Your ugly sweater might be the trick to scoring early boarding on your next flight
This post contains references to products from one or more of our advertisers. We may receive compensation when you click on links to those products. Terms apply to the offers listed on this page. For an explanation of our Advertising Policy, visit this page.
There are few things we love more than scoring special perks on a flight, and early boarding is no exception. Fortunately, there’s an extra festive way to jump the line during the holidays.
For the third year in a row, Alaska Airlines is back with its famous “ugly sweater” promotion, so if there were ever a time to flaunt one of your grandma’s old Christmas sweaters, this is it. On Dec. 20 — National Ugly Sweater Day — you’ll get priority boarding on your flight if you don a tacky, festive or just downright merry sweater. The one-day promotion includes all Alaska and Horizon Air flights.
The airline is also celebrating the holiday season with its “Snowplane,” an aircraft that will fly across the carrier’s network throughout the ski season. Naturally, it’s going to be decked out in plenty of holiday décor to spread the holiday cheer.
And the fun doesn’t stop there. Alaska is rolling out all the stops with festive decorations and boarding music, plus free holiday movies to get you in the holiday spirit. The airline’s lounges will have plenty of holiday-inspired beverages and cocktails, including snowflake-sprinkled lattes, peppermint mochas and even a hot toddy cocktail available on Dec. 20.
Natalie Bowman, Alaska Airlines’ managing director of marketing and advertising, said, “We know holiday travel can be stressful for some, which is why we’ve made sure flying with the ‘merrier carrier’ this time of year is an experience that brings nonstop joy to all our guests … celebrating Ugly Sweater Day is just another way we’re making the holidays a priority.”
Alaska Airlines frequently tops our list of the best airlines in the U.S., and its Mileage Plan program is one of our favorite ways to use points. In fact, it’s one of the best ways to fly in business class for less, even if you don’t live anywhere near Alaska. While the miles are some of the most difficult to earn, they’re also some of the most valuable. Some of our favorite ways to use your Alaska miles are on Cathay Pacific, Japan Airlines and Fiji Airways. If you’re looking to boost your Mileage Plan balance, consider signing up for the Alaska Airlines Visa Signature® credit card. Currently, this card is offering limited time offer: earn a $100 statement credit, 40,000 bonus miles and Alaska’s Famous Companion Fare™ from $121 ($99 fare plus taxes and fees from $22) after you make $2,000 or more in purchases within the first 90 days of opening your account.
Of course, if you’re flying Alaska Airlines (don’t forget to bring your ugly sweater!), here’s what you can expect.
Featured image courtesy of Alaska Airlines.
Updated on 4/8/2021
Welcome to The Points Guy!
WELCOME OFFER: 80,000 Points
TPG'S BONUS VALUATION*: $1,650
CARD HIGHLIGHTS: 2X points on all travel and dining, points transferrable to over a dozen travel partners
*Bonus value is an estimated value calculated by TPG and not the card issuer. View our latest valuations here.
- Earn 80,000 bonus points after you spend $4,000 on purchases in the first 3 months from account opening. That's $1,000 when you redeem through Chase Ultimate Rewards®. Plus earn up to $50 in statement credits towards grocery store purchases within your first year of account opening.
- Earn 2X points on dining including eligible delivery services, takeout and dining out and travel. Plus, earn 1 point per dollar spent on all other purchases.
- Get 25% more value when you redeem for airfare, hotels, car rentals and cruises through Chase Ultimate Rewards®. For example, 80,000 points are worth $1,000 toward travel.
- With Pay Yourself Back℠, your points are worth 25% more during the current offer when you redeem them for statement credits against existing purchases in select, rotating categories.
- Get unlimited deliveries with a $0 delivery fee and reduced service fees on eligible orders over $12 for a minimum of one year with DashPass, DoorDash's subscription service. Activate by 12/31/21.
- Count on Trip Cancellation/Interruption Insurance, Auto Rental Collision Damage Waiver, Lost Luggage Insurance and more.
- Get up to $60 back on an eligible Peloton Digital or All-Access Membership through 12/31/2021, and get full access to their workout library through the Peloton app, including cardio, running, strength, yoga, and more. Take classes using a phone, tablet, or TV. No fitness equipment is required.