BYO Device: Alaska Airlines Reduces Inflight Tablet Availability
This post contains references to products from one or more of our advertisers. We may receive compensation when you click on links to those products. Terms apply to the offers listed on this page. For an explanation of our Advertising Policy, visit this page.
Over the last few years, a disappointing trend in commercial aviation has been that a number of airlines are backing away from providing seatback entertainment. While some planes and airlines certainly still have seatback screens you can just sit down and enjoy, the current trend is to provide inflight entertainment that is viewable on your own tablet (that is fully charged with the airline’s app previously downloaded). That’s an easy enough thing to manage as a single traveler, but a much different task when traveling with a whole family.
Alaska Airlines, TPG‘s top airline for 2018, has had a relatively unique hybrid solution for those who found themselves in need of inflight entertainment. They don’t have seatback screens on Alaska planes, but they did have tablets available and pre-loaded with movies, TV shows, music, a kid’s zone and Xbox games. These tablets cost $10 to rent for the flight, or were provided complimentary to those flying in first class or with top-tier Alaska 75k elite status.
Unfortunately, Alaska’s tablets have recently become more scarce. Over the weekend, Alaska tweeted that tablets are no longer offered on all flights in order to make room for more food and beverage options.
However, after contacting Alaska (and consulting the TPG Lounge), the reality isn’t that Alaska’s tablets have been eliminated entirely, but that they have been reduced. Alaska states to TPG that:
Tablets for purchase are only available on Premium Long-Haul markets (coast-to-coast and Hawaii flights). We previously offered tablets on nearly all flights over 3.5 hours. This change went into effect Nov. 1st.
We continue to invest in our in-flight entertainment. The service now offers over 500 free movies and TV shows that guests can stream to their own devices. Guests are showing a strong preference for the service with continual growth in usage and a decline in usage of tablets – particularly on the shorter flights.
That said, there are reports in the TPG Lounge of recent Alaska Airlines trans-con flights over 3.5 hours (such as from Los Angeles to Newark) that did not have tablets. Relying on Alaska to provide a device for your family at 36,000 feet entertainment is now a far-from-guaranteed situation, so the safest solution is to pack your own or prepare for a tablet-free flight.
Welcome to The Points Guy!
Earn 50,000 bonus miles and 5,000 Medallion® Qualification Miles (MQMs) after you spend $2,000 in purchases on your new card in your first three months of card membership. Plus, earn up to $100 back in statement credits for eligible purchases at U.S. restaurants with your card within the first 3 months of membership.
With Status Boost™, earn 10,000 Medallion Qualification Miles (MQMs) after you spend $25,000 in purchases on your Card in a calendar year, up to two times per year getting you closer to Medallion Status. Earn 3X Miles on Delta purchases and purchases made directly with hotels, 2X Miles at restaurants and at U.S. supermarkets and earn 1X Mile on all other eligible purchases. Terms Apply.
- Earn 50,000 bonus miles and 5,000 Medallion® Qualification Miles (MQMs) after you spend $2,000 in purchases on your new Card in your first 3 months.
- Plus, earn up to $100 back in statement credits for eligible purchases at US restaurants with your card within the first 3 months of membership.
- Accelerate your path to Medallion Status, with Status Boost®. Plus, in 2021 you can earn even more bonus Medallion® Qualification Miles (MQMs) to help you reach Medallion Status.
- Earn 3X Miles on Delta purchases and purchases made directly with hotels.
- Earn 2X Miles at restaurants worldwide, including takeout and delivery and at U.S. supermarkets.
- Earn 1X Miles on all other eligible purchases.
- Receive a Domestic Main Cabin round-trip companion certificate each year upon renewal of your Card. *Payment of the government imposed taxes and fees of no more than $75 for roundtrip domestic flights (for itineraries with up to four flight segments) is required. Baggage charges and other restrictions apply. See terms and conditions for details.
- Enjoy your first checked bag free on Delta flights.
- Fee Credit for Global Entry or TSA Pre✓®.
- Enjoy an exclusive rate of $39 per person per visit to enter the Delta Sky Club® for you and up to two guests when traveling on a Delta flight.
- No Foreign Transaction Fees.
- $250 Annual Fee.
- Terms Apply.
- See Rates & Fees