Amazon Is Increasing the Cost of a Prime Membership by 20%
This post contains references to products from one or more of our advertisers. We may receive compensation when you click on links to those products. Terms apply to the offers listed on this page. For an explanation of our Advertising Policy, visit this page.
Amazon is set to increase the price of your Prime membership next month. On Thursday, Amazon announced that it’ll increase the price of Prime subscriptions by just more than 20%, beginning May 11, 2018 — from $99 per year to $119.
The internet giant disclosed that more than 100 million people are Prime members. During a conference call following its first-quarter earnings report on Thursday, the company’s Chief Financial Officer Brian Olsavsky said that it was forced with increasing the cost of a membership, meaning an extra $2 billion for Amazon.
“The value of Prime to customers has never been greater,” Olsavsky said. “And the cost is also high, as we pointed out especially with shipping options and digital benefits, we continue to see rises in costs. So, effective May 11, we’re going to increase the price of our US annual plan from $99 to $119 for new members.”
Current Prime members who renew after June 16 will have to pay the new, higher rate. If you’re a current Prime member who renews your membership before that date, you’ll be able to do so at the $99 rate.
This move from Amazon is the first time the retailer has raised the price of a Prime membership since 2014, when the annual membership increased from $79 to $99. Similar to this increase, the last was also a $20 raise.
Amazon cites new features as the reason for the increase. Prime membership comes with a number of benefits, including free two-day shipping on many items, as well as access to Amazon’s streaming service. With the growing number of companies that Amazon is buying, it could also be adding new Prime benefits going forward. For example, when it makes Whole Foods perks exclusive to Prime members.
Featured image by David Ryder / Getty Images.
Welcome to The Points Guy!
Earn 50,000 bonus miles and 5,000 Medallion® Qualification Miles (MQMs) after you spend $2,000 in purchases on your new card in the first three months of card membership. Plus, earn up to $100 back in statement credits for eligible purchases at U.S. restaurants in the first three months of card membership.
With Status Boost™, earn 10,000 Medallion Qualification Miles (MQMs) after you spend $25,000 in purchases on your Card in a calendar year, up to two times per year getting you closer to Medallion Status. Earn 3X Miles on Delta purchases and purchases made directly with hotels, 2X Miles at restaurants and at U.S. supermarkets and earn 1X Mile on all other eligible purchases. Terms Apply.
- Earn 50,000 Bonus Miles and 5,000 Medallion® Qualification Miles (MQMs) after you spend $2,000 in purchases on your new Card in your first 3 months.
- Plus, earn up to $100 back in statement credits for eligible purchases at U.S. restaurants with your card within the first 3 months of membership.
- Earn up to 20,000 Medallion® Qualification Miles (MQMs) with Status Boost® per year. After you spend $25,000 in purchases on your Card in a calendar year, you can earn 10,000 MQMs two times per year, getting you closer to Medallion® Status. MQMs are used to determine Medallion® Status and are different than miles you earn toward flights.
- Earn 3X Miles on Delta purchases and purchases made directly with hotels.
- Earn 2X Miles at restaurants worldwide, including takeout and delivery and at U.S. supermarkets.
- Earn 1X Miles on all other eligible purchases.
- Receive a Domestic Main Cabin round-trip companion certificate each year upon renewal of your Card. *Payment of the government imposed taxes and fees of no more than $75 for roundtrip domestic flights (for itineraries with up to four flight segments) is required. Baggage charges and other restrictions apply. See terms and conditions for details.
- Enjoy your first checked bag free on Delta flights.
- Fee Credit for Global Entry or TSA Pre✓®.
- Enjoy an exclusive rate of $39 per person per visit to enter the Delta Sky Club® for you and up to two guests when traveling on a Delta flight.
- No Foreign Transaction Fees.
- $250 Annual Fee.
- Terms Apply.
- See Rates & Fees