New sign-up bonus and card design option for new Amazon Prime Visa cardholders — but is it worth it?
This post contains references to products from one or more of our advertisers. We may receive compensation when you click on links to those products. Terms apply to the offers listed on this page. For an explanation of our Advertising Policy, visit this page.
Editor’s note: This post has been updated with new information.
If you do most of your grocery and household shopping at Whole Foods and on Amazon, the Amazon Prime Rewards Visa Signature Card may be one of the cards you’re considering. Amazon Prime members get 5% back on Amazon and Whole Foods purchases, 3% back on at restaurants, gas stations and drugstores and 1% on everything else — all for no annual fee.
The card just added a new sign-up bonus and card design option for new cardholders, but is this new offer worth it?
The information for the Amazon Prime Rewards card has been collected independently by The Points Guy. The card details on this page have not been reviewed or provided by the card issuer.
Want more credit card news and advice from TPG? Sign up for our daily newsletter
New design and sign-up bonus
Chase (the bank that issues the Amazon Prime Visa) and Amazon have added a new Whole Foods centric card design option for new cardholders. And with this new design comes a new sign-up bonus: Earn a $100 statement credit after you spend $100 at Whole Foods Market stores with the card in the first two months from account opening. That’s $100 in groceries.
Those who opt for the original design of the card receive a different offer. Personally, my account lists the following offer: Earn a $150 Amazon gift card instantly upon approval. But some may see an offer for a $70 gift card instead.
Which is better?
Neither are spectacular compared to some of the bonuses worth $1,000 or more, but the $150 Amazon gift card that is instant upon approval is certainly easier to earn and objectively more valuable. However, if you don’t frequently shop at Amazon.com but do spend a considerable amount of your budget at Whole Foods, the Whole Foods offer could be more valuable.
Amazon gift cards can’t be used at Whole Foods (not even to purchase a Whole Foods gift card at Amazon), so if you are more likely to use a $100 statement credit on your Whole Foods purchases (and like the new card design), that could be the route to take. And if you are one of the people who see a lower $70 offer (and you would use the $100 statement credit for Whole Foods purchases), that is going to be your best bet.
The new card design and sign-up bonus do not change any other benefits of the card. Keep in mind that in order to apply for the Whole Foods version, you’ll need to apply through its dedicated landing page.
In my opinion, neither of these offers are standouts, and if you’re looking for a card that earns rewards on groceries, there are much better options out there.
Featured image by Jill Bressler/The Points Guy.
Welcome to The Points Guy!
Earn 50,000 bonus miles and 5,000 Medallion® Qualification Miles (MQMs) after you spend $2,000 in purchases on your new card in your first three months of card membership. Plus, earn up to $100 back in statement credits for eligible purchases at U.S. restaurants with your card within the first 3 months of membership.
With Status Boost™, earn 10,000 Medallion Qualification Miles (MQMs) after you spend $25,000 in purchases on your Card in a calendar year, up to two times per year getting you closer to Medallion Status. Earn 3X Miles on Delta purchases and purchases made directly with hotels, 2X Miles at restaurants and at U.S. supermarkets and earn 1X Mile on all other eligible purchases. Terms Apply.
- Earn 50,000 bonus miles and 5,000 Medallion® Qualification Miles (MQMs) after you spend $2,000 in purchases on your new Card in your first 3 months.
- Plus, earn up to $100 back in statement credits for eligible purchases at US restaurants with your card within the first 3 months of membership.
- Accelerate your path to Medallion Status, with Status Boost®. Plus, in 2021 you can earn even more bonus Medallion® Qualification Miles (MQMs) to help you reach Medallion Status.
- Earn 3X Miles on Delta purchases and purchases made directly with hotels.
- Earn 2X Miles at restaurants worldwide, including takeout and delivery and at U.S. supermarkets.
- Earn 1X Miles on all other eligible purchases.
- Receive a Domestic Main Cabin round-trip companion certificate each year upon renewal of your Card. *Payment of the government imposed taxes and fees of no more than $75 for roundtrip domestic flights (for itineraries with up to four flight segments) is required. Baggage charges and other restrictions apply. See terms and conditions for details.
- Enjoy your first checked bag free on Delta flights.
- Fee Credit for Global Entry or TSA Pre✓®.
- Enjoy an exclusive rate of $39 per person per visit to enter the Delta Sky Club® for you and up to two guests when traveling on a Delta flight.
- No Foreign Transaction Fees.
- $250 Annual Fee.
- Terms Apply.
- See Rates & Fees