Alaska flyers will soon be able to pre-order, pay for meals with an app
This post contains references to products from one or more of our advertisers. We may receive compensation when you click on links to those products. Terms apply to the offers listed on this page. For an explanation of our Advertising Policy, visit this page.
I still remember my first flight on Virgin America, with the carrier taking me from New York-JFK to the Consumer Electronics Show in Las Vegas, way back in January 2010.
At the time, U.S. airlines had yet to fully embrace technology. Virgin offered seat-back screens with the ability to order snacks and drinks without pressing the flight attendant call button — it was a posh experience, and something I never expected to disappear. In fact, thanks to digital receipts, I still have the order in my inbox — a fruit, veggie and cheese tray for $8.
Sadly, Virgin America is long gone, having been absorbed by Alaska Airlines in early 2018. But a version of that digital meal-order offering is now making its way to Alaska Airlines flights as part of the carrier’s touch-free pandemic response.
Alaska Airlines previously offered meal pre-ordering in first class, but suspended the option as part of its initial COVID-19 cuts. Now, first-class flyers once again have that option on flights of two hours or more. Further, meal pre-ordering will soon be available in Premium and economy, too, via Alaska’s website and mobile app.
Once full meal service returns to the economy cabin — a small snack and soft drinks are available now — passengers will also be able to use their phone to pay for their meals. That will allow customers to avoid handing over a credit card to the crew.
As airlines work to evolve their service during the pandemic, hopefully more U.S. airlines will roll out app-based meal ordering and payment — a feature we’ve come to love on carriers that offer it overseas, including Norwegian’s 787 Dreamliner fleet.
Featured photo courtesy of Ingrid Barrentine/Alaska Airlines.
Welcome to The Points Guy!
Earn 90,000 bonus miles after you spend $3,000 in purchases within the first three months of card membership. Plus, earn a $200 statement credit after your first Delta purchase within the first three months. Offer ends 7/28/21.
With Status Boost™, earn 10,000 Medallion Qualification Miles (MQMs) after you spend $25,000 in purchases on your Card in a calendar year, up to two times per year getting you closer to Medallion Status. Earn 3X Miles on Delta purchases and purchases made directly with hotels, 2X Miles at restaurants and at U.S. supermarkets and earn 1X Mile on all other eligible purchases. Terms Apply.
- Limited Time Offer: Earn 90,000 Bonus Miles after spending $3,000 in purchases on your new Card in your first 3 months and a $200 statement credit after you make a Delta purchase with your new Card within your first 3 months. Offer expires 7/28/2021.
- Limited Time Offer: Plus, get a 0% intro APR on purchases for 12 months from the date of account opening, then a variable 15.74%-24.74%. Offer expires 7/28/2021.
- Accelerate your path to Medallion Status, with Status Boost®. Plus, in 2021 you can earn even more bonus Medallion® Qualification Miles (MQMs) to help you reach Medallion Status.
- Earn 3X Miles on Delta purchases and purchases made directly with hotels.
- Earn 2X Miles at restaurants worldwide, including takeout and delivery and at U.S. supermarkets.
- Receive a Domestic Main Cabin round-trip companion certificate each year upon renewal of your Card. *Payment of the government imposed taxes and fees of no more than $75 for roundtrip domestic flights (for itineraries with up to four flight segments) is required. Baggage charges and other restrictions apply. See terms and conditions for details.
- Enjoy your first checked bag free on Delta flights.
- Fee Credit for Global Entry or TSA Pre✓®.
- Enjoy an exclusive rate of $39 per person per visit to enter the Delta Sky Club® for you and up to two guests when traveling on a Delta flight.
- No Foreign Transaction Fees.
- $250 Annual Fee.
- Terms Apply.
- See Rates & Fees