Alaska Airlines Is Surprising Credit Card Holders With Free Inflight Gifts
This post contains references to products from one or more of our advertisers. We may receive compensation when you click on links to those products. Terms apply to the offers listed on this page. For an explanation of our Advertising Policy, visit this page.
From time to time, some credit card issuers surprise card holders with random gifts of appreciation. American Express tends to be the most generous when it comes to this, sending around $250 Tiffany & Co. gift cards, BLADE gift cards and Amazon Echos to premium card holders (i.e., The Platinum Card® from American Express). However, the $500+ per year credit cards aren’t the only ones that offer surprise gifts — the $75-a-year Alaska Airlines Visa Signature® credit card does too.
Each week, Alaska Airlines picks at least one flight in its system to get a “surprise and delight.” On these flights, an announcement is made that all Alaska Airlines Visa Signature and Alaska Airlines Visa Business® credit card holders will receive a gift as a thank you for being a card holder. The gifts are usually $5 Starbucks gift cards, but have previously been fruit and cheese plates, Wi-Fi passes, lounge passes and even Alaska’s ugly sweaters around the holidays. There isn’t any rhyme or reason as to how flights are selected.
A spokesperson for Alaska explains, “We make this very fun with lots of great energy, as the card holders take out their card and waive it in the air we come down the aisle with the gift.” Card holders just need to show their cards to receive their gifts — no purchase is necessary.
Besides the chance for a free inflight surprise, the Alaska Airlines Visa Signature credit card is great for its annual companion fare and 3x return on spending directly on Alaska Airlines purchases. It is currently offering a limited time sign-up bonus of a $100 statement credit, 40,000 bonus miles, and Alaska’s Famous Companion Fare from $121 ($99 fare plus taxes and fees from $22) after you spend $2,000 or more within the first 90 days.
Featured image via Shutterstock.
Updated on 4/8/2021
Welcome to The Points Guy!
WELCOME OFFER: 80,000 Points
TPG'S BONUS VALUATION*: $1,650
CARD HIGHLIGHTS: 2X points on all travel and dining, points transferrable to over a dozen travel partners
*Bonus value is an estimated value calculated by TPG and not the card issuer. View our latest valuations here.
- Earn 80,000 bonus points after you spend $4,000 on purchases in the first 3 months from account opening. That's $1,000 when you redeem through Chase Ultimate Rewards®. Plus earn up to $50 in statement credits towards grocery store purchases within your first year of account opening.
- Earn 2X points on dining including eligible delivery services, takeout and dining out and travel. Plus, earn 1 point per dollar spent on all other purchases.
- Get 25% more value when you redeem for airfare, hotels, car rentals and cruises through Chase Ultimate Rewards®. For example, 80,000 points are worth $1,000 toward travel.
- With Pay Yourself Back℠, your points are worth 25% more during the current offer when you redeem them for statement credits against existing purchases in select, rotating categories.
- Get unlimited deliveries with a $0 delivery fee and reduced service fees on eligible orders over $12 for a minimum of one year with DashPass, DoorDash's subscription service. Activate by 12/31/21.
- Count on Trip Cancellation/Interruption Insurance, Auto Rental Collision Damage Waiver, Lost Luggage Insurance and more.
- Get up to $60 back on an eligible Peloton Digital or All-Access Membership through 12/31/2021, and get full access to their workout library through the Peloton app, including cardio, running, strength, yoga, and more. Take classes using a phone, tablet, or TV. No fitness equipment is required.