This post contains references to products from one or more of our advertisers. We may receive compensation when you click on links to those products. For an explanation of our Advertising Policy, visit this page.
Amazon is set to increase the price of your Prime membership next month. On Thursday, Amazon announced that it’ll increase the price of Prime subscriptions by just more than 20%, beginning May 11, 2018 — from $99 per year to $119.
The internet giant disclosed that more than 100 million people are Prime members. During a conference call following its first-quarter earnings report on Thursday, the company’s Chief Financial Officer Brian Olsavsky said that it was forced with increasing the cost of a membership, meaning an extra $2 billion for Amazon.
“The value of Prime to customers has never been greater,” Olsavsky said. “And the cost is also high, as we pointed out especially with shipping options and digital benefits, we continue to see rises in costs. So, effective May 11, we’re going to increase the price of our US annual plan from $99 to $119 for new members.”
Current Prime members who renew after June 16 will have to pay the new, higher rate. If you’re a current Prime member who renews your membership before that date, you’ll be able to do so at the $99 rate.
This move from Amazon is the first time the retailer has raised the price of a Prime membership since 2014, when the annual membership increased from $79 to $99. Similar to this increase, the last was also a $20 raise.
Amazon cites new features as the reason for the increase. Prime membership comes with a number of benefits, including free two-day shipping on many items, as well as access to Amazon’s streaming service. With the growing number of companies that Amazon is buying, it could also be adding new Prime benefits going forward. For example, when it makes Whole Foods perks exclusive to Prime members.
Featured image by David Ryder / Getty Images.
LIMITED TIME OFFER. Aside from the 100,000 points welcome bonus (available until 8/8/18), Amex recently made huge improvements to the Business Platinum Card, including the fact that you will now earn 50% more points on purchases of $5,000 or more, earn 5x on flights and eligible hotels at Amextravel.com and cardholders will receive a $200 airline fee credit each year.
- Limited Time Offer: Earn up to 100,000 Membership Rewards® Points.
- Earn 50,000 Membership Rewards® points after you spend $10,000 & an extra 50,000 points after you spend an additional $15,000 all on qualifying purchases within your first 3 months of Card Membership. Offer ends 8/8/18.†
- Get 5X Membership Rewards® points on flights and prepaid hotels on amextravel.com.
- Get 50% more Membership Rewards® points. That's 1.5 points per dollar, on each eligible purchase of $5,000 or more. You can get up to 1 million additional points per year.
- 35% Airline Bonus: Use Membership Rewards® Pay with Points for all or part of a flight with your selected qualifying airline, and you can get 35% of the points back, up to 500,000 bonus points per calendar year.
- You can also receive 35% points back on all First and Business class flights, with all airlines available through American Express Travel.
- You can enjoy access to The American Express Global Lounge Collection℠ offering access to the most lounges across the globe, when compared with other U.S. credit card offerings. As of 11/2017
- Terms Apply
- See Rates & Fees