American Airlines adds 2 New Zealand routes under Qantas partnership
This post contains references to products from one or more of our advertisers. We may receive compensation when you click on links to those products. Terms apply to the offers listed on this page. For an explanation of our Advertising Policy, visit this page.
American Airlines is doubling up on New Zealand, including the only nonstop to the country’s South Island from the U.S.
The Oneworld Alliance carrier will launch flights between Dallas/Fort Worth (DFW) and Auckland (AKL) and between Los Angeles (LAX) and Christchurch (CHC) next October, it announced Monday. The new routes will be flown with Boeing 787 aircraft.
The flights come as American plans to grow by as much as 5% year-over-year in 2020. The New Zealand routes join Casablanca (CMN), Tokyo’s close-in Haneda (HND) airport, and Tel Aviv (TLV) among new flights planned for next year.
The new Dallas/Fort Worth-Auckland route will operate three-times weekly on Wednesday, Friday and Sunday westbound from Oct. 25, 2020 to Nov. 29, 2020, and daily from Dec. 1, 2020 through March 25, 2021. American will fly a 787-9 with business class and premium economy cabins on the route.
The Los Angeles-Christchurch route will operate three-times weekly on Wednesday, Friday and Sunday westbound from Oct. 25, 2020 to March 24, 2021. American will fly a 787-8 on the route.
“We see New Zealand as an underdeveloped market for U.S. tourism,” American’s network head Vasu Raja told TPG in an interview. For example, the Christchurch flight will be the only nonstop to New Zealand’s South Island from the U.S.
The new routes fit into American’s new joint venture with Qantas that is now taking shape. Approved in July, the partnership allows the two carriers to act as essentially one between the U.S. and both Australia and New Zealand. This includes coordinating schedules and fares, as well as jointly selling and marketing each others flights in both markets.
The new Auckland and Christchurch routes, while targeting primarily local traffic between the U.S. and New Zealand, are only possible with Qantas’ sales capacity Down Under, said Raja.
Qantas has already announced two new U.S. routes under the partnership: flights between Brisbane (BNE) and San Francisco (SFO) begin in February, and between Brisbane and Chicago O’Hare (ORD) in April.
Raja said that, even though formal planning for the joint venture only began in September, the “foundational pieces” of the tie up are already in place with just administrative details still in need of completion.
“These routes represent the cultural implementation of [the joint venture],” he said.
American’s new flights come as Air New Zealand continues to make a broad push into the U.S. with partner United Airlines. The Star Alliance carrier announced earlier in October that it will launch nonstop service between Auckland and Newark (EWR) in a year. Air New Zealand began service to Chicago O’Hare last November.
Featured image by Nicolas Economou/NurPhoto via Getty Images.
Welcome to The Points Guy!
Earn 50,000 bonus miles and 5,000 Medallion® Qualification Miles (MQMs) after you spend $2,000 in purchases on your new card in your first three months of card membership. Plus, earn up to $100 back in statement credits for eligible purchases at U.S. restaurants with your card within the first 3 months of membership.
With Status Boost™, earn 10,000 Medallion Qualification Miles (MQMs) after you spend $25,000 in purchases on your Card in a calendar year, up to two times per year getting you closer to Medallion Status. Earn 3X Miles on Delta purchases and purchases made directly with hotels, 2X Miles at restaurants and at U.S. supermarkets and earn 1X Mile on all other eligible purchases. Terms Apply.
- Earn 50,000 bonus miles and 5,000 Medallion® Qualification Miles (MQMs) after you spend $2,000 in purchases on your new Card in your first 3 months.
- Plus, earn up to $100 back in statement credits for eligible purchases at US restaurants with your card within the first 3 months of membership.
- Accelerate your path to Medallion Status, with Status Boost®. Plus, in 2021 you can earn even more bonus Medallion® Qualification Miles (MQMs) to help you reach Medallion Status.
- Earn 3X Miles on Delta purchases and purchases made directly with hotels.
- Earn 2X Miles at restaurants worldwide, including takeout and delivery and at U.S. supermarkets.
- Earn 1X Miles on all other eligible purchases.
- Receive a Domestic Main Cabin round-trip companion certificate each year upon renewal of your Card. *Payment of the government imposed taxes and fees of no more than $75 for roundtrip domestic flights (for itineraries with up to four flight segments) is required. Baggage charges and other restrictions apply. See terms and conditions for details.
- Enjoy your first checked bag free on Delta flights.
- Fee Credit for Global Entry or TSA Pre✓®.
- Enjoy an exclusive rate of $39 per person per visit to enter the Delta Sky Club® for you and up to two guests when traveling on a Delta flight.
- No Foreign Transaction Fees.
- $250 Annual Fee.
- Terms Apply.
- See Rates & Fees