Alaska Airlines offers discounts, reimbursement after holiday travel mess
This post contains references to products from one or more of our advertisers. We may receive compensation when you click on links to those products. Terms apply to the offers listed on this page. For an explanation of our Advertising Policy, visit this page.
Alaska has been all over the news lately for spreading its holiday cheer, from early boarding for wearing ugly Christmas sweaters to amazing deals on airfare. The airline has raised the bar for holiday travel.
Unfortunately, it seems as if holiday cheer was in short supply at the Seattle airport on December 21, as a cascade of events meant that many passengers flying Alaska Airlines didn’t receive their bags on arrival. In a total good-guy move, Alaska has called itself out on the mishap, explaining that bad weather, increased travel and a large number of employees who called out sick meant that the airline was unable to handle all the luggage.
Alaska is suggesting that if you’re affected, you should file a claim before leaving the airport, promising it’s staffed its desks with as many people as possible in order to combat the lines. Once a claim is opened, customers can go and wait for a call from the airline, which will deliver your bags wherever you specify.
While losing your bags at Christmas seems like the worst thing possible, there is a silver lining: Alaska is offering to reimburse expenses incurred while waiting for your bags to arrive. These include things like clothes and toiletries, though you’ll need to keep your receipts. You can also check your credit cards to see if they have baggage delay protection.
Even better, Alaska has promised those who encounter a delay of 24 hours or more a discount off a future flight. The airline already offers a 20-minute baggage guarantee, so this is in keeping with its policies. No word yet on the discount, but its guarantee gives you $25 for bags more than 20 minutes late, so hopefully they make this a pretty good offer.
Feature photo by Digital Media Pro/Shutterstock.
Welcome to The Points Guy!
Earn 90,000 bonus miles and 10,000 Medallion® Qualification Miles (MQMs) after you spend $3,000 in purchases on your new card in the first three months of card membership. Offer ends 11/10/2021.
With Status Boost™, earn 10,000 Medallion Qualification Miles (MQMs) after you spend $25,000 in purchases on your Card in a calendar year, up to two times per year getting you closer to Medallion Status. Earn 3X Miles on Delta purchases and purchases made directly with hotels, 2X Miles at restaurants and at U.S. supermarkets and earn 1X Mile on all other eligible purchases. Terms Apply.
- Limited Time Offer: Earn 90,000 Bonus Miles and 10,000 Medallion® Qualification Miles (MQMs) after you spend $3,000 in purchases on your new Card in your first 3 months. Offer expires 11/10/2021.
- Earn up to 20,000 Medallion® Qualification Miles (MQMs) with Status Boost® per year. After you spend $25,000 in purchases on your Card in a calendar year, you can earn 10,000 MQMs two times per year, getting you closer to Medallion® Status. MQMs are used to determine Medallion® Status and are different than miles you earn toward flights.
- Earn 3X Miles on Delta purchases and purchases made directly with hotels.
- Earn 2X Miles at restaurants worldwide, including takeout and delivery and at U.S. supermarkets.
- Earn 1X Miles on all other eligible purchases.
- Receive a Domestic Main Cabin round-trip companion certificate each year upon renewal of your Card. *Payment of the government imposed taxes and fees of no more than $75 for roundtrip domestic flights (for itineraries with up to four flight segments) is required. Baggage charges and other restrictions apply. See terms and conditions for details.
- Enjoy your first checked bag free on Delta flights.
- Fee Credit for Global Entry or TSA Pre✓®.
- Enjoy an exclusive rate of $39 per person per visit to enter the Delta Sky Club® for you and up to two guests when traveling on a Delta flight.
- No Foreign Transaction Fees.
- $250 Annual Fee.
- Terms Apply.
- See Rates & Fees