Your ugly sweater might be the trick to scoring early boarding on your next flight
This post contains references to products from one or more of our advertisers. We may receive compensation when you click on links to those products. Terms apply to the offers listed on this page. For an explanation of our Advertising Policy, visit this page.
There are few things we love more than scoring special perks on a flight, and early boarding is no exception. Fortunately, there’s an extra festive way to jump the line during the holidays.
For the third year in a row, Alaska Airlines is back with its famous “ugly sweater” promotion, so if there were ever a time to flaunt one of your grandma’s old Christmas sweaters, this is it. On Dec. 20 — National Ugly Sweater Day — you’ll get priority boarding on your flight if you don a tacky, festive or just downright merry sweater. The one-day promotion includes all Alaska and Horizon Air flights.
The airline is also celebrating the holiday season with its “Snowplane,” an aircraft that will fly across the carrier’s network throughout the ski season. Naturally, it’s going to be decked out in plenty of holiday décor to spread the holiday cheer.
And the fun doesn’t stop there. Alaska is rolling out all the stops with festive decorations and boarding music, plus free holiday movies to get you in the holiday spirit. The airline’s lounges will have plenty of holiday-inspired beverages and cocktails, including snowflake-sprinkled lattes, peppermint mochas and even a hot toddy cocktail available on Dec. 20.
Natalie Bowman, Alaska Airlines’ managing director of marketing and advertising, said, “We know holiday travel can be stressful for some, which is why we’ve made sure flying with the ‘merrier carrier’ this time of year is an experience that brings nonstop joy to all our guests … celebrating Ugly Sweater Day is just another way we’re making the holidays a priority.”
Alaska Airlines frequently tops our list of the best airlines in the U.S., and its Mileage Plan program is one of our favorite ways to use points. In fact, it’s one of the best ways to fly in business class for less, even if you don’t live anywhere near Alaska. While the miles are some of the most difficult to earn, they’re also some of the most valuable. Some of our favorite ways to use your Alaska miles are on Cathay Pacific, Japan Airlines and Fiji Airways. If you’re looking to boost your Mileage Plan balance, consider signing up for the Alaska Airlines Visa Signature® credit card. Currently, this card is offering limited time offer: 50,000 bonus miles and Alaska’s Famous Companion Fare™ from $121 ($99 fare plus taxes and fees from $22) after you make $2,000 or more in purchases within the first 90 days of opening your account.
Of course, if you’re flying Alaska Airlines (don’t forget to bring your ugly sweater!), here’s what you can expect.
Featured image courtesy of Alaska Airlines.
Updated on 9/08/21
Welcome to The Points Guy!
Earn 90,000 bonus miles and 10,000 Medallion® Qualification Miles (MQMs) after you spend $3,000 in purchases on your new card in the first three months of card membership. Offer ends 11/10/2021.
With Status Boost™, earn 10,000 Medallion Qualification Miles (MQMs) after you spend $25,000 in purchases on your Card in a calendar year, up to two times per year getting you closer to Medallion Status. Earn 3X Miles on Delta purchases and purchases made directly with hotels, 2X Miles at restaurants and at U.S. supermarkets and earn 1X Mile on all other eligible purchases. Terms Apply.
- Limited Time Offer: Earn 90,000 Bonus Miles and 10,000 Medallion® Qualification Miles (MQMs) after you spend $3,000 in purchases on your new Card in your first 3 months. Offer expires 11/10/2021.
- Earn up to 20,000 Medallion® Qualification Miles (MQMs) with Status Boost® per year. After you spend $25,000 in purchases on your Card in a calendar year, you can earn 10,000 MQMs two times per year, getting you closer to Medallion® Status. MQMs are used to determine Medallion® Status and are different than miles you earn toward flights.
- Earn 3X Miles on Delta purchases and purchases made directly with hotels.
- Earn 2X Miles at restaurants worldwide, including takeout and delivery and at U.S. supermarkets.
- Earn 1X Miles on all other eligible purchases.
- Receive a Domestic Main Cabin round-trip companion certificate each year upon renewal of your Card. *Payment of the government imposed taxes and fees of no more than $75 for roundtrip domestic flights (for itineraries with up to four flight segments) is required. Baggage charges and other restrictions apply. See terms and conditions for details.
- Enjoy your first checked bag free on Delta flights.
- Fee Credit for Global Entry or TSA Pre✓®.
- Enjoy an exclusive rate of $39 per person per visit to enter the Delta Sky Club® for you and up to two guests when traveling on a Delta flight.
- No Foreign Transaction Fees.
- $250 Annual Fee.
- Terms Apply.
- See Rates & Fees