Alaska Airlines award tickets now bookable on British Airways website
This post contains references to products from one or more of our advertisers. We may receive compensation when you click on links to those products. Terms apply to the offers listed on this page. For an explanation of our Advertising Policy, visit this page.
After months of anticipation, Alaska Airlines officially joined the Oneworld alliance today, March 31, 2021. This means Alaska Airlines is now a partner with all Oneworld airlines, so members of any Oneworld airline loyalty program can earn and redeem miles on Alaska Airlines flights.
Alaska Airlines and British Airways have actually been partners since long before Alaska joined Oneworld. However, British Airways members couldn’t redeem their Avios for Alaska-operated flights online. Instead, the process involved finding Alaska saver award space via another airline website and then calling British Airways to book the award ticket. There was often some hold time involved and it was a time-consuming process.
But that all changes today.
Alaska Airlines award tickets are now bookable on the British Airways website and display alongside other Oneworld partner awards. This change was noticed early this morning and likely rolled out shortly after Alaska’s official Oneworld admittance.
You can book Alaska award tickets with Avios through the “book with Avios” page. You will search there like you would for any other British Airways award ticket and you should be presented with all flights with open award space. That said, BA.com is known to exclude certain partner flights, so it’s worth cross-checking with another Oneworld search tool.
You can still call British Airways to book awards not listed on its website.
Remember, you can use British Airways Avios to book short-haul flights for a very reasonable award price. Nonstop flights of up to 651 miles in length are 7,500 Avios in economy while flights up to 1,151 miles are 9,000 Avios per BA’s distance-based award chart. You can use this to score great deals on short-haul flights and — in some cases — get a better deal than if you were to redeem Alaska Airlines Mileage Plan miles on the same flight.
It’s great to see British Airways add Alaska Airlines flights to its award booking engine. This makes it even easier to get a great deal on Alaska Airlines award flights without investing the time it takes to call and secure awards over the phone. We’re hopeful that other Oneworld carriers will follow suit in the coming weeks by adding Alaska flights to their own award search engines.
Feature photo by Alex Tai/SOPA Images/LightRocket/Getty Images
Welcome to The Points Guy!
WELCOME OFFER: 80,000 Points
TPG'S BONUS VALUATION*: $1,650
CARD HIGHLIGHTS: 2X points on all travel and dining, points transferrable to over a dozen travel partners
*Bonus value is an estimated value calculated by TPG and not the card issuer. View our latest valuations here.
- Earn 80,000 bonus points after you spend $4,000 on purchases in the first 3 months from account opening. That's $1,000 when you redeem through Chase Ultimate Rewards®. Plus earn up to $50 in statement credits towards grocery store purchases within your first year of account opening.
- Earn 2X points on dining including eligible delivery services, takeout and dining out and travel. Plus, earn 1 point per dollar spent on all other purchases.
- Get 25% more value when you redeem for airfare, hotels, car rentals and cruises through Chase Ultimate Rewards®. For example, 80,000 points are worth $1,000 toward travel.
- With Pay Yourself Back℠, your points are worth 25% more during the current offer when you redeem them for statement credits against existing purchases in select, rotating categories.
- Get unlimited deliveries with a $0 delivery fee and reduced service fees on eligible orders over $12 for a minimum of one year with DashPass, DoorDash's subscription service. Activate by 12/31/21.
- Count on Trip Cancellation/Interruption Insurance, Auto Rental Collision Damage Waiver, Lost Luggage Insurance and more.
- Get up to $60 back on an eligible Peloton Digital or All-Access Membership through 12/31/2021, and get full access to their workout library through the Peloton app, including cardio, running, strength, yoga, and more. Take classes using a phone, tablet, or TV. No fitness equipment is required.