You could still spend $1,000 a night to stay at Aman’s first new brand
This post contains references to products from one or more of our advertisers. We may receive compensation when you click on links to those products. Terms apply to the offers listed on this page. For an explanation of our Advertising Policy, visit this page.
Deep personal experiences. Sustainability. Life balance. Wellness. These are some of the touchstone values many travel brands are chasing these days. And, some hoteliers have concluded that it’s easier to custom build a concept for modern travelers than to morph an existing — and beloved — company into something new. That’s where Aman finds itself. After 32 years of sitting atop the luxury hotel landscape, it’s betting on the launch of sister brand, Janu.
For more TPG news delivered each morning to your inbox, sign up for our daily newsletter.
According to an exclusive report by Bloomberg, each Janu property will top out around 120 guest rooms and will consist of midrise buildings of six to seven stories. Nightly rates can be expected to be around 30% less than what you’d find at Aman properties, which still means $1,000 or more per night in many locations.
Janu is a Sanskrit word meaning “soul” and Aman hopes that the new brand can “offer invigorating experiences and opportunities to make spirited connections and deeply personal statements in equally inspiring destinations,” according to its website.
Launching in 2022 with three destinations — Sveti Stefan, Montenegro; Tokyo, Japan; and Al-Ula, Saudi Arabia — Janu promises to be “progressive, experimental and innovative.” Note that each of those destinations is already, or soon will be, home to an Aman property.
Janu will lean on its predecessor’s experience delivering refined, top-notch service and combine it with a more heightened focus on social interaction. Whereas Aman properties are all about exclusivity and tranquility, Janu promises to be more lively and communal.
That’s heady stuff, but likely an incredibly appealing mantra to affluent, young travelers who eschew stodgy old-style luxury and yearn for authentic experiences that leave them feeling refreshed, recharged and with some sort of personal relationship with the place they visited.
View this post on Instagram
Space is designed to be timeless at Janu, and it is a bountiful resource. Sustainable systems draw local influence into refined havens of characterful tranquility.⠀ ⠀ #Rekindlethesoul ⠀ #JanuHotels
A post shared by Januhotels (@januhotels) on
Aman promises the new brand will focus on curated art and music experiences, group yoga sessions, distinct local experiences as well as meditation and spa services. The physical space will be a mix of meeting places and quiet corners accented with mood lighting and soundscapes.
What does all this mean for the traditional Aman traveler? That depends on what you’re looking for in your next getaway.
The company says, “If Aman is sanctuary, then Janu is connectedness.” If Aman is a “refined respite,” Janu is “energy and exploration.”
If those differentials pique your interest, and you’re looking to meet kindred spirits on your next journey, add one of Janu’s forthcoming destinations of Sveti Stefan, Tokyo or Al-Ula to your must-visit list.
Featured image courtesy of Janu
Welcome to The Points Guy!
Earn 90,000 bonus miles and 10,000 Medallion® Qualification Miles (MQMs) after you spend $3,000 in purchases on your new card in the first three months of card membership. Offer ends 11/10/2021.
With Status Boost™, earn 10,000 Medallion Qualification Miles (MQMs) after you spend $25,000 in purchases on your Card in a calendar year, up to two times per year getting you closer to Medallion Status. Earn 3X Miles on Delta purchases and purchases made directly with hotels, 2X Miles at restaurants and at U.S. supermarkets and earn 1X Mile on all other eligible purchases. Terms Apply.
- Limited Time Offer: Earn 90,000 Bonus Miles and 10,000 Medallion® Qualification Miles (MQMs) after you spend $3,000 in purchases on your new Card in your first 3 months. Offer expires 11/10/2021.
- Earn up to 20,000 Medallion® Qualification Miles (MQMs) with Status Boost® per year. After you spend $25,000 in purchases on your Card in a calendar year, you can earn 10,000 MQMs two times per year, getting you closer to Medallion® Status. MQMs are used to determine Medallion® Status and are different than miles you earn toward flights.
- Earn 3X Miles on Delta purchases and purchases made directly with hotels.
- Earn 2X Miles at restaurants worldwide, including takeout and delivery and at U.S. supermarkets.
- Earn 1X Miles on all other eligible purchases.
- Receive a Domestic Main Cabin round-trip companion certificate each year upon renewal of your Card. *Payment of the government imposed taxes and fees of no more than $75 for roundtrip domestic flights (for itineraries with up to four flight segments) is required. Baggage charges and other restrictions apply. See terms and conditions for details.
- Enjoy your first checked bag free on Delta flights.
- Fee Credit for Global Entry or TSA Pre✓®.
- Enjoy an exclusive rate of $39 per person per visit to enter the Delta Sky Club® for you and up to two guests when traveling on a Delta flight.
- No Foreign Transaction Fees.
- $250 Annual Fee.
- Terms Apply.
- See Rates & Fees