Today only: Your ugly Christmas sweater comes in handy on Alaska
This post contains references to products from one or more of our advertisers. We may receive compensation when you click on links to those products. Terms apply to the offers listed on this page. For an explanation of our Advertising Policy, visit this page.
Editor’s note: This post has been updated with new information.
In case you missed the memo, It’s National Ugly Sweater Day and Alaska is in the mood to celebrate.
As you know, there are few things we love at TPG more than scoring special perks on a flight, and early boarding is no exception. Fortunately, there’s an extra festive way to jump the line during the holidays.
For the fifth year in a row, Alaska Airlines is back with its famous “ugly sweater” promotion, so if there were ever a time to flaunt one of your grandma’s old Christmas sweaters, this is it. On Dec. 17 — National Ugly Sweater Day — you’ll get priority boarding on your flight if you don a tacky, festive or just downright merry sweater. The one-day promotion includes all Alaska and Horizon Air flights.
And that’s not all. You can get a lounge pass for 50% off.
Alaska says, “Any guest wearing an ugly holiday sweater this holiday season can purchase a day pass to one of our nine lounges, located in Anchorage (ANC), New York (JFK), Portland (PDX), San Francisco (SFO), and Seattle (SEA) for just $25 for immediate use.”
The airline is also celebrating the holiday season in a partnership with Starbucks … and a specially decorated aircraft that will fly across the carrier’s network throughout the holiday season. Naturally, it’s going to be decked out in plenty of holiday decor to spread the Christmas cheer.
And the fun doesn’t stop there. Alaska is rolling out all the stops with festive decorations and boarding music, plus free holiday movies to get you in the spirit. The airline’s lounges will have plenty of holiday-inspired beverages and cocktails.
Natalie Bowman, Alaska Airlines’ managing director of marketing and advertising, told TPG back in 2019 of the festivities, “We know holiday travel can be stressful for some, which is why we’ve made sure flying with the ‘merrier carrier’ this time of year is an experience that brings nonstop joy to all our guests … celebrating Ugly Sweater Day is just another way we’re making the holidays a priority.”
Alaska Airlines frequently tops our list of the best airlines in the U.S., and its Mileage Plan program is one of our favorite ways to use points. In fact, it’s one of the best ways to fly in business class for less, even if you don’t live anywhere near Alaska. While the miles are some of the most difficult to earn, they’re also some of the most valuable. Some of our favorite ways to use your Alaska miles are on Cathay Pacific, Japan Airlines and Fiji Airways. If you’re looking to boost your Mileage Plan balance, consider signing up for the Alaska Airlines Visa Signature® credit card.
Of course, if you’re flying Alaska Airlines (don’t forget to bring your ugly sweater!), here’s what you can expect.
Featured photo courtesy of Alaska Airlines.
Welcome to The Points Guy!
Earn 50,000 bonus miles and 5,000 Medallion® Qualification Miles (MQMs) after you spend $2,000 in purchases on your new card in the first three months of card membership. Plus, earn up to $100 back in statement credits for eligible purchases at U.S. restaurants in the first three months of card membership.
With Status Boost™, earn 10,000 Medallion Qualification Miles (MQMs) after you spend $25,000 in purchases on your Card in a calendar year, up to two times per year getting you closer to Medallion Status. Earn 3X Miles on Delta purchases and purchases made directly with hotels, 2X Miles at restaurants and at U.S. supermarkets and earn 1X Mile on all other eligible purchases. Terms Apply.
- Earn 50,000 Bonus Miles and 5,000 Medallion® Qualification Miles (MQMs) after you spend $2,000 in purchases on your new Card in your first 3 months.
- Plus, earn up to $100 back in statement credits for eligible purchases at U.S. restaurants with your card within the first 3 months of membership.
- Earn up to 20,000 Medallion® Qualification Miles (MQMs) with Status Boost® per year. After you spend $25,000 in purchases on your Card in a calendar year, you can earn 10,000 MQMs two times per year, getting you closer to Medallion® Status. MQMs are used to determine Medallion® Status and are different than miles you earn toward flights.
- Earn 3X Miles on Delta purchases and purchases made directly with hotels.
- Earn 2X Miles at restaurants worldwide, including takeout and delivery and at U.S. supermarkets.
- Earn 1X Miles on all other eligible purchases.
- Receive a Domestic Main Cabin round-trip companion certificate each year upon renewal of your Card. *Payment of the government imposed taxes and fees of no more than $75 for roundtrip domestic flights (for itineraries with up to four flight segments) is required. Baggage charges and other restrictions apply. See terms and conditions for details.
- Enjoy your first checked bag free on Delta flights.
- Fee Credit for Global Entry or TSA Pre✓®.
- Enjoy an exclusive rate of $39 per person per visit to enter the Delta Sky Club® for you and up to two guests when traveling on a Delta flight.
- No Foreign Transaction Fees.
- $250 Annual Fee.
- Terms Apply.
- See Rates & Fees