the U.S.
The Oneworld Alliance carrier will launch flights between Dallas/Fort Worth (DFW) and Auckland (AKL) and between Los Angeles (LAX) and Christchurch (CHC) next October, it announced Monday. The new routes will be flown with Boeing 787 aircraft.
The flights come as American plans to grow by as much as 5% year-over-year in 2020. The New Zealand routes join Casablanca (CMN), Tokyo’s close-in Haneda (HND) airport, and Tel Aviv (TLV) among new flights planned for next year.
The new Dallas/Fort Worth-Auckland route will operate three-times weekly on Wednesday, Friday and Sunday westbound from Oct. 25, 2020 to Nov. 29, 2020, and daily from Dec. 1, 2020 through March 25, 2021. American will fly a 787-9 with business class and premium economy cabins on the route.
The Los Angeles-Christchurch route will operate three-times weekly on Wednesday, Friday and Sunday westbound from Oct. 25, 2020 to March 24, 2021. American will fly a 787-8 on the route.
“We see New Zealand as an underdeveloped market for U.S. tourism,” American’s network head Vasu Raja told TPG in an interview. For example, the Christchurch flight will be the only nonstop to New Zealand’s South Island from the U.S.
The new routes fit into American’s new joint venture with Qantas that is now taking shape. Approved in July, the partnership allows the two carriers to act as essentially one between the U.S. and both Australia and New Zealand. This includes coordinating schedules and fares, as well as jointly selling and marketing each others flights in both markets.
The new Auckland and Christchurch routes, while targeting primarily local traffic between the U.S. and New Zealand, are only possible with Qantas’ sales capacity Down Under, said Raja.
Qantas has already announced two new U.S. routes under the partnership: flights between Brisbane (BNE) and San Francisco (SFO) begin in February, and between Brisbane and Chicago O’Hare (ORD) in April.
Raja said that, even though formal planning for the joint venture only began in September, the “foundational pieces” of the tie up are already in place with just administrative details still in need of completion.
“These routes represent the cultural implementation of [the joint venture],” he said.
American’s new flights come as Air New Zealand continues to make a broad push into the U.S. with partner United Airlines. The Star Alliance carrier announced earlier in October that it will launch nonstop service between Auckland and Newark (EWR) in a year. Air New Zealand began service to Chicago O’Hare last November.
Featured image by Nicolas Economou/NurPhoto via Getty Images.
Welcome to The Points Guy!
WELCOME OFFER: 80,000 Points
TPG'S BONUS VALUATION*: $1,600
CARD HIGHLIGHTS: 2X points on all travel and dining, points transferrable to over a dozen travel partners
*Bonus value is an estimated value calculated by TPG and not the card issuer. View our latest valuations here.
- Earn 80,000 bonus points after you spend $4,000 on purchases in the first 3 months from account opening. That's $1,000 toward travel when you redeem through Chase Ultimate Rewards®.
- 2X points on travel and dining at restaurants worldwide, eligible delivery services, takeout and dining out & 1 point per dollar spent on all other purchases.
- Get 25% more value when you redeem for airfare, hotels, car rentals and cruises through Chase Ultimate Rewards. For example, 80,000 points are worth $1,000 toward travel.
- Get unlimited deliveries with a $0 delivery fee and reduced service fees on orders over $12 for a minimum of one year on qualifying food purchases with DashPass, DoorDash's subscription service. Activate by 12/31/21.
- Earn 5X points on Lyft rides through March 2022. That’s 3X points in addition to the 2X points you already earn on travel.