Alaska Airlines Visa Signature Adds Discounts on Inflight Purchases and Lounge Passes
This post contains references to products from one or more of our advertisers. We may receive compensation when you click on links to those products. Terms apply to the offers listed on this page. For an explanation of our Advertising Policy, visit this page.
The Alaska Airlines Visa Signature® credit card offers a number of perks that can save Alaska flyers some serious cash. And now, it will offer two more money-saving perks.
Starting June 1, 2019, holders of the personal Alaska Airlines Visa Signature® credit card will get 20% back on Alaska Airlines inflight purchases and 50% off Alaska lounge day passes. The discount on inflight purchases works the same was as with cards like the United Explorer Card and the Barclaycard AAdvantage Aviator Red World Elite Mastercard. It’s in the form of a statement credit and applies to purchases of food, beverages and Wi-Fi and should post to your account within seven days from the transaction posting date. All you need to do is use your Alaska Airlines Visa Signature to pay for the eligible purchases.
All Alaska lounges, aside from those in Seattle (SEA), participate in the Priority Pass program, meaning you already get complimentary access if you have a card like the Platinum Card® from American Express or Chase Sapphire Reserve. Additionally, Frequent Miler reports that active duty US military personnel who are traveling on orders now also get free access. However, the lounges often turn away Priority Pass members due to overcrowding. They typically don’t turn away day pass holders, however, so this could come in handy. Day passes usually cost $50 apiece so you’ll be getting $25 off. Enrollment required for select benefits.
New card benefits are often accompanied by negative changes, but that isn’t the case here. The Alaska Airlines Visa Signature will continue to have a reasonable $75 annual fee and offer new card holders a limited time offer of a $100 statement credit, 40,000 bonus miles, and Alaska’s famous companion fare from $121 ($99 fare plus taxes and fees from $22) after they spend $2,000 in the first 90 days of account opening.
Ongoing card benefits include a respectable 3x miles on eligible Alaska purchases, an annual companion fare, no foreign transaction fees and a free checked bag for the card holder and up to six other travelers on the same reservation. The airline also recently began surprising card holders with free inflight gifts like Starbucks gift cards and fruit and cheese plates.
Featured photo of Alaska’s JFK lounge by Brendan Dorsey / They Points Guy.
Updated on 4/8/2021
Welcome to The Points Guy!
WELCOME OFFER: 80,000 Points
TPG'S BONUS VALUATION*: $1,650
CARD HIGHLIGHTS: 2X points on all travel and dining, points transferrable to over a dozen travel partners
*Bonus value is an estimated value calculated by TPG and not the card issuer. View our latest valuations here.
- Earn 80,000 bonus points after you spend $4,000 on purchases in the first 3 months from account opening. That's $1,000 when you redeem through Chase Ultimate Rewards®. Plus earn up to $50 in statement credits towards grocery store purchases within your first year of account opening.
- Earn 2X points on dining including eligible delivery services, takeout and dining out and travel. Plus, earn 1 point per dollar spent on all other purchases.
- Get 25% more value when you redeem for airfare, hotels, car rentals and cruises through Chase Ultimate Rewards®. For example, 80,000 points are worth $1,000 toward travel.
- With Pay Yourself Back℠, your points are worth 25% more during the current offer when you redeem them for statement credits against existing purchases in select, rotating categories.
- Get unlimited deliveries with a $0 delivery fee and reduced service fees on eligible orders over $12 for a minimum of one year with DashPass, DoorDash's subscription service. Activate by 12/31/21.
- Count on Trip Cancellation/Interruption Insurance, Auto Rental Collision Damage Waiver, Lost Luggage Insurance and more.
- Get up to $60 back on an eligible Peloton Digital or All-Access Membership through 12/31/2021, and get full access to their workout library through the Peloton app, including cardio, running, strength, yoga, and more. Take classes using a phone, tablet, or TV. No fitness equipment is required.