Alaska Airlines Visa Signature Adds Discounts on Inflight Purchases and Lounge Passes
This post contains references to products from one or more of our advertisers. We may receive compensation when you click on links to those products. Terms apply to the offers listed on this page. For an explanation of our Advertising Policy, visit this page.
The Alaska Airlines Visa Signature® credit card offers a number of perks that can save Alaska flyers some serious cash. And now, it will offer two more money-saving perks.
Starting June 1, 2019, holders of the personal Alaska Airlines Visa Signature® credit card will get 20% back on Alaska Airlines inflight purchases and 50% off Alaska lounge day passes. The discount on inflight purchases works the same was as with cards like the United Explorer Card and the Barclaycard AAdvantage Aviator Red World Elite Mastercard. It’s in the form of a statement credit and applies to purchases of food, beverages and Wi-Fi and should post to your account within seven days from the transaction posting date. All you need to do is use your Alaska Airlines Visa Signature to pay for the eligible purchases.
All Alaska lounges, aside from those in Seattle (SEA), participate in the Priority Pass program, meaning you already get complimentary access if you have a card like the Platinum Card® from American Express or Chase Sapphire Reserve. Additionally, Frequent Miler reports that active duty US military personnel who are traveling on orders now also get free access. However, the lounges often turn away Priority Pass members due to overcrowding. They typically don’t turn away day pass holders, however, so this could come in handy. Day passes usually cost $50 apiece so you’ll be getting $25 off. Enrollment required for select benefits.
New card benefits are often accompanied by negative changes, but that isn’t the case here. The Alaska Airlines Visa Signature will continue to have a reasonable $75 annual fee and offer new card holders 50,000 bonus miles, and Alaska’s famous companion fare from $121 ($99 fare plus taxes and fees from $22) after they spend $2,000 in the first 90 days of account opening.
Ongoing card benefits include a respectable 3x miles on eligible Alaska purchases, an annual companion fare, no foreign transaction fees and a free checked bag for the card holder and up to six other travelers on the same reservation. The airline also recently began surprising card holders with free inflight gifts like Starbucks gift cards and fruit and cheese plates.
Featured photo of Alaska’s JFK lounge by Brendan Dorsey / They Points Guy.
Updated on 9/08/21
Welcome to The Points Guy!
Earn 90,000 bonus miles and 10,000 Medallion® Qualification Miles (MQMs) after you spend $3,000 in purchases on your new card in the first three months of card membership. Offer ends 11/10/2021.
With Status Boost™, earn 10,000 Medallion Qualification Miles (MQMs) after you spend $25,000 in purchases on your Card in a calendar year, up to two times per year getting you closer to Medallion Status. Earn 3X Miles on Delta purchases and purchases made directly with hotels, 2X Miles at restaurants and at U.S. supermarkets and earn 1X Mile on all other eligible purchases. Terms Apply.
- Limited Time Offer: Earn 90,000 Bonus Miles and 10,000 Medallion® Qualification Miles (MQMs) after you spend $3,000 in purchases on your new Card in your first 3 months. Offer expires 11/10/2021.
- Earn up to 20,000 Medallion® Qualification Miles (MQMs) with Status Boost® per year. After you spend $25,000 in purchases on your Card in a calendar year, you can earn 10,000 MQMs two times per year, getting you closer to Medallion® Status. MQMs are used to determine Medallion® Status and are different than miles you earn toward flights.
- Earn 3X Miles on Delta purchases and purchases made directly with hotels.
- Earn 2X Miles at restaurants worldwide, including takeout and delivery and at U.S. supermarkets.
- Earn 1X Miles on all other eligible purchases.
- Receive a Domestic Main Cabin round-trip companion certificate each year upon renewal of your Card. *Payment of the government imposed taxes and fees of no more than $75 for roundtrip domestic flights (for itineraries with up to four flight segments) is required. Baggage charges and other restrictions apply. See terms and conditions for details.
- Enjoy your first checked bag free on Delta flights.
- Fee Credit for Global Entry or TSA Pre✓®.
- Enjoy an exclusive rate of $39 per person per visit to enter the Delta Sky Club® for you and up to two guests when traveling on a Delta flight.
- No Foreign Transaction Fees.
- $250 Annual Fee.
- Terms Apply.
- See Rates & Fees